Help Us Build A Buck Knives 110 (Free Knife Drawing)

What configuration do you want to see?

• Blade Shape: Clip Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blade Shape: Drop Point

• Blade Steel: D2

• Blade Steel: BG-42

• Blade Steel: S90V

• Blade Finish: Mirror

• Blade Finish: Satin

• Blade Finish: Stonewash

• Nail Notch

• NO Nail Notch

• Inlay Material: Carbon Fiber

• Inlay Material: Black Micarta

• Inlay Material: Navy Blue Micarta

• Bolsters: Aluminum

• Bolsters: Nickel Silver

• If Aluminum: Pocket Clip

• If Aluminum: NO Pocket Clip

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
sure. i touch up s90v knives i already own on ceramics, but reprofiling i have to use Diamond plates and lots and lots and lots of time.

A profiling is a one time effort. Once it's done you'll likely not do it again for that knife. What are you taking the primary bevel down to? DM

A profiling is a one time effort. Once it's done you'll likely not do it again for that knife. What are you taking the primary bevel down to? DM

typically 15 each side or 30 inclusive....then i put a 20 each side microbevel. seems to work well enough on most tasks and steels. super steels sometimes i do it differently with steeper angles or no microbevel.

i like to reprofile factory knives originally free handed sharpened as the bevels are often very different angles across each side of the blade and for that matter on the same side of the blade bevel can be wildly different from the tip to the base.

there is a reason i like this though, Sir. cause i like the sharpmaker for quick touchups and once reprofiled to match i dont have to remember and play with angles to keep sharp quickly. can do the same on a bench stone freehand but i just like the sharpmaker.

I voted clip point, black micarta, bg42 (but after thinking more I'd probably change that to the S90V, though I've not used either).

Satin, nickle silver

I read some that say a ceramic stone won't sharpen S90V only diamond. Others write that SiC and ceramic will sharpen it. Ceramic is aluminum oxide fired hotter with different binders. Which the carbides come out not as hard as Crucible states their vanadium carbides at. This is why many write that only diamond is hard enough to cut these V carbides. Which I can see. But the flip side to this coin is that the vanadium carbides are very small 5u. Hence, a grit the size of XX fine diamond is needed to cut these. So, this beckons the question; are you using this fine of a diamond stone? Otherwise the vanadium carbides could be passed over by a more coarse stone and remain untouched. i.e. steel removed from the matrix and the V carbides not.
I own a X coarse, coarse and fine diamond stones and have no intentions toward purchasing a finer diamond stone. So, I can use these or my fine and X fine SiC stones (up to 500 grit). I have ceramic stones that will take it fine enough to encounter the V carbides but I don't care to take a everyday user knife that fine. And the ceramic stones are not hard enough to cut the V carbides anyway... So, this is the short of the equation on sharpening Vanadium carbide steels. DM

Last edited:
I voted nail nick WITH a clip point. I just think the clip point looks better and more traditional with it, but I am not at all opposed to a drop point without a nick.
However, I do like having a nail nick(regardless of the blade shape), because it helps with one hand opening when used like a thumb stud. Then again, the only time I open a 110 like that is when I'm playing with it. If I'm at work and need to open it one handed I usually just do the ol' grab the blade and flick the handle down trick.

I read some that say a ceramic stone won't sharpen S90V only diamond. Others write that SiC and ceramic will sharpen it. Ceramic is aluminum oxide fired hotter with different binders. Which the carbides come out not as hard as Crucible states their vanadium carbides at. This is why many write that only diamond is hard enough to cut these V carbides. Which I can see. But the flip side to this coin is that the vanadium carbides are very small 5u. Hence, a grit the size of XX fine diamond is needed to cut these. So, this beckons the question; are you using this fine of a diamond stone? Otherwise the vanadium carbides could be passed over by a more coarse stone and remain untouched. i.e. steel removed from the matrix and the V carbides not.
I own a X coarse, coarse and fine diamond stones and have no intentions toward purchasing a finer diamond stone. So, I can use these or my fine and X fine SiC stones (up to 500 grit). I have ceramic stones that will take it fine enough to encounter the V carbides but I don't care to take a everyday user knife that fine. And the ceramic stones are not hard enough to cut the V carbides anyway... So, this is the short of the equation on sharpening Vanadium carbide steels. DM

i have diamond plates from grit around 80 up to over 1000. yes Sir...not really trying attempts at mirror polishing or anything like that. just reprofiling. these super steels start to make me question how great a steel needs to be. holding an edge a long time is great but getting it back and taking a very long time and effort, not so much a great thing to me. yet i steel buy lots of different knives with these steels to find out. i was born a fool i guess. part of the reason i really like bucks 420hc and heat treat is the ease of reprofiling and keeping sharp. its boring to many but to me its a good steel choice for what most of us use our knives for and the equipment we already have to get them sharp again.

So, if you're going to just the green DMT stone (1200 grit) your not shaping / cutting the V carbides. You have to go to the tan stone (8000 grit) (about 2000 grit American).
Just what some write about. However, Ankerson a respected Blade Forum member says he gets good results using a 500 grit SiC stone on S90V and I trust his work. I should
say I've done the same with S60V with good results. I've also gotten good results with S60V using a Spyderco ceramic stone. It was slow but worked. So, what the heck. Proofs in the pudding. DM

Interesting vote results so far. My picks were outvoted in all but two choices. Can't wait to see the pics of the end result.

I was a up in the air about certain features. While I would certainly like to see something new such as a drop point and a pocket clip, I decided that I would go with keeping it classic. s90v and mirror finish for something new. clip point, nail nick, black micarta, and nickel silver to keep it classic

I'm thinking no matter the end result, I'm buying one anyways!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Voted and in, great idea

Thanks
G2

Back