Recommendation? Help me choose a cheap EDC

I agree with those suggesting the Kershaw Atmos.Really good action for a budget folder. This one was under $30.
ptkmaAV.jpg

Y12RLL4.jpg

I haven’t oned one so just out of curiosity, how would this do as like a work knife?

Kershaw Atmos - non-assisted flipper for around $45. One of my regular rotation EDC's
Dividend is also excellent though around $80 for the better steel.
The Atmos actually runs about $30, flips very well and has a very slicey blade to boot!

I have a Kershaw Atmos as well, it's one I wish they would make an affordable USA version of. I like the KVT bearing system a lot more than Speedsafe and even though it's lightweight it's a lot sturdier than even I thought it would be. I doubt you'll break the Atmos in normal use. In addition, that pocket clip and its narrow profile will make it disappear until you need it.

I get so tired of the crowd regurgitating the same lines about 8Cr13MoV being the worst steel of all time. I've used it, along with premium steels, and I find that it's an acceptable blade steel that doesn't take a ton of time to resharpen and gets scary sharp. A good way to discourage a beginner is to get them to try to sharpen premium steels without learning the basics on something with lower wear resistance first.

I bought the Rat model 1 and decided it was more knife than I needed...if that's possible? I then got the Rat model 2 and love, love, love it. Go for the D2 if you want but the standard AUS-8 sharpens nicely with a few strokes on my leather belt.

Good Luck!

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Looks like a Rat or Atmos will be my top 2 to look at when I finally make it ti the shop. I was going to yesterday but never made it out of the house, I was working on an aquarium stand and got lost in the details so much I never left the house!

I picked up a Kershaw Dividend (M390) a few months ago and absolutely love it. It is incredibly low profile, especially with the deep carry clip, and the ergos are nice as well. It isn't a work knife and it isn't a gentleman's folder, but a great all arounder. Lots of folks don't like the speedsafe assist, but I think it's fine. I tend to think the upgrade to M390 steel is worth the extra money, but then you are getting into a price range where you can get things like a Delica.

All that being said, if I were going for a budget EDC today, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Ruike P801. It is such a clean looking knife for $30 and everyone I have talked to loves theirs.
The Ruike P801BRK and P801SF are two of the best budget Chinese EDCs I've seen so far. They really feel and handle like a much more expensive knife...
SnbO38A.jpg

N7VJOjX.jpg

wKvde5X.jpg

rBPec4b.jpg

uOvwEKS.jpg

Back