High end knives

If you want a hinderer get a hinderer. Imo they are worth it. I have a Gen 6 xm-18 3.5 slicer, and an xm-24 tri way, both are amazing. Only thing I had to do was reprofile the xm-18, it's bevel was a bit obtuse from factory. Still sharp, but not where I wanted it.

If you don't like it, you can always sell it for close to what you paid. But to me they are worth the cost.

I love how these threads always end up with “this is what I WOULD buy with YOUR $600” vs. helping the OP find what his style might be before he drops $600 on a knife. LOL.

If you want a hinderer get a hinderer. Imo they are worth it. I have a Gen 6 xm-18 3.5 slicer, and an xm-24 tri way, both are amazing. Only thing I had to do was reprofile the xm-18, it's bevel was a bit obtuse from factory. Still sharp, but not where I wanted it.

If you don't like it, you can always sell it for close to what you paid. But to me they are worth the cost.
To the OP: Hinderers are thick behind the edge. I've heard them making a "slicer" grind, that may help with that issue but take care if you want knife that is designed to cut.

To the OP: Hinderers are thick behind the edge. I've heard them making a "slicer" grind, that may help with that issue but take care if you want knife that is designed to cut.

The slicer grind is thinner bte than the zt 0562 which has a thinner stock. Difference is the blade height is shorter, making it more wedgey. The skinny slicer would be thinner overall, and something like a skinner or sheepsfoot grind would be better yet. My xm-24 swedged spear is better than my xm-18 slicer.

However after reprofiling my xm-18 to 17 dps it cuts everything just fine, including cardboard. Sure a thinner knife will cut a little better but it's not that big a difference to me.

I carry a DLT fullered spearpoint XM-18 most days I’ve been carrying the XM-18 in general for almost 3 years. Highly recommend the DLT versions for the looks and thinner grinds

I like CRK's a lot and I like flippers a lot.
You do NOT need too spend 600 to get a darned good knife.
The CRK's are 400; my Three Rivers Manufacturing Atom is $200 (catch one while in stock periodically). Tje spine is 0.090" and it cuts laser-like...great for casual carry...
ONe of my favorite flippers is the MassDrop Laconico Keen Spear-Point. The blade is around 0.145" thick or so, but the edge is the big winner.... Available from Individual sales for about $175 as new.
At one mm above the edge, the thickness is only 0.010"... Believe me, you don't want to run your thumb along the edge of this blade, unless you want to see micro-slices of your skin. Been there...
You gotta go a long ways to beat a Ray Laconico blade...
You can use the Laconico for light casual slicing or heavy work... a great bargain...

They are reasonably available..

Not exactly aure what you mean by “style” of athe XMs, if you are talking about flippers you can potentially find a Shiro neon, hation for sub $600, you can find a PJ Koenig Mini Goblin and potentially even an user Arius. It’s unlikely you are gonna find a brown for sub $600 but both the lhc-x and cortex are awesome flippers!

Shiro Neon and Hation are easily found in your target price range and I highly recommend them! If you want something made in the US get a Koenig, probably the best production flipper made in the US

As someone who has collected "high end" custom knives, I'd encourage you to start with Chris Reeve, or Olamic, as others have suggested.

The reason is this...I recommend going gently into that good night.....with CRK or Olamic, you have warranties and you can flip them easily on the forums if you don't like them. Harder to do with customs. Also, CRK and Olamic have performed better than some of my customs costing over $1000

again...go gently so as not to lose a fortune and go with a brand that has support...like CRK and Olamic. I'll add Shirigorov, Andre Thorburn too (from their respective AD's).

I strongly concur with the above. Going with well-known brands that have established their reputation for quality will give you a great baseline to work from. You can't go wrong with the brands people have mentioned here (CRK, Olamic, Shirogorov, etc.). An expensive custom knife is not guaranteed to be a great knife.

Love my XM's. Yeah, they are a little thick behind the edge. I don't care. There are a lot of other good recommendations here too. Good luck with your descision!

Back