Hiking Boot Recommendations

Haven’t gone yet. We’ve been pretty busy, so we just haven’t had time to actually go try on boots to find what we like. I’m just going to wear my pair of Whites M&P boots. Don’t know what she is going to wear yet.

Hoka One One makes super light, comfortable boots that require no break in. I hike every day in them. Check out the hiking boot and hiking shoe comparisons and rankings in outdoorgearlab.com
+1 on Hoka One One.

These were recommended to me by a podiatrist when I came in with a bruised heel from too much hiking/standing around at work.

I have two pair - trainers and boots. If you need/like a good amount of cusion they’re great.

I just happened to see this thread now. If you are still looking I found Crispi boots have really served me well. Meindl , Kennetek, Lowa have been good boots for me in the past also, but the Crispi fit me best and have held up great for me. There just is no substitute for a good fitting, warm, comfortable boot. The Meindl and Crispi seem to run a bit wider in the toe box if that matters to you

I've had the best experience with Vasque. I like a hiking boot that offers some protection and a good bit of support. I understand that many people prefer to go lightweight, I've even encountered people in sandals on some very difficult trails, but for me a traditional style hiking boot seems to work best.

Somebody about a year ago mentioned Haix (German brand made in eastern Europe) on this forum. Being a serious boot freak I tried a pair. Really glad I did. They have almost everyday woods and trail use. Very comfortable, reasonably waterproof and are wearing fine.

Somebody about a year ago mentioned Haix (German brand made in eastern Europe) on this forum. Being a serious boot freak I tried a pair. Really glad I did. They have almost everyday woods and trail use. Very comfortable, reasonably waterproof and are wearing fine.

After reading your post, I was checking them out. Which model do you have?

Asolo, vasque, Danner.

Go someplace where you can try them on, don't buy them online and think okay this is what I wear cuz between the three our different sizes in each one. Plus we get REI and yet buy them you can bring them back got like 6 months. Have fun

I wear Danners, Asolo, and Vasque hiking boots. I like my Asolo boots the best though.

As I already posted, my best experience has been with Vasque, but I've never owned Danners and I have only had two pairs of Asolos. I don't think the Asolos weren't great boots, they just didn't work out for me.

I do a lot of hiking in the north-western mountains, mostly for hunting and scouting purposes. Deer, elk and bear mostly and I’m out pretty much all four seasons. All of my hikes include a pack of some sorts and, when I’m lucky a heavy pack out. I can say without a doubt my favorite 3 season boot are Salewas (MTN trainer GTX MID). I have had them for years (4 or 5) with no real sign deterioration, the goretex has held up and they are pretty darn light. I say 3 season boot because up here is gets very cold and these aren’t insulated for it. I lived in TN and hiked the Smokies many times, including several overnighters in Jan-Feb. these boots are more than adequate. My next boots for spring bear or late season elk will probably be Kenetreks or Crispis

Let me jump in with the voice of an overweight mid 50's guy with a wide foot, high arches, high instep, and has spent some time on WNC trails and MUCH time on pavement (former senior firearms instructor for mid-sized agency). Some boots I can't even get my feet in if the tongue is sewn too far up the boot or too tightly at the instep-and I mean some that are HUGELY favored...

So far Merrells (discontinued GeoMorph Blaze, but close to cousin to a Moab) are the most comfortable I've ever hiked in. Once a fellow firearms instructor (hearing me rave on and on about how comfortable they were) once said "Okay we get it! You're saying they are like walking on two clouds of (*insert slang word for female genitalia*)!!! Right behind this for me is the Danner 600 (as someone mentioned early in the thread.) I have three pair-one relegated to mowing grass but one for hiking and one for casual wear. Danner hit a homerun with these.

I just bought a pair of Zamberlains-and I *think* I'm going to like them, but they are heavier than I prefer and stiff. I will wear them casually (to work and out to town) for at least a year before even considering them for hiking.

Also, I run a similar insole in everything-I like Superfeet Green and SOLE, but the Copper Fit ($9 at CVS!) seem to do as good as they do for 1/3 to 1/4 of the price.

It depends case by case ofc, but for me I always found Danners and Garmont Tacticals to work best. Great boots overall, especially for their price range, the only thing you gotta make sure is to renew waterproof time to time. I think my pair of Garmonts going to be 3 or 4 years old and still kicking. The only thing I want to add is to have a spare rubberized boot in your backpack depending on where you are going: from personal experience - you won't need 'em that often, but you rather have those when you REALLY need it. My choice for those are Muck boots (not too cheap, not too expensive, decent quality overall if you gotta use 'em for 3-4 hours - after that I would usually need to dry my feet anyway from all the sweat).

Back