high grit sandpaper options

So I've recently gotten back into hand sanding and I'm taking my blades up to a higher grit for hamons than I used to. Previously I did 1200 grit paper then etched/ polished with 1500 grit SC powder. However, I was still able to clearly see sanding lines ( I could get almost a mirror via light etches and the SC polish but the 1200 grit lines were so apparent). So I have been trying going more towards 2-2.5k before etching. However, I can't seem to get the rhynowet paper to cut past 1200 grit, I used it dry, wd40, w/ water, Nothing seemed to really work. Like my clean 1200 scratch pattern was parallel to the blade and I couldn't get those scratches out by going diagonal with 1500 or 2000 grit paper, I used 2 8x11 sheets each on a 7" blade. So, do I need some diamond film paper? also just to note here I have also been trying some 2500 grit diamond powder instead of SC, dont waste the money it doesn't work well, leaves very deep scratches ( I got cheap powder off eBay so maybe it's not a true 2500 grit) idk.

For example, you can see the lines here
AfiaqPZ.jpg

I'll be curious to see what others have to say, but I've noticed over the years that when I get up to 2000-5000grit paper, I have to be quite careful with how much water I use, too much and the paper just seems to 'float'. As Ludwig Mies van der Rohe used to say, "Less is more." (who said my architecture schooling was a waste... :rolleyes:)

The answer is , yes, you do
It’s much less frustrating when you use diamond film.

I don't hand sand a lot so I am no expert, but isn't buffing an option for this? There are great compounds that will let you use the buffer after 4-600 grit sand paper and take it all the way to mirror.

I don't hand sand a lot so I am no expert, but isn't buffing an option for this? There are great compounds that will let you use the buffer after 4-600 grit sand paper and take it all the way to mirror.
possibly, I'm not sure. I tried using some black compound and that didn't help but I may not have the proper equipment.

I would like to hear more about that compounds ? Did you try them on steel with high volume of carbide ?

I would like to hear more about that compounds ? Did you try them on steel with high volume of carbide ?

The only steel I have played around with is RWL-34 @ 63 hrc. It was easy. I only use the german Menzerna compounds, they have clear steps in their program to take you all the way to mirror.

qFqM9nb.jpg

On my micarta and G10 handles I use their GW16 👌 it is enough to sand to 1500 grit first.
hchDuVt.jpg

I might have missed something in the thread, but have you tried using Silicone Carbide sandpaper? Auto shops usually carry SiC paper up to about 2500 grit (maybe even higher).

I know time cost money but at $12 for a 3"*8" sheet is this stuff really that good/economical? I know you've recommended it on a few posts now.
I started using the psa diamond lapping film and the amount of time it saves is silly. I went from a 240 grit finish to 50,000 in 2 hours on a Magnacut folder blade. Even after I bought some I delayed using it, it was a joke how much faster it went especially on more abrasive resistant steels. For me, the time it saves is absolutely worth the cost. I used less than half a sheet of each grit on the folder I finished. I just build the cost into the finished product.

I know time cost money but at $12 for a 3"*8" sheet is this stuff really that good/economical? I know you've recommended it on a few posts now.
It’s exactly like D Daniel Carraher says...

You will use little strips of the diamond film.
I just bought 6 large sheets from bader.

Yes it’s that good. It’s turns a frustrating time costing sanding experience into one that’s reasonable. For a wear resistant steel like zwear class steels it’s a must

Frankly you don’t know hand sanding until you have done a wear resistant steel.
High carbon steels are easy compared to a wear resistant steel

Yw7bRqc.jpg

Holy Smokes! That's beautiful. Was that the diamond lapping film you mentioned? Where does this stuff come from and how do you prep the surface before you use it? That is amazing.
I bought it from Amazon. Made by 3M. Will shop around for bigger sheets next time I order. I cut it into smaller strips. Works just like sandpaper. Just faster

Holy Smokes! That's beautiful. Was that the diamond lapping film you mentioned? Where does this stuff come from and how do you prep the surface before you use it? That is amazing.
It’s 3m microfinishing film, not their lapping film.

Back