Help me decide

I’m thinking of getting a fixed blade for my kids. They enjoy the outdoors (fishing and camping).

I was initially leaning towards a folder but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a small fixed blade. Ultimately I think it’s safer than a folder (closing on a finger).

This is a knife that I would hold onto but when we are fishing or camping it would be their knife to cut bait, cut line, carve sticks etc. it’s something they could have for a long long time.

They’re between 10 and 13 years old. I was leaning towards a bluegill. I think that size would be perfect for them and the intended use.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome.

I carry my Bluegill more often than not, and I absolutely love it. A lot of small knives still have a rather large (girth and height, not length) handle, but the Bluegill has a very svelte, slender handle. This allows for really great control for small tasks and intricate work. I think it would make a great first fishing/camping knife for the kids.

Thanks for posting in here O Ogilthorpe . I was actually thinking the other day that I should design a knife for kids in about that age. I honestly think the deluxe Hurley Creek is a good spot if you don't think a bigger guard is needed. I also think the element series a great first knife as the finger indents are pretty good at getting a secure grip.

Here's a link to that one as it's not on John's website: https://bladeforums.com/threads/deluxe-hurley-creek-lite.1665947/#post-19053846

As mentioned, the bluegill would be great also from what I see, I don't own and haven't tried one so I would take the above commentors' words on it before mine.

I think the compact tool could be another one of John's sleeper designs, but that is another one I haven't tried yet. It's a little bigger if you want a more multi-purpose design.

I like your thoughts against folders for kids, I have the same thought as well. I think my element will be passed down my boy once he gets older and the handle size fits him (bottom knife in my signature).

I like the HCL for a first knife. Does the Blue Gill have more of a guard than the HCL? Either would make a good one for them.

Edited to say "have more"

Last edited:
I agree on the Element EDC, it’s a model that you will find lots of uses for, and it seems to fit most hands with a more secure grip. Another idea is one of the collaboration knives that bikerector and I are doing.

I hadn’t thought about the Deluxe Hurley Creek for them. I need to look at that a little more closely. It looks to be a tad bigger than the Bluegill.

I will check out the EDC as well.

I hadn’t thought about the Deluxe Hurley Creek for them. I need to look at that a little more closely. It looks to be a tad bigger than the Bluegill.

I will check out the EDC as well.
There is a bit more handle on the DHC than the Bluegill.

do you think it’s too much for a smaller hand? It looks pretty good to me.

If you would like to try one in hand, send me an email at and I can send you one of mine to handle. It's a sheepsfoot version and the handle has an extra 1/8" on it, but it would give you a good idea of how it fits your hand. My other hurley creek is off getting a custom sheath from Ty_Higg.

If you want some size comparisons, I can try and get those too if you can give me a few knives your familiar with that I can find something close to give you some reference points.

Last edited:
If you would like to try one in hand, send me an email at c.rector at live.com and I can send you one of mine to handle. It's a sheepsfoot version and the handle has an extra 1/8" on it, but it would give you a good idea of how it fits your hand. My other hurley creek is off getting a custom sheath from Ty_Higg.

If you want some size comparisons, I can try and get those too if you can give me a few knives your familiar with that I can find something close to give you some reference points.

Very much appreciated. I will let you know. Do you have a pic of the sheepsfoot version?

This is using bocote wood for the handle.

H3PLWJDl.jpg

And a shameless plug, here are my designs utilizing the same handle as John's Hurley Creek, but a 1/8" longer since that's what I like more. The middle 3 are mine, but won't be available until early next year. The native 5 and medium SAK should give you an idea of the handle size. A lady that I work with really liked how the sheepsfoot Hurley Creek felt in her hands, so works great for people who don't have large hands or who have large hands but want something portable.

hh1UyAll.jpg

Then just combine features of the knives you like from John. I may or may have not done that already

I might actually do that. I’m going to sit down with my kids and get an idea of what color handles they like and then probably go with either a bluegill or hurley creek with possibly a minor tweak.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Last edited:
There's also the small game I think it is with a more pronounced guard. John made one with ivory scales and red liners. Looked really sharp. I'd get stainless for kids.

Back