Help my friend find a knife for gardening and household tasks?

Both 14C28N and D2 will be decent, D2 is harder to sharpen but will stay sharp for longer.
Either steel will last longer than the joint where blade is mounted.

If he really cares about toughness - he should get a fixed blade.

Why would anyone pick a folder for gardening is beyond me, since they are a pain to maintain and clean in such conditions, and they generally lack toughness compared to fixed blades. And fixed blades are also generally cheaper, for obvious reasons.

I'll say what others said already - Getting a Mora would be his best bet.

Right size and blade shape and not scary looking
BUT it does run on bearings so nevermind

Hultafors GK. Good for all the reasons a Mora is good, thick blade like a Mora Robust, but best of all, an oversized handle in rustoleum green that makes it look perfect as a garden knife.

Case Hawkbill pruner. You did say gardening and general cutting tasks. 2600 years ago people knew this was the best agricultural knife ( look up Halstatt knife if I knew how to provide a link I would) and it still is.

I agree. If your friend is okay with a fixed blade, a Mora with stainless steel blade will do the trick. It’s reliable and inexpensive. However, do be mindful it’s still primarily a cutting tool. Activities like prying, digging and batoning may result in breakage.

But if he or she needs to have a folder, I recommend the 4” Aus10a Cold Steel Voyager. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a tougher folder at a sub-$70 price point.

The Voyager is a fine gardening knife. I haven t broken mine yet.

My edc for use around the house, yard, and shop is a GB 1. It holds an edge for quite a while and I like the feel, fit and finish of it. Not a cheap knife, more in the mid-range for good folders. If you want a tough knife you must consider this one.

Last edited:
The Voyager is a fine gardening knife. I haven t broken mine yet.
If I had to have a designated folder for garden use, the Voyager is tough to beat. If OP wants a higher end blade and some G10 scales, the Recon 1 or Lawman is a good choice too. IIRC, those knives are about $100 on BladeHQ.

Both 14C28N and D2 will be decent, D2 is harder to sharpen but will stay sharp for longer.
Either steel will last longer than the joint where blade is mounted.

If he really cares about toughness - he should get a fixed blade.

Why would anyone pick a folder for gardening is beyond me, since they are a pain to maintain and clean in such conditions, and they generally lack toughness compared to fixed blades. And fixed blades are also generally cheaper, for obvious reasons.

I'll say what others said already - Getting a Mora would be his best bet.
It’s a bit of a bitch when dirt and other stuff get into the scales, but if you don’t mind cleaning your knife, it could work I guess. A fixed blade would be easier to clean.

Not if you look at the OP's requirements.

Yes, but the criteria was set by the OP and not by the friend he " convinced " to get a knife who will be using it.
Had they discussed it and came up with some things, it would he different.

I don't particularly like Moras scandi grind, but the are a good choice for this.

" won't get gunkes up "
" one hand "
" leans towards toughness "
" gardening "

And when it gets all dirty from gardening you can just rinse it off.
The plastic sheath can also be rinsed right out.

The OP may like some kind of trendy fancy folder, but it's not the best choice for gardening.

Yes, but the criteria was set by the OP and not by the friend he " convinced " to get a knife who will be using it.
Had they discussed it and came up with some things, it would he different.
And how do you know that? My point in replying to you is that saying things in absolute terms like "best" isn't very helpful, especially when you haven't suggested something even close to being within the given requirements. Avoid the absolutes. I just got back inside from weeding my garden and I didn't use a mora, things worked out okay with just this:

dcGsKcoh.jpg

I don't think it was the "best" for the job, but it fit my requirements perfectly. Just like the OP, I required a pocket knife ;)

And how do you know that? My point in replying to you is that saying things in absolute terms like "best" isn't very helpful, especially when you haven't suggested something even close to being within the given requirements. Avoid the absolutes. I just got back inside from weeding my garden and I didn't use a mora, things worked out okay with just this:

dcGsKcoh.jpg

I don't think it was the "best" for the job, but it fit my requirements perfectly. Just like the OP, I required a pocket knife ;)

I understand.
However he did say " I'm thinking ", not " she wants " ...ect.

You're a knife person, his friend is not and well what would you give a non knife person who's gonna use it for dirty work, whose likely gonna ride it hard and put it up wet ?
For just garden work and household cutting tasks ?
They can get a Mora for that and if they start to appreciate the value of a good cutting tool then look into getting a pocket knife to carry.

I'm just thinking about this logically and what has happened to various knives I've bought for those who weren't necessarily knife people like I am.
I thought they should have a good knife, got them one, and the results were not as I had hoped for.

I understand.
However he did say " I'm thinking ", not " she wants " ...ect.

You're a knife person, his friend is not and well what would you give a non knife person who's gonna use it for dirty work, whose likely gonna ride it hard and put it up wet ?
For just garden work and household cutting tasks ?
They can get a Mora for that and if they start to appreciate the value of a good cutting tool then look into getting a pocket knife to carry.

I'm just thinking about this logically and what has happened to various knives I've bought for those who weren't necessarily knife people like I am.
I thought they should have a good knife, got them one, and the results were not as I had hoped for.
Ugh. :rolleyes:

Back