HEST pry-tip is GONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pry-tip on the end of my HEST is history! That point snagged on everything it could possibly find. I fired up the grinder and ground off, perhaps, an eighth of an inch then rounded it off smooth. I never could figure out exactly how it was supposed to be used for anything anyway. Any attempt to hold that knife in a prying position left the blade hanging below in an unwieldy manner. So, off it went!, MUCH BETTER USER NOW!

(Did'nt take any pics! It does'nt take much imagination to picture this knife with 1/8" less pry-tip!):D

when you need it most,just remember you let yourself down by grinding it off :D
J/K , I think your the 2nd peep that mentioned doing it... you need to post a pic.... A picture speaks volumes both negative & positive :p

well, glad to hear you like it..

although myself I find its the prybar that makes the whole knife, faster deployment, better purchase and simply a joy to have, signature hest at its finest..

I too would like to see pics.. enjoy..

Yeah I can't imagine using the pry tip for anything other than light tasks like paint lids or something. Seems hella dangerous to try and muscle something that has a blade on the other end. I just could never wrap my brain around this knife. The features actually made the knife worse, not better IMO. But like everything, somethings aren't for everyone.

I saw somewhere the other day someone had a knife with a flay chisel-style prybar on the end. I really liked that idea. The prybar on the HEST is the main reason I don't own one. Not for everyone but a very nice knife.

I have to agree with John Tyler; pics or it didn't happen.

I've had a little issue with the prybar snagging but have been able to work around that. I have used it a couple of times on lids for stuff like denatured alchohol. Not heavy prying but I wouldn't have wanted to unnecessarily jam the tip of a blade in there. And it still saved me time having to fetch something else.

God bless,
Adam

beef said:
If they made a pryless, bottle openerless hest, I'd grab it.

Not sure if I'd grab one but I would at least consider it. I know alot of people here seem to love the HEST, and to each his own. With that said, the HEST is the only knife currently offered from ESEE I wouldn't purchase. It's the one knife in the line-up that seems to stray from the no nonsense, no frills approach that I really dig about all the other offerings from ESEE. I'm not bashing on it at all, but given the design approach with the other knives, I just can't wrap my head around the HEST.

I ground nearly a quarter-inch probably off the pry-bar on mine. Haven't missed it. Never really used it. But all the same, I'm thinking of getting a second one to leave the pry-bar intact. Until such time as I had to start using the second HEST, probably. :eek::p

If you come across a situation where you need a pry bar, just use the tip of the knife. When it breaks, send it in and they will send you a new one, no questions asked.:thumbup:

I've used the prybar before when I was out in the field and had to remove a steel staple in an old wooden fence post.

I left the HEST in the sheath( less dangerous and more leverage) and the used the prybar and it lifted the staple right out.

Beats walking back a mile to the truck to get a hammer or whatever.

Yeah I can't imagine using the pry tip for anything other than light tasks like paint lids or something. Seems hella dangerous to try and muscle something that has a blade on the other end. I just could never wrap my brain around this knife. The features actually made the knife worse, not better IMO. But like everything, somethings aren't for everyone.

You see for me its the features that make the knife, I love the H.E.S.T and for awhile it was the only knife id carry (besides my beloved emerson k-bit)
THe features are to me what make the knife. I dont see how a simple bottle opener could be such a galvanizing issue. I wish more knives came with bottle openers. And as for the mini pry, obviously its not there to pry open a door or anything its just there to make life a little easier. I find it to be the perfect EDC Knife, I personally would like to see the H.E.S.T With a tanto style tip, and a hollow grind which i find a great combination for urban tasks.

Ive carried this knife all over the place concealed and never once can i remember being poked or prodding with the pry tip, and i get around.

I Have yet tot find a better EDC fixed blade than the H.E.S.T

Yeah, I've used that prybar numerous times. Can opener failed to complete the job, so the HEST pry bar saved the meal. Those pesky denatured alcohol lids are a pain. I felt perfectly safe using the HEST, with the sheath on. Safer than using the point of the blade, safer for the knife and me!
I usually put the HEST in my front pocket, the prybar hangs out. I like it like that, I can grab it fast. It has grabbed other things as well, but hey.. just watch where you put it.

How did you carry the knife? Where? Position? Did it catch on your clothes or everything around it? Sounds like from your description you didn't take off the whole pry bar, does it work better for you now?

From the product photos I like the idea but sometimes I agree with RAYBAN about the blade. For its thickness ans shortness the tip can always function to pry something and the warranty covers it, but I doubt it's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back