Recommendation? Help me choose

First off, hello blade forum.

I do lightweight outdoor activities maybe.. 5 times a year (sleep in a shelter, do lightweight bushcraft stuff, wood carving etc). I don't do serious hardcore bushcrafting or survival stuff. I carry a small hultafors axe for log splitting so no batoning needed.

I'm having a really difficult time picking a new fixed outdoors blade! Budget isn't really a constraint, but I do live in Europe so that's a factor with shipping etc.

So I'm not looking for longer blades than maybe 12-13cm. Nothing heavy for chopping or batoning. More lightweight wood carving, feather sticking, that still has the ability for a little more heavy duty stuff if needed.

Any grind will do really, doesn't have to be a Scandi.

Here's what I've been looking at so far. Any suggestions etc to help me pick is most appreciated.

Helle Didi Galgalu

Casström No. 10 Swedish Forest Knife, 14C28N Scandi Grind

Bradford Guardian 5.5S, CPM 3V, Sabre

Helle Utvaer 600

Fällkniven F1x Elmax

Oh yeah I should probably add, I'm looking for a 'premium' knife. Love me some Mora's but this buy isn't that.

Last edited:
I have used the Fallkniven F1 for years, both VG10 and 3G. There's really nothing that it can;t do.
It was designed to be a pilot;s survival knife and is in use for that purpose.
The standard stick tang drops 10g of weight off the F1x which from many reports is uncomfortanle
do to the scales not fitting flush to the full tang.

They all seem to be good choices with good steels. Having no experience with any of them, I would watch YT reviews (I imagine DBK did some of these) with focus on blade geometry, heat treat, ergonomics. Also maybe try to find them in a brick and mortar shop and have a closer look if possible.. Personally I like convex and scandivex grinds more than scandi, but that's just me. Out of these I would maybe pick the Bradford because I like 3v and its higher grind. Otherwise, in this price range, I would buy a 3V Bravo 1.25 LT or a Kephart for myself.

For pure use, no aesthetic.... Mora HD Companion. Though it does look nice, too.

They all seem to be good choices with good steels. Having no experience with any of them, I would watch YT reviews (I imagine DBK did some of these) with focus on blade geometry, heat treat, ergonomics. Also maybe try to find them in a brick and mortar shop and have a closer look if possible.. Personally I like convex and scandivex grinds more than scandi, but that's just me. Out of these I would maybe pick the Bradford because I like 3v and its higher grind. Otherwise, in this price range, I would buy a 3V Bravo 1.25 LT or a Kephart for myself.
I've been looking at a few Bark River knifes like the Aurora II, but they're so hard to find in stock.

I have used the Fallkniven F1 for years, both VG10 and 3G. There's really nothing that it can;t do.
It was designed to be a pilot;s survival knife and is in use for that purpose.
The standard stick tang drops 10g of weight off the F1x which from many reports is uncomfortanle
do to the scales not fitting flush to the full tang.
How's that small handle for prolonged usage? It just doesn't seem like the nicest knife ergonomic wise

From that list, keeping in mind your location, I’d go Utvaer.

How's that small handle for prolonged usage? It just doesn't seem like the nicest knife ergonomic wise
The handle is fine for small to regular hands. I have medium hands.
But I've heard complaints about the handle being too small
for comfort from guys who claimed to have big hands.

You could look into traditional Finnish puukkos, there are certainly many "premium" ones and it seems like they'd fit your use case.

In all honesty?

in Europe you can get a custom in that price range. That'd be my first decision if time isn't a problem.

Otherwise - I'd go for 3V Bradford or A1...

I think you might like the Lionsteel T5. It really is a thing of beauty (like all Lionsteels) and very well made. The ergos due to the one piece micarta handle is particularly impressive. If you want to step it up in size, the T6 is a massive piece of 3v but might be overkill. T5 sounds just about what you’re looking for. The beautiful leather sheath alone is worth the price of admission

1703154434577.jpeg

I think you might like the Lionsteel T5. It really is a thing of beauty (like all Lionsteels) and very well made. The ergos due to the one piece micarta handle is particularly impressive. If you want to step it up in size, the T6 is a massive piece of 3v but might be overkill. T5 sounds just about what you’re looking for. The beautiful leather sheath alone is worth the price of admission

In all honesty?

in Europe you can get a custom in that price range. That'd be my first decision if time isn't a problem.

Otherwise - I'd go for 3V Bradford or A1...
Haven't considered going custom. I wouldn't even know where to start

I've been looking at a few Bark River knifes like the Aurora II, but they're so hard to find in stock.
Lucky for you, you checked in here before buying, that was a smart move on your part.

Do some research here on the Bark River brand and come to your own conclusions. I would think, in Europe, you would have many better choices, as their warranty is garbage and you very well may feel like you need it.

From your list, I have enjoyed the Helle knives that I've owned.

My suggestion Cold steel srk 3v not very fancy, but premium quality. By the way, out of curiosity, why are you specifically looking for a premium knife?

Interesting.bThe
Lucky for you, you checked in here before buying, that was a smart move on your part.

Do some research here on the Bark River brand and come to your own conclusions. I would think, in Europe, you would have many better choices, as their warranty is garbage and you very well may feel like you need it.

Interesting. I thought they received high praise in general, but good to know!

My suggestion Cold steel srk 3v not very fancy, but premium quality. By the way, out of curiosity, why are you specifically looking for a premium knife?
There's no real good answer, other than I feel like owning a more premium/aesthetically pleasing knife, compared to the Mora's i usually have with me? I think there's something to be said about a knife that makes for feel good when using it, other than the grind or alloys or metals etc. Good question

Back