Help?! Which one first???

Bobby B

No more Mr. Knife-guy
As I mentioned in a pix and steals thread, I have never held, used or had a Khukuri, but think I'd like to give it a try!!!:D

I'm just not sure which!? I am leaning towards the BAS, WWII, and M43.:confused:

What I intend to use it for is "clean-up" in my yard. I have some saplings to clear, some old vines choking trees, a couple of thorny bushes to remove, some fallen trees to remove the branches from, etc... as well as whatever other excuse I can invent to try one... ;)

Am I heading in the right direction? What are your thoughts? I am not into the martial arts use for these, just the working aspect.

Opinions are welcome, thanks!:D

For chopping, especially around your property,
where you're not carrying it up and down hills on your belt,
I'd vote for the 18" AK.

I've used it to replace Ax, pick, shovel, spokeshave, and,
believe it or not, knife.

My field report on it is here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=225531

Usually the accessory knife with this blade is equivalent
to a small sheath knife.

The BAS is too small for my taste.
The WWII may be a better chopper than the M43,
but it's not as pretty.
All 3 are tool/weapon general issue military blades.
18" Ganga Ram similar to AK.
An 18-20" Sirupati would be an option too.
Gelbu Special would work fine, but it's also a weapon design;
the Kobra even more so.

Basic rule is:
The broader, weightier the blade around the belly,
the more it's intended as a chopper.

You would like the BAS, and it would work fine for you,
but, you'd probably start wishing for a longer reach;
As well as for something heavier for more convenient wood chopping.

I think any of those three will do you right. I have an M43 and it has a smallish handle compared to some other models of its size, so you may want to go with a WW2 or BAS.
Though, nothing beats an Ang Khola for the old chop chop. I have a Chiruwa (full tang) model, and love it. The regular AK models have less hand shock I'm told, from the rat tail tang.
I think you'll be happy with any of the ones you mentioned.

Welcome to the Cantina!
IMHO (one of many I am sure) owning and having used all that you mention for the same type of work, any will be fine.
Depending on your build, hand size and strength and the size of the stuff you want to cut (see Uncle Bill's comments) I would suggest a large AK with a wooden handle.
The M43 is a beauty but not that heavy, the BAS and WWII again lack some of the brute force of a BIG AK.
I like the wood for the feel and the grip, that a personal preference of course, and to swing a HI AK, well, ever heard of nirvana?
Good luck, I am sure you will make the right choice as here there isn't a wrong choice....

WW2 16.5" is my idea of the nee plus ultra. Proof that no matter what they say, there is still magic around.

WW2 18" is nice if you are bigger.

M43 will enchant you.

18" AK probably do well for you.

Uncle Bill recommends 15" AK for newbies. ( Pulling the 15" AK got instant attention on the blue line in Beirut. )

So which do you like: blondes, brunettes, redheads, or raven-tressed beauties? In this case you really can have them all, cause khuks like company.

Moseys off humming "to fight the unbeatable foe, to bear with unbearable sorrow, ... to reach the unreachable star!!!!"
;) :p :D

Call & get Uncle Bill's advice. He is a wealth of information & can help you make a decision that you will be happy with. Once that's done, be careful......the virus is catching.

Uh Oh, Bobby I had these same questions. I just placed an order for the BAS. I hope the virus doesn't get me too quickly :)
Good info.
Thanks
Tom

M43 17" vs GRS 17" & 18" vs AngKhola 17" & 18" vs WWII 17"

These all weigh about ~28 ounces (1-3/4 pound)
BUT
Depending on the kami & other factors,
they may run from 24 -> 33oz for the same length.

5-14-3m43.JPG

5-14-3grs.JPG

5-8-3bgrs.JPG

5-12-3cak.JPG

4-25-3-ak6.JPG

653WWII.JPG

Oh no !! Is this the effects of the virus?
They are beautiful pieces :
Tom

My $.02...get a 16.5" Chiruwa AK. If you find something it won't cut then you'll need a chainsaw. Nice compromise of weight, balance and length, IMHO. Next would be a 18" AK. :cool:

outta the 3 you mentioned...the 16.5 WWII would be my pick with a wood handle for a better grip when the hand sweats unless you have gloves on then it does not matter but what your preference is...
WWII, nice handle size and light at 1 lbs 5oz for the wood "!" Kami made WWII
sweet-359.jpg

the M43 handle is a little small in length so when I chop and dont pay attention the upper pommel point sometimes digs into my palm for me + it is on the heavy side 1 lbs 12 oz but a pure beast when you have heavy work to be done
sweet-335.jpg

need to buy a wood handle BAS that is light in weight...Uncle will you be putting any up??

Bobby B:

Sounds like you are gravitating toward khuks which have a military pedigree, but don't forget about those AKs. Ddean is right on when he mentions the utility of the 18 incher. My 18" AK is what I would grab for the tasks you mention, but the 15" is a handier size for wearing all day. The 12" is no slouch either and is capable of alot more than it looks like.

If you need an army khuk though, I would look for the heaviest one you can get which is probably the longer of the WWIIs. Out in the woods bigger is usually better in my experience.

Bobby, I like those SOGs too! Have a Seal and a Tigershark. If you like those your gonna love khuks. Can't go wrong with any of the deals of the day. Those 20" sirupatis are a good way to go. Seems to be about the optimum length for that knife. The chiruwa is the ultimate tactical knife on the planet! Best guarantee too!:D

The question, Which one first? implies you will eventualy get all mentoned, and others, for your collection. I can only think, "An excellent choice."

What a helpful bunch!
Bill's recommendation is the WWII, so I will definitely consider that!
As for my preference, it's not so much for military pedigree, but what I thought was the best "compromise". The AK has been mentioned a lot too. I am wondering about the weight difference? My guess is about 16.5 to 18" is about right for what I want.:confused:

Once my little girl is a little older (she's 7 months now) I'll probably go back to scouting, and may take it on camping trips...:eek:

Yes, BTW...;) I suspect first is a true statement...

Though I looked at the safety thread...:eek: :eek: :eek: ... I'll be extra careful how I un-sheath and swing it!

Originally posted by ed tank

"An excellent choice."

I think so too.
Whatever you choose, you/it will find it's proper use and place.

Sound rather vague, enigmatic? Once you get the "First" you'll understand.;)

Bet you'll even like it in ways you never thought possible.:cool: :D

Welcome Bobby B.

Shirley

Bobby,

Going to be at Blade? ;)

Here's my honest-to-goodness assessment:

If you've never owned a knife over 15" then get a BAS. It'll get a heckuvalotta work done and it's easy to carry around.

Once you've acclimated to the BAS - you'll be able to better decide what suites you more.

Personally, I've gone up through most sizes and don't use anything less than 18" now. I just have different needs...:D

If you have owned and used larger knives (not swords or machetes) then go with a 16.5" WWII Chiruwa. You'll be impressed by the balance, it will be heavy enough to chop with and looks neat too.

I have a hard time recommending 18"+ for first-timers because its kind of like starting out a book in Chapter 2...knowhutImean?

Hope this helps.

Dan

Welcome to the Psycho Warb Bobby.:D
Get 'em all. Yer gonna end up with several ennyway.;) :rolleyes: :p

Back