Hiking Special Katunje

Aahhhhhhhhh...that wonderful old scent of a completely nonsensical thread veer returns to the Cantina. Scent memory stirs nostalgia and wakens old memories of cherished companions at H.I.

:rolleyes::):thumbsup::D

(I'm an enabler.)

Hey an Aardvark was terribly demoralized here, carelessly judged as an inferior ant eater. Hardly nonsensical. I find myself curled up on the kitchen floor in a fatal position sucking my thumb over the entire matter. Perhaps I now too am demoralized. Maybe a new knife will uplift me although I doubt it would help me back into the chair, no easy task in itself even for an Aardvark.

Your own noble words did much to alleviate the potential insult, which was patently due to lack of knowledge. You cannot be blamed.

Kis, on the other had, in one of the more ancient threads that veered, was actively seeking aardvark recipes.

I have forgiven him.

Not being a cannibal, I can only surmise, but in Afrikaans, the word means "earth pig", so one would assume...

Of course, putting the sauce on it, as well as the preparation method, would certainly dictate the flavor.

Hmmm, wonder how it would taste sous vide.

There are no giraffes nor aardvark nor dragons in the Sierras.

Obviously, it is a bear! Doing what bears do in the woods!

Aardvarks are a terror to their adversaries?
So the ants are ascared of them?

Woohoo, so scary! Never heard of a "man eating aardvark"?

By the way, "aardvark" is the Latin for "anteater".

Not being a cannibal, I can only surmise, but in Afrikaans, the word means "earth pig", so one would assume...

Of course, putting the sauce on it, as well as the preparation method, would certainly dictate the flavor.

Hmmm, wonder how it would taste sous vide.

Some skeptics fear getting botulism from sous vide foods because the bacteria that causes the disease, C. botulinum, grows in low oxygen conditions. To prevent it, and other bacteria growth—avoid cooking or storing your food in the danger temperature zone—between 40°F and 140°F—for more than two hours.Feb 14, 2018

And, for a little melancholy about life alone in the wilderness:
a nocturnal burrowing mammal with long ears, a tubular snout, and a long extensible tongue, feeding on ants and termites. Aardvarks are native to Africa and have no close relatives.

Sad.

Woohoo, so scary! Never heard of a "man eating aardvark '

Well, Shane, it saddens me to report that man-eating aardvarks DO exist, but they are vewy vewy discreet and rely on solitary victims in isolated circumstances, AND consume all vestiges of the prey and it's attire/equipment. They leave behind a memory-erasing nano-bacteria which confuses and selectively obscures CSI investigations. No evidence, no signs of conflict, no witnesses---hence a lot of "never heard of man-eating aardvarks."

The lack of evidence is proof of the existence of the predator.
Res ipsa loquitur AND Verbum satis sapienti

and Mirabile Dictu!!!

As can be seen from Herr Enabler's post, our propaganda machine is working overtime, and producing amazing results. For the time being, please give maximum credence to his interpretation.

The idea of consuming a hairless (relatively) primate is abhorrent, and fortunately currently impossible, due to snout configuration.
I would add, however, that certain aardvark nerds (you know, like Arthur) have quietly gathered in the DRC, and are even now perfecting a large, foot-powered food processor, complete with a cloaking device, which should make you worry. A lot.

And, not having any close relatives has its advantages, especially during the holidays.

Ah, yes, the old aardvark = anteater fallacy. Promulgated by Ovid in his "Metamorphoses". He later walked that one back, but the manuscript was destroyed. Those familiar with Eco's "The Name of the Rose" know the fate of THAT book.

Ants are, BTW, most definitely not adversaries: they are lunch. Adversaries are creatures like snow leopards, Komodo dragons, purple mambas, Pampas cats, gila monsters, and tapirs. Aardvarks look askance at narwahls and coelacanths, but tend to leave them alone. Every verifiably documented account of aardvark encounters with any of the above creatures has shown the adversary either demised or mortally wounded.

Every verifiably documented account

and that's the key...verified accounts, of which there are none. When they eradicate all vestiges of evidence, then the self-described "likeness" to predator felines, reptiles, reptiles, felines, reptiles and porcine (think I got them all...) is at best conjectural and more probably initiated by the delirium prompted by the pyrazine in the consumed formicidae. Aardvarks are notoriously self-delusional.

As for Ovid, well here:
Beginning with the creation of the world, and ending with Rome in his own lifetime, the Metamorphoses drags the reader through time and space, from beginnings to endings, from life to death, from moments of delicious joy to episodes of depravity and abjection. Such is life, Ovid would say.

