HI Survival Knife

Great review and knice knife.I hope there is a revival of
this knife.How much did this one cost?

Here are a few DOTD threads showing some historical pricing. It looks a bit variable.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775958&highlight=survival

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769860&highlight=survival

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767489&highlight=survival

It looks like they're having a tough time in Nepal so it's uncertain when more of these will show up or the pricing when they do.

It looks like they're having a tough time in Nepal so it's uncertain when more of these will show up or the pricing when they do.

Well, I hope circumstances improve. Not for my sake, but for theirs. Maybe something more can be done to help.

Not sure how long I can hold my breath, but we're going to find out. My girlfriend says I'm starting to look blue :(

You could always send Yangdu an email and champion a "run" similarly to what was done with the farmcata recently.
That way you can breath and get others interested as well.
Unless of course you like being blue.

Yikes, anywhere from $65 to $125? That's quite a spread. Depending on the exact specs at the time and the price, I'd be happy to buy perhaps three or four as gifts. :)

I really do believe that these are going to remain a niche item unless just a TON of folks jump in on a run of them. The problem is that they were based on a single piece constructed knife like the bushman. That is where the similarities end. Once you get past the similar look you will find them to be made of better steel, sharper, thicker, and not "springy".

They have a real "thunk" to them when you use them. What I like about mine is that I can use it to slice off fat, then dice veggies with it before I finally draw cut all meat up. It's a very nice well balanced piece of steel.

On top of that, I like the overall usefulness so much that I'm currently designing a boot sheath for it as well as a sheath for something I'm working on I call the Bootkri...but that's a different thing all together:p

I guess if you guys really want to see more of these pop up besides the ones we'll get from time to time, email Yangdu and see what she says:) She knows more about the product than anyone, obviously.

I'll have to send her an e-mail. I love my puukko, carry it every day, so the idea of a Bushman with a puukko style blade? Amazing. :)

I know that things are hard in Nepal right now and the orders are backed up. But if the HI survival knife hits the site again in the area of $70 or so, I would be interested.

Anyone else interested? Maybe if some people speak up they might craft some more of them in the coming months.

just ordered an HI survival knife from Yangdu.

I think the Cold Steel pattern of this knife is literally the PERFECT all-around knife and thats coming from a guy that owns thousands of dollars of top quality knives and many custom pieces. I find that the simple knives like mora or the Cold Steel bushman, which the HI survival is based on get the job done and then some.

here's a review i wrote about the CS bushman below, and I can only imagine that a more stouter hand-forged kami-blessed version would be that much better:

Best all-around knife for the money, October 21, 2010
By Brace Negron "Brazilla"

This review is from: Cold Steel Bushman Black SK-5 Steel Cordura Survival Sheath (Sports)

Title says it all: this is the best all-around knife I've ever seen. I have 400 dollar custom knives, hand forged, etc so I speak from experience of using high performance knives. This is all the knife you'll ever need for 90% of your outdoor applications and it even fulfills some unusual ones too.

This knife was made to use and the balance of price, materials, durability, size shape etc make it an everything knife; it's even a very sweet thrower. It comes out of the box with an excellent edge that, if you are so inclined, can make razor sharp. I tend to keep field knives just under razor sharp as I don't want to roll the edge under heavy use. Bought two of these knives and have beat the hell out of them, from heavy amounts of throwing with occasionally missing and hitting cinder blocks, to chopping, whittling this knife keeps bouncing back. The steel is extremely tough and the temper making it springy so the knife doesn't break; at worst the edge will roll and even when the edge around the tip suffered serious damage getting slammed into a cinder block numerous times, it took ten minutes with a bastard file to re-shape and then re-sharpen it. 5 min more with my ceramic stone and it was razor sharp again. The fact that it is a one piece knife (thus very strong AND chef grade), can be mounted on a spear pole, has excellent belly, good weight for chopping, can store goodies in the handle as well as in the sheath, can take 100s of throws and is razor sharp, makes this knife the last word as a survival knife.

For those with such an inclination: it stabs well too. I tested it against wood and my hand didnt slip onto the blade, but you DO have to really grip it. One hint if u might have to stab with it: get some thick leather cord or paracord, thread it thru the hole and make a very short layard, just wide enough for your pinky and ring finger to slip thru and i guarantee u won't slip on the blade after a heavy thrust into a tough object. It isn't a combat knife so if that is what you are looking for head to Ka-bar land and find a knife there.

BTW: usue ballistol. Seems to lock in well with the finish on this knife and ballistol goes with the "do everything" attitude this knife has. Look ballistol up if you don't know what I am talking about: the stuff literally has dozens of uses as well as being an excellent oil for knives.

The sheath is good. Nice little pocket for mini flint and steel, a small Swiss army knife, mini flashlight, a mini lighter and small sharpening stone. I would say if Cold Steel came up with a bomb-proof rock-solid leather sheath WITH a small pouch like the nylon version of the sheath, this would be the perfect knife/sheath combo.

Get this knife: best deal in the knife world. trust me. The only other knives that rival it in price and quality for what you are paying are the Mora knives and that is saying something for those in the know.

..here's a review i wrote about the CS bushman below, ...

I hope you'll let us know what you think of the HI knife. It's really a different knife from the CS bushman, from which it drew some inspiration. We will be interested in reading what you think of the HI product.

Congratulations to you TMIB. Hope you enjoy your new addition.

Thanks.

And assuming it was shipped monday, do you think I will get it here in PA wednesday? That will be 3 days. The last one I bought took 4, but sunday fell in the middle (I assume they don;t move the mail on sundays). The waiting is the hardest part.

i got mine today. All I can say is that I am FLOORED. The quality of this piece is magnificent. The blade is gorgeous and the handle expertly made. I can't believe it was hand made though it obviously is, I can only guess they beat the tube around some kind of rod. It's edge is razor sharp and the point, needle sharp. I am truly blown away guys. Get this piece. Will give you a report when I go use it later this month. The sheath was way better than I thought it would be. Maybe I got an extra good rendition of this knife but I am totally in love. Check it out on 6/3 DotD. This might be THE ONE, gentlmen, the holy grail. This knife hanging on the right side of my belt coupled with my 21 inch chit by tirtha on my baldric on my left and there is nothing I wouldn't be able to handle that could be handled with a sharp implement.

i got mine today. All I can say is that I am FLOORED. The quality of this piece is magnificent. The blade is gorgeous and the handle expertly made. I can't believe it was hand made though it obviously is, I can only guess they beat the tube around some kind of rod. It's edge is razor sharp and the point, needle sharp. I am truly blown away guys. Get this piece. Will give you a report when I go use it later this month. The sheath was way better than I thought it would be. Maybe I got an extra good rendition of this knife but I am totally in love. Check it out on 6/3 DotD. This might be THE ONE, gentlmen, the holy grail. This knife hanging on the right side of my belt coupled with my 21 inch chit by tirtha on my baldric on my left and there is nothing I wouldn't be able to handle that could be handled with a sharp implement.

They are sweet aren't they:) I use mine as my go-to kitchen knife, and I plan on packing it with me to a trip to the mountains this summer. Awesome blade.

Back