Here's a weird question: Who makes the best scissors?

Hey all :)

All the pairs of scissors around my house are just junk. You use them for a few months & they go dull. I have the Sharpmaker kit & I know I could go at them with it......but is it worth the effort or should I just get a really good pair around the house?

I am not familiar with scissors & I don't know if they are like knives or not.

Higher the cost, higher the quality & better cutting that lasts longer? (which isn't always the case with knives ;) )

Any help is always appreciated.

Adam

KaiCut...made by Kershaw, I believe. The GF uses them a lot for fabric cutting, and they go through it like butter. Nice feel in the hand, and sharp as hell...

You have a cool tool like the Sharpmaker and you DON'T sharpen your scisssors? I sharpened everything I could lay my hands on, including the vegetable peeler! My wife had to bolt out the door! Shame!!

Acolyte.

I can watch TV while ironing... while polishing my shoes...while sharpening...which do you prefer?

PS Its really a snap to sharpen scissors with the Sharpmaker. You'll enjoy it, trust me.

I'll give the sharpmaker a try.......hell, I have to learn how to do it properly anyway....might as well start out with all the crappy scissors around the house. If I screw any of them up...then GOOD!

Still though, I plan on buying a really nice pair & hide them from the wife! :D

Cool everybody! I thank you for your responses. When I have a moment later I'll start the searching process & see what I can come up with. :)

Acolyte said:
You have a cool tool like the Sharpmaker and you DON'T sharpen your scisssors? I sharpened everything I could lay my hands on, including the vegetable peeler!
Don't forget the nail clippers. It does a great job on them, too.

How about telling us what you will use them for .Fine ones for fabrics are Gingher (germany) Clauss (USA). Then there are poultry shears ,mine are Case professional type which they no longer make.Case still makes all purpose kitchen types .Many scissors are now made in China. You can also find ceramic ones ,Kyocera, for cutting Kevlar etc $$$$.

The best scissors are those heavy old fashioned all metal ones that they used to make 60+ years ago. My grandmother has a pair, never been sharpened, but will pretty much cut almost anything. I've been keeping my eyes open for a second hand pair, but so far no luck.

Mad Hatter said:
The best scissors are those heavy old fashioned all metal ones that they used to make 60+ years ago. My grandmother has a pair, never been sharpened, but will pretty much cut almost anything. I've been keeping my eyes open for a second hand pair, but so far no luck.

Those would be Gingher and that's why I mentioned them way up there.

Edit~ Seems like my first post never made it...

Go to www.Gingher.com and take a look at those. You can also drag the GF or wife out to the local sewing store to secretly oggle the scissors.

I was just looking around their website and it looks like they have some scissors with FRN handles. They also have some industrial models that are not on their website.

N2

GarageBoy said:
LOL, I'm wayy to sleepy to notice. How do you do scissors freehand?

I have sharpened scissors freehand for years, I open them up and rest the back of a blade on a table with the handles hanging out the edge of the table, I turn the blade so that the edge is horizontal, I hold it there with my left hand and with my right I draw a hone horizontaly over the edge.

I also like Fiskars, I have seen other good scissors form Germany and Japan, Boker and Olfa among others that I don´t remember now.

Back