HI Scramsax/Seax/Saex Design Thread

Put me down for blade 1, with handle shape C. It has a more ergonomic, curved handle, with a nice (if only vaguely) bowie-like blade.

Regarding the Cho, I think it would be nice to have it there, as the AK Bowie has one, and it makes it unique... Wood or horn makes no difference to me.....

Maybe if the blade was dropped a little, in relation to the handle, with a total length of 15 - 18", false-edged, that would be the best!!! :D:D:D

I have laid Sarge's drawing overtop of 2B:

Sarge model - Green
2B - Red

scramsax4.gif

I was a bit amused at first, because I actually used Sarge's handle to create "B"...:rolleyes: :p And y'all were telling me "We want Sarge, we want Sarge..." :D

Anyway, I'm here to give you what you guys want - I'm not on my own agenda - don't get me wrong, ok? That is why this is open to discussion. I hope I'm not rubbing anybody the wrong way on this...

Cho:

I was ready to take it out until Hibuke made his comment. That is akin to why I included it in the first place. If we just wanted a scramsax we would buy one somewhere else online, right? Instead, what we want is a Himalayan Imports version of the scramsax. A few things are already a given:

1 - the blade's gonna be thick :eek:
2 - it will have a maker's mark on it
3 - the handle will mostly likely get made of horn

These things alone will separate it from the rest. To me, it's a mark of pride, a "This is where I came from" distinguishing element.

I think we need to leave this open to vote but to only those who will be actually purchasing one. So, please cast your vote on the cho - should it stay or should it go...:p

To be honest, I actually thought y'all would like 2B the most... :confused:

Consider me "shrugged"...:D

Re Cho:

Shhhh, I've got two JKM-1s and three Kumar Kardas, that might hear y'all talking about chos and start thinking they weren't made by a kami in Bir Ghorka because they ain't got a cho on 'em.:rolleyes: :p :D

Sarge

Here it is (in a cho-less version) on top of a 12" AK.

scramsax5.gif

For me, a handle (including bolster) less than 4.5" is uncomfortable, so each of these designs is around 4.75"

Here's a grid layout (in cho-less glory...)

scramsax6.gif

The blade is only 7.25" long. Still a beast at 12" OAL and not carry-able (even in TX :eek: ).

Does anyone want a longer blade? (or even the more sword-like version?)

Longer works for me, although a 12-12.5" OAL is enough to distinguish this blade from the Kumar Karda.

I'd been thinking about asking Bill if the kamis could make a "super karda" (longer, maybe a little thinner) for some time. The HI Seax just might fill that niche.

S.

Dan, opinions are like you know whats, and mine smells as bad as anybody's. You're right on the money that the kamis will no doubt add their own spin to the interpretation. I was just making a point that they don't seem to have a problem foregoing chos on non-khukuris.

Speaking of opinions, I still think that pommel flare is too "horny". :rolleyes: Maybe I just need some sleep. :yawn: :(

Sarge

How thick is the spine going to be?

The Kumar Karda and JKM don't have chos. However, I like the idea of having one as a reference in case one's hand slides forward.

How many dollahz?

For practical use purposes, I like 1A, with a wood handle. Looks like the only one you could possibly throw accurately, in an emergency (or for fun).

For looks, I would vote for 2B, in horn.

Somehow, the tips on the 2 and 3 blade versions worry me. I've broken enough similar tips in my life.

Keep the cho's.

Joe

From a practicality standpoint I like 1C; having said that, I prefer Sarge's design for two reasons:

1. I like the traditional styling and

2. I already have other knives that would fill the same niche as 1C.

Of course once we throw in the kami factor and see what comes out, we may end up with something altogether unprecedented anyway. :D

Edit: The pommel flare on 2B is OK by me if it's less pronounced and rounded off like on the Pen knife. A tradtitional khukuri-style flare on this design would seem a bit to "horny" for me also.

Bottom line gang, if I wanted a straightened out khukuri, complete with cho, I'd order an AK bowie. I've got the know how and materials to make a traditional scramaseax, so I'll just do that and hush up about this one.

Sarge

edited to add: still, whoever mentioned asking for a 14-15" Kumar Karda on the forum a while back still has me thinking about that possibility, it would no doubt be sweet:D

1A = 2
1B = 5
1C = 1
2A = 0
2B = 2
2C = 0
3A = 1
3B = 1
3C = 4

looks like "1B" is just over "3C"

I'll come up with a couple more...

I like 1B then 2B. I also think the size should be kept down to make it comfortable to carry under a coat or in a coat (self defence).
Nice and thick blade and make sure the tip will take some abuse!:)

"4D" is an improved version of "1B" based on the comments received. Less "horny" and an inch longer. I took the fuller off just to concentrate on the outline. Whatever gets decided on will get a fuller.

"5C" is really just for Bobwhite...:D

scramsax8.jpg

Now on a 1" x 1" grid for comparative purposes:
scramsax7.gif

YESSSSSSS!!!!! That is it Dan. It may not be a real seax or scramasax, but that is what I want. A dream come true.

Kis - yes. Opinions only...:rolleyes:

The order thread will come later.

I spoke with DaveK last night on the phone and he has agreed to do a wood model once we're done tweakin' the design. :eek: :D

Back