"Hey Dad, have you evere heard of a band called Pantera?"...

My 15 year old son comes in the living room last night, pops his ear buds out and asks me if I've ever heard of a band called Pantera. I chuckled and pulled out my phone to show him that yes, indeed, I have heard of a band called Pantera. In fact, I really like this 'new' band called Pantera.

It's so cool seeing him 'discover' music that I listen to. He still likes a lot of stuff that's current and some rap (blech!), but he also likes classic and hard rock as well. One day on our way to school last year, as soon as we pulled out of the subdivision, "Long Way to the Top' by AC/DC came on. He said he knew it was going to be a good day if this was the first song that we heard!

Any of you guys have kids who've found 'new' bands that you used to/still do listen to? It's cool, isn't it?

Sometimes we rock out, sometimes we will listen to pre '95 country(the wife on the other hand is a sucker for the new crap), Bluesville and Classic Vinyl on Sirius are always popular.
My 11 year old was pissed I didn't bring her to Guns N Roses in New Orleans last year, but she made it to The Jimmy Hendrix Experience with Billy Cox, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Zack Wylde, Johnny Lang and Buddy Guy.
She melted my heart the other day walking by singing 3 Little Birds.

Good to see young folks listening to a variety of music. It is not unheard of to listen to 60's stuff.... when I was younger, there was little chance I would have enjoyed listening to my Dad's generation of music.

The hits are hits for a reason :D they can try to push out the crap that they do today, but they can't stop the classics from capturing generations to come.

No kids here, but it's pretty rare for me to encounter anyone listening to legitimate music.

Everyone is enamored with rap and manufactured "pop" music.

Most of the acts don't even plan an instrument. Pretty sad.

Long live Rock and Metal, my kids dug into my old CD's and tapes years ago. Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Exodus, Pantera and the list goes on! Back when smoke was smoke! All this new synthetic, whining, pop, rap BS can eat a bowl of dicks!

"That new fangled music...get off my lawn!" :D Some of the new stuff is pretty good. You just gotta stay away from the top 40 stuff. That's just marketed crap.

No kids here but a younger guy was playing a bunch of songs I owned the albums for back in the day. 90's metal. I don't like rap either but that's because I don't consider it music. To me it's spoken word poetry SET to music. And I hate poetry. As far as country, well that's just terrible music.

Now to duck all the spitty cups being hurled at me. :D

Yup. When my son and I drove cross country this summer, we listened to Pandora on his phone (who knew that new cars don't have cd players?!?). He basically had two channels, one was some new music that I'd never heard. The other channel was AC\DC, so we listened to a lot of good old 70's rock and roll, which is what I grew up with.

Personally I love a lot of 80s music because that's when I grew up. But I also like a lot of modern stuff. Disturbed, Skillet, Fall Out Boy, Nickelback, Shinedown, a little AC/DC, Manowar, Rammstein, Linkin Park, Nightcore, etc. But at the same time I love Japanese music, who here doesn't love the work Akira Ifukube did for the Godzilla franchise?

I was pleasantly surprised to run across an acoustic version of Tool’s third album, in its entirety on YouTube. The one with Prison Sex, and some other great stuff. Acoustic Bob Mould a few years ago was cool too.
Thanks, Neal

My oldest son will be 25 this June and I can say with a high degree of certainty that Guitar Hero was one of the few computer games that mattered because it introduced kids like my son to my music at a time when some were looking for something other than hip-hop or shoe gazing rock. :p

I'm happy to be raising little Metal Heads.
It's not something that I've tried to pass on like hunting, camping, hiking, or Kenpo karate, they just wanted to be like Dad- how much better can life get than your kids thinking your cool.

We Also listen to Country, Classical, and stuff from the 50's forward but Metal is our core.

I've found great pleasure in hearing my boys ( 10 & 7 ) listen to my old music.
It makes me smile when they know the words to songs by bands like
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Pantera - I met Dimebag once
Suicidal Tendencies
Overkill
Megadeth
Ozzy
Some of the newer stuff by these bands and others like them have really caught their attention as well.
Parkway Drive
Atreyu
All that remains

There's still really good metal being made. It it's not like the old stuff.

I still go back to raid my father's record collection and I'm 35. ;)

It's because of him I know about Taj Mahal, Warren Zevon, Frank Zappa, Modern Jazz Quartet, Janis Joplin and many other worthies.

No kids here, but it's pretty rare for me to encounter anyone listening to legitimate music.

Everyone is enamored with rap and manufactured "pop" music.

Most of the acts don't even plan an instrument. Pretty sad.

That's probably what your parents said about the music from your time ;)

For me i'm only 22 so no kids, i listen to old and new stuff.

That's probably what your parents said about the music from your time ;)

Young whipper snappers! :)

My parents are odd, in that they don't own any music. They just have no interest in it for whatever reasons.

They must have thought I was strange, going to concerts and signing up for multiple Columbia House and BMG accounts.

My daughter and her BF are into Pink Floyd, the Dead, Dylan and about 75% of the music I listened to as a kid. She always claimed she was born 30 years too late. :D :)

A buddy and I were watching YouTube videos of Dave Grohl playing the drums at work one day. One of our Millenial co-workers walked up and said “isn’t that the Foo Fighters guy? I said yes....and his name is Dave Grohl. He looks at me and says... “he plays drums too?!?”

You little snot nosed punk - why I oughta!!!! I sincerely felt like junk punching that kid.

Back