Help...I'm new and clueless: 940 OSbourne vs Adamas

I have owned 2 benchmades before. Both were gifts and never really investigated blade material and aesthetics of the knife. Unfortunately the knives were stolen and one lost. Since then I have used case pocket folders but looking at purchasing my own benchmade knife. The two that have happened to catch my attention is the 940 with S30v and the Adamas auto with D2. I understand it's two completely class of knives but I just like the feel and look of both. Question is....which is recommended in your opinion more suitable for me? I do a lot of ranchwork; cutting hay string, nets, rope, sharpening sticks, and more as a tool. I understand D2 is a tool steel and S30V is the most premium steel on the market. With so said...I am not a skilled or professional sharpener and the steel intimidates me. I plan on purchasing a Spyderco SharpMaker based off reviews and recommendations but which knife would be best suitable for the "hard work"

Adamas for hard use.

I'll leave it at that, as someone with more time on their hands can straighten out the rest of your post.

If it fits your hand being a large knife, the Adamas is a better overall choice. D2 is very tough steel. While some say it's no problem to sharpen, it's really about what (sharpening) tool you use for the job. While the Sharpmaker is OK, the standard stones will most likely not be good enough if you let the edge go dull. Go get a set of 204D (diamond) stones and that will help a lot.

First off, make sure the auto is legal in your area of proposed usage. That being said, I'm only familiar with the 940 and even that, I've only had for a couple of weeks. I like it so far.

Thank you both! I like the idea of the large blade and although large, in general most of the time I have gloves on, so in my opinion it would only be that much easier to handle as large as it is. I just want something that is really gonna hold up well. Cutting rope and boxes and feed sacks takes a toll on my case lockback and im just looking for something more heavier duty. Plus having a brother in the army and an airborne ranger at that, I like a small portion, goes toward the Ranger Assistance Fund.

nascar:

I love the way it feels and the balance of it. It almost seems perfect for an EDC maybe on campus or leisurely but on the ranch I'm curious how well it would stand.

Ranch work? Gloves on? Ranger fund? The adamas is 3-3, get that one,

Forgive me but what does 3-3 mean? Ranch work consisting of hard use applications. Gloves are bulky and not as efficient as bare hands and the larger size knife works well for that vs a smaller nimble knife. Ranger Assistance Fund...I read about it in a review.

If you are worried about sharpening you should go with the S30v. FYI it is a good stainless steel but not the "most premium steel on the market". Don't be afraid of the D2 though. As long as you don't let it get dull and just touch up regularly, you wont have much trouble. I would also like to recommend a 710. When I got mine I was deciding between it and the 940 and I'm happy I went with the 710.

I'd also consider the Benchmade 810 Contego with a 4" blade of either CPM-M4 (tool steel) or the special run in M390 (stainless). Both steels have very good wear resistance. M4 is tougher and M390 has excellent corrosion resistance.

I believe they're just different knives. Knives to be used for different tasks. I say go with the Adamas; it can handle things that the 940 can't.

I would recommend the Adamas for the reasons above. I also like for your intended use the 710 which is both hard use and able to easily slip in your pocket.

Fwiw, I prefer the non auto Adamas.

Another vote for the 710 for your use.

Here is a great resource for comparing steels, S30V and D2 are both a class 5 steel, at one time S30V was cutting edge but it's been far surpassed now days , it is still however a great EDC steel but this will give you a better idea of where different steels rank against one-another.

I would recommend the Adamas for the reasons above. I also like for your intended use the 710 which is both hard use and able to easily slip in your pocket.

Fwiw, I prefer the non auto Adamas.

The dealer I looked at actually had the 710 as well. I looked at it too. When comparing the two he kept suggesting the adamas over the 710 because of the "recurve" of the blade on the 710 would only make it that much harder to sharpen. What exactly is he referring to on that?

Adamas for hard use.

I'll leave it at that, as someone with more time on their hands can straighten out the rest of your post.

I have more time on my hands and will spend 30 seconds of it "straightening out the rest of your post" (Needlessly insulting much?). S30V isn't the most premium steel out there. That topic is subject to wide interpretation. Aside from a couple of grammatical mistakes, yours was a nicely written post providing enough necessary information to help. I suggest the Adamas.

The dealer I looked at actually had the 710 as well. I looked at it too. When comparing the two he kept suggesting the adamas over the 710 because of the "recurve" of the blade on the 710 would only make it that much harder to sharpen. What exactly is he referring to on that?

He is refering to the the curve that goes into the blade. Its hard to explain so ill get a pic in a bit.
If your getting a sharpmaker or other rod system, you wont have to sharpen it any different. I do It on stones so there is a technique to it but once you get the hang of it, its not very troublesome.

Edit: phone is spazzing and cant get a pic. Just look at the first 2 in. of blade. Its the inward curve. Maybe someone can explain it better than I.

Last edited:
The recurve is a very old design. The belly of the blade sweeps back and then up creating a powerful cutting edge. Here's a good photo of this:

It's not hard to keep these blades sharp, I use a 1/2" Edge Pro stone, and in a hurry just the ceramic rod that came with the kit.

Recurves cut like crazy because they have more cutting edge for the length of the blade and they force a more aggressive angle to the cut. They are very efficient cutters.

Using anything but old school stones, you shouldn't have any trouble maintaining it.

I usually hate recurve's but I can sharpen my 710 on my DMT stones, the recurve isn't very aggressive at all.

Back