Help me understand GEC knives

miltmaldo

Gold Member
So I'm new the GEC world and I'm completely confused by the GEC brand of knives . They have Northfield , Tidioute Cutlery , they also have a knife with lettering on the bolster ( they look awesome) most of there knives have different emblem logos on there handles . Some cost $55 and others $150 . Some go up in price ect ect .

Reason I'm asking is I had one GEC before but it was two blade and didn't like it . I just received the 71 one black , orange , and one green . I can see my self edc the 71 and I like some of there single blade pattern like the 47 in ODGreen . But before I start buying them I'll like to know more about them and the difference between them . And what makes one better than the other if there is one .

Thanks

Last edited:
There are some that are really popular, and some that aren't
The popular ones fetch a premium on the secondary market. They're all usually made to the same quality, though. At the end of the day, the one that's "best" is between you and your hand. I personally like single blade jacks and 2 blade pens. I have a whittler that's cool, I don't need 3 blades but I like the knife enough to give the 3rd blade a pass.

Some are prettier than others. A few come in 440C if you like stainless, which I do, and I do like 440C.

So do they make the same knife . Let's say a the 72 pattern. One with the Tidioute Cutlery name and the other one with the Northfield . The Northfield being the premium with better quality control and better material.

Yes, sometimes. The quality control is the same, just some of the trim details and cover choices.

So do they make the same knife . Let's say a the 72 pattern. One with the Tidioute Cutlery name and the other one with the Northfield . The Northfield being the premium with better quality control and better material.

I'm under the impression that the quality control is the same across the board. Northfields are more embellished than Tidioutes (swedges, polished blades, pinched and/or threaded bolsters, etc.) but a Tidioute will have the same quality build as a Northfield or a GEC branded knife. If you happen to prefer the satin finished blades on Tidioute knives for example, you can expect the same quality as a Northfield. It just might not be as pretty.

Edit: John beat me to it as I was typing.:)

Ok been watching some YouTube . So what's the difference between the GEC and the other two seems to me they have three Brands . The other questions is the number they use is it for a specific body let's say the 74 and then they will use different blade shapes .

Ok been watching some YouTube . So what's the difference between the GEC and the other two seems to me they have three Brands . The other questions is the number they use is it for a specific body let's say the 74 and then they will use different blade shapes .

From GEC's website:
GEC said:
Tang Number Chart

Main Blade Identity

0.Wharncliffe
1. Regular Clip
2. Regular Spear
3. Sheep Foot
4. Spey
5. Drop Point/Skinner
6. Sabre Clip
7. Sabre Spear
8. Muskrat Clip
9. Cotton Sampler

For Example: if the Tang Stamp reads 735208

# 73 = Pattern number

5 = the main blade (Drop point/Skinner)

2 = the knife has 2 blades

08 = it was made in 2008

The Great Eastern brand uses 440C most of the time while Northfield and Tidioute are 1095. There is also the Farm & Field line which used O1 in the first run and 1095 in the later runs of those knives. There are a few exceptions to those general rules, also. In addition to their own brands, they have also done a number of special factory orders (SFO) for other companies such as Schrade, Bulldog, and Northwoods just to name a few. There are many others besides those. The pattern number refers to the frame the knife is built on, while the name is for a specific combination of frame and blades.

I have the same thoughts/ questions. Still don't have a full understanding. Maybe that's the mystique about GEC. I think your fear, like mine, is that I will pay the premium price for the less desirable brand.
So I'm new the GEC world and I'm completely confused by the GEC brand of knives . They have Northfield , Tidioute Cutlery , they also have a knife with lettering on the bolster ( they look awesome) most of there knives have different emblem logos on there handles . Some cost $55 and others $150 . Some go up in price ect ect .

Reason I'm asking is I had one GEC before but it was two blade and didn't like it . I just received the 71 one black , orange , and one green . I can see my self edc the 71 and I like some of there single blade pattern like the 47 in ODGreen . But before I start buying them I'll like to know more about them and the difference between them . And what makes one better than the other if there is one .

Thanks

GEC was the Brand that brought me to Blade Forums. There all well done exceptional traditional pocket knives. That's not just my opinion it's a fact. Like has been mentioned earlier it's the real popular patterns that fetch large secondary market prices. Like the #15s and the #85s most all the whittlers and of course the most popular of them all The TC Barlow the knife that was mentioned in the original post. They can bring anywhere from $160 to $300 or more depending on the particular run it is and the people doing the selling and buying. The best edvice I think I could give is just watch the exchange and the GEC Thread's on here and you wont be long figuring out everything you need to know. Good luck. :D

Can anybody axplain me the reason to use a carbon steel i.o stainless these days? I'm a big fan of GEC products (especially wharnies) but it makes me sick, what happens to the blade. I can't keep it soaked in in oil all the time..

I have the same thoughts/ questions. Still don't have a full understanding. Maybe that's the mystique about GEC. I think your fear, like mine, is that I will pay the premium price for the less desirable brand.

Actually, there isn't a mystique about the brand. Many posters have included very relevant links that help answer the questions, just read them. GEC's own website also contains plenty of information about its brands, patterns and production history.

Premium price may be driven by perceived fashion, you should monitor the Exchange and releases for a while to gauge price levels. The only 'less desirable brand' is the knife you yourself don't like, you cannot say Northfield is more desirable than Tidioute, they just have aesthetic differences. You may be confusing the word brand with pattern though.

Regards, Will

Can anybody axplain me the reason to use a carbon steel i.o stainless these days? I'm a big fan of GEC products (especially wharnies) but it makes me sick, what happens to the blade. I can't keep it soaked in in oil all the time..

Well, I like stainless knives too and GEC's 440c is rather rare. However, the house philosophy behind GEC knives is biased in favour of carbon, this is likely the owner's preference.

But I simply don't agree with you about having to keep the blade soaked in oil all the time. What you mean is you don't like patina on the blade? If you use a knife frequently it will not rust or stain unpleasantly, just wipe it after use. I actually put many of my carbon blades under a scalding hot tap after use and dry immediately with a towel. This cleans the blade and keeps rust off. It's not using a carbon knife, leaving it laying around un oiled in a desk or drawer that can lead to rust or tarnish.

The carbon steel they use, 1095, is a good steel for knife manufacturing. As a material it is relatively problem free when it comes to machining, polishing and heat treat. It can be heat treated to a variety of hardness and strength characteristics depending upon the use of the blade. There is also a group of customers who like traditional knives in traditional steel, so they have no trouble selling what they make.

If you want to keep 1095 shiny, use Flitz or some other polish at the end of every day and put on some Ren Wax or oil to protect it, make sure you rinse the blade and dry after cutting acidic material.

So when are the TC Barlow coming out . I want one

Your guess is probably as good as anyone else's here (other than Charlie). There was a good-sized run of single clip TCs just before Christmas, and they've been showing up on the exchange fairly regularly since. I would keep an eye out there.

Are you averse to a patina developing on your blade (which I find to be perfectly normal and healthy for a carbon steel blade) or are you simply against taking chances because carbon steel will rust if not properly maintained?

I think there are pros and cons to both traditional stainless and carbon steels, though I find that I prefer carbon steel myself. Continued use with proper attention and maintenance will keep your blade rust free and you certainly do not need to keep it soaked in oil all the time. Ultimately it comes down to a matter of personal preference though, and some folks like the "no hassle" approach with stainless.

So when are the TC Barlow coming out . I want one

There is usually one or two runs of those each year. Watch GEC's website, sometimes Charlie doesn't make an announcement. For more info, send me a PM so we don't break any forum rules discussing how to buy.

Back