1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 4 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade Limited Edition 319DLC-1801 Proper, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 26!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Hi all... looking for Strider info

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Flyingthrew, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Flyingthrew

Flyingthrew

Jan 12, 2019
    I just recently went through a a box from my last trip to the sand box (contractor) and of the Jarheads I worked with gave me a Strider folder with an NSN. Just looking for some information about. I'm sure someone is a Strider guru. Thanks for looking.

2. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
  3. Flyingthrew

Flyingthrew

Jan 12, 2019
    Thanks for the info. We worked around each other in the states too. He was a good dude as well. I had a running joke that, I got out of Marine Corps and then go to a combat zone as a civilian.

4. Flyingthrew

Flyingthrew

Jan 12, 2019
    Yikes, that thread doesn't speak well for the guys reputation. Thank you for the info

tatsu likes this.
  5. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's lot of stuff written about him, both pro and con, and you can find whatever you're looking for.
    If I had to examine the previous lifetime actions and ethics of every company that I do business with...well... we ALL have our things we're not too proud of...
    I prefer to look at the quality of the product, and the Customer Service provided by that company.
    Strider Customer Service is not fast, but it is completely free, and is good for the life of the knife....and NOT just the owner. I've used their service on two occasions: (1) they replaced a blade that a previous owner had broken...and #2...they replaced an older model frozen pivot for a completely new design pivot...all for zero cost.
    I've owned about twenty Striders, in four models, and they all were great knives.
    Enjoy your Strider; it will serve you very well.

SeppukuSamurai, atony and jstrange like this.
  6. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Congrats on a really nice freebie. I have never owned a strider but have always liked their designs.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  7. HappyDaddy

HappyDaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Wrong. You can search in vain for evidence of stolen valor against 99.99999% of the population and come up empty.

8. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Strider quality has been hit or miss and mostly miss in tge past. Only recently have they made some decent quality. They also suck as edc carry knives despite the fan boys. They will do as a work knife in a toolbox. And stolen Valor is 100% true. Also they are vile people on social media. They are not even good knife makers.

Most of there popularity is due to fan boys, collectors, and the army folks that fall for the stolen valor. Bless there soles.

The blades are heat treated professionally out of the factory, so that's the only good thing they have going for them. So if anything they are not completely junk.

9. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    Not disputing the thread-It is what it is.

I like the design and based on my experience with Strider "knives", you have a fine knife. I have had very few problems with the knives(old or new) over many years of use, though their fit and finish were a bit weak at one time. Customer service is different-terrible communication, but good service. They will repair the knife for any reason for life. So use the knife hard. If you don't like Mick use it even harder and get it fixed on his dime :).

PNWhovian likes this.
  10. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I have always liked Strider designs, and for the most part, his knives seem to hold up well and have a strong following. Someone must really think a lot of you, most Striders sell for several hundred dollars.

11. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Mo2, Airborne 1 and Danke42 like this.
  12. HappyDaddy

Dec 21, 2013
    ^^^This. And that is what distinguishes Mickey Burger (Strider) from people who have "made mistakes..." He built his entire enterprise on a lie (more accurately, a series of lies).

13. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    And not just any lie. One of the very worst kinds of lie.

14. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    The irony in all of this is a familiar function of Burger’s archetype. Let’s pretend he sold himself from the very beginning in an entirely different way:

Mick Stryder’s story is one of sin and redemption, of failure and triumph. Stryder struck out of the Rangers, never reaching his childhood dream. After that, his life spiralled out of control. Discharged from the military, Stryder sunk to his lowest ebb, associating with criminals, and ultimately being convicted and sentenced to penal servitude for a serious felony.

It was during his time in prison that Stryder realised he had to turn his life around. He began to plan a better future, making top quality, rugged knives that would serve his former comrades, the men and women who had reached that pinnacle of excellence. And thus was born Stryder Knives.

But, as is often the case, the very things that could make Burger’s story compelling, sympathetic even, are deliberately obfuscated, probably due to feelings of shame and denial. It’s a classic syndrome.

15. HappyDaddy

Dec 21, 2013
    You may well be right, and +1 for using "archetype!"

Pilsner likes this.
  16. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Very good point, one I hadn't thought of. Honesty is a better policy. However, I doubt all the Billy bad ass wannabe meat heads would buy based on the truth. High speed low drag operator sells better to a certain crowd, even if it can be proven 100% to be a lie.

jackknife and Pilsner like this.
  17. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    No kidding, if you someone said they had issues with every company they deal with I'd suggest they find some new companies to deal with.

Not chime in with "oh well I'm sure we've all stolen valour before".

Airborne 1 and craytab like this.
  18. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I haven't. Not even once.

19. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I'm sure we've all clubbed seals, done some whaling, etc.

Sosa and Pilsner like this.