Guy obviously had issues.

"Notorious" implies widely accepted common knowledge (that may be redundant), which would inevitably lead to newspaper accounts, and internet posts. Please produce same.

There is no need to revile Ovid. He had enough troubles with the lead contents of the drinking vessels. And somewhere between "beginnings to endings" was the contention that aardvarks and anteaters (gag) were the same beast. He rued that statement to his dying day (Thursday).

Given that there have been gentle mentions (accusations?) of thread veer, I will draw your attention to Thorne Smith's "Rain in the Doorway". "Veer" is mentioned 41 times. A record, I believe. Mr. Smith is also the creator of Topper (yes, the one from the 1937 Cary Grant/Constance Bennet movie, as well as the TV series with Leo G. Carroll, of "Man From U.N.C.L.E." fame). Most of his works are romantic comedies, often with supernatural overtones. Fun stuff, with LOTS of free-flowing booze.

Cerebus the aardvark first issue.jpg

Uh...not to deviate from the thematic integrity, but do you have a er...unique...relative?
Or perhaps, a unique past?

The series apparently was a big deal, although the little I read of a website indicated the creator started after becoming introduced to LSD. Not my kind.

But, for your information, I post this.

(Edit note: correct usage of "a" vs "an" with "unique" bugged me for a bit, but with research, I found:
https://www.google.com/search?chann...=is+correct+usage+"+an+unique"+or+"a+unique"?
All is well.)

Last edited:
"...deviate from the thematic integrity...": YOU FOUND SOME?? I can only cry "Gunga Din"!

Ah, yes, Uncle C. He was the quiet one, which cause merciless teasing. That may explain some things. You hardly ever saw Uncle C down here, he only came to town about twice a year. He'd buy a hundred pounds of grease and some silver twine; everybody knows that he works for Smith-Kline. Abject apologies to Steve Earle.

It's been a while since we've seen him. Rumor has it that's with the boys in the DRC. If so, he's probably handling security, so it would behoove you all NOT to look for him.

Long may he run.

Looked, but couldn't find, analogous lyrics by Steve Earle.

Ovid died on a Thursday? I'd always thought he was stricken earlier in the week.

He was banished from Rome, you know.
The reasons for his banishment are uncertain. ... Ovid wrote that the cause of his exile was carmen et error: "a poem and an error", probably the Ars Amatoria and a personal indiscretion or mistake. The council of the city of Rome revoked his exile in December 2017, so he would be able to freely return.
At last report, 11-1-2020, he has still chosen not to return. (Kind of a sorehead.)

Here's a link on Ars Amatoria. Ovid giving advice on how to meet and keep a woman; the third portion is advice to women. This was in 2 AD, so one may presume he was a early contributor to issues which we not yet solved acceptably.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_Amatoria

Last edited:
Copperhead Road
Steve Earle

Well my name's John Lee Pettimore
Same as my daddy and his daddy before
You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
He only come to town about twice a year
He'd buy a hundred pounds of yeast and some copper line
Everybody knew that he made moonshine

Now the revenue man wanted Grandaddy bad
Headed up the holler with everything he had
'Fore my time but I've been told
He never come back from Copperhead Road

Now Daddy ran whiskey in a big block Dodge
Bought it at an auction at the Mason's Lodge
Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side
Just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside
Well him and my uncle tore that engine down
I still remember that rumblin' sound
When the Sheriff came around in the middle of the night
Heard mama cryin', knew something wasn't right
He was headed down to Knoxville with the weekly load
You could smell the whiskey burnin' down Copperhead Road

I volunteered for the Army on my birthday
They draft the white trash first, 'round here anyway
I done two tours of duty in Vietnam
I came home with a brand new plan
I take the seed from Columbia and Mexico
I just plant it up the holler down Copperhead Road
And now the D.E.A.'s got a chopper in the air
I wake up screaming like I'm back over there
I learned a thing or two from Charlie don't you know
You'd better stay away from Copperhead Road

Aardvark?
you were a hippie, weren't you? One of them. Yup Yup Yup. Hanging out with them hippie chicks, laughing and dancing all the time, being lascivious, subjecting your body to poor nutrition and inadequate rest, ignoring the admonishments of the older, wiser, more staid members of your society. Well, fine. See what it got you? Steeling lyrics from a favored singer. Shame. Just....shame.

I not only "steeled" them, I polished them with a ceramic rod, then with a jasper Viking stone. So there!

(Thanks SO much for that typo.)

Back