HIKV Strikes and Auntie suggestions Help

Ok so here is the Prognosis HIKV solution add another Khukri.

My Gopte is great now I need another complimentary one, Auntie says No 1 everyday for what I asked her is 16.5 Chiurwa Ak and 2nd is M43.

What are your thoughts between the 2. I own 62 acres and use all my tools as tools not abusive but used.

The gopte is in possesion and I want something with a little more length and grace to compliment it.

Thoughts

Thanks in advance

The M43 will probably be better looking, but the CAK will probably be tougher. Depends on what's more important to you, I guess.

Between the 2 I really like the m43s look seems a little more graceful Does anyone have both as a head to head? Its a hard decision. I use axes for the real heavy stuff I want to use this as an around property multi tool. Without being able to hold em that's the hard part.

I have both, a 17" CAK, and 18" M43. Graceful is definately the M43, but for pure toughness, the CAK.

It sounds to me, you'll probably be just a bit happier with the M43, but HIKV will force you to get the CAK at a later date...lol

Thats kinda what im thinking you end up with them all. Lol. How would you rate toughness on the 43 as an all around i know the cak is the beast is the 43 a close second ? Thanks for the reply

Thats kinda what im thinking you end up with them all. Lol. How would you rate toughness on the 43 as an all around i know the cak is the beast is the 43 a close second ? Thanks for the reply

Well...I forgot who, but there is a forumite who lived off the grid for a year or two, and built a cabin with an 18" M43, so that is a testament to its "toughness".

Truthfully, I would trust any HI blade that is guaranteed for "field work" to be super tough, and survive anything you can throw at it.

I backpack and my goto blades are my light BAS 15" 17.5oz, or my WWII 18" 22 oz. I have worked them "hard", and they still look brand new, except for some marks on the blade.

Either model should hold up just fine for your work, especially since you use axes for "the really heavy stuff."

I'd say the CAK (or AK, which differs only in the handle type) is more of a dedicated heavy chopper, while the M43 (a beefed up version of a World War II model) is a little more versatile, since the design is based on a knife that was part tool and part weapon.

Since you are going to use the blade a lot, weight is an important consideration. On average, I think that a 16.5" CAK will probably weigh about the same as an 18" M43. That's just an average, since there's a lot of variation in these hand-forged blades, even for a given model and length. Based on that, I'd recommend the M43, but you have to ask about the weight before ordering a particular blade.

I'm assuming that on 62 acres there will be a variety of tree limbs, saplings and tough shrubs that need attention. The M43 will be a little easier to use on the smaller stuff, and can also handle tougher jobs. I agree with Cul that the M43 is more graceful, but that's very much a matter of personal taste.

By the way, if you're in a cold climate the AK model doesn't have the CAK's exposed tang edges to freeze your hands (unless you always use gloves), and you really don't have to worry about the AK handle failing. The tang goes all the way through and is peened over at the end with a keeper, in addition to the laha epoxy that is used.

That new gopte i got is really rugged so i believe i cant go wrong im leaning towards the 43 for versatility im waiting on a response from auntie if she has any in stock

Either model should hold up just fine for your work, especially since you use axes for "the really heavy stuff."

I'd say the CAK (or AK, which differs only in the handle type) is more of a dedicated heavy chopper, while the M43 (a beefed up version of a World War II model) is a little more versatile, since the design is based on a knife that was part tool and part weapon.

Since you are going to use the blade a lot, weight is an important consideration. On average, I think that a 16.5" CAK will probably weigh about the same as an 18" M43. That's just an average, since there's a lot of variation in these hand-forged blades, even for a given model and length. Based on that, I'd recommend the M43, but you have to ask about the weight before ordering a particular blade.

I'm assuming that on 62 acres there will be a variety of tree limbs, saplings and tough shrubs that need attention. The M43 will be a little easier to use on the smaller stuff, and can also handle tougher jobs. I agree with Cul that the M43 is more graceful, but that's very much a matter of personal taste.

By the way, if you're in a cold climate the AK model doesn't have the CAK's exposed tang edges to freeze your hands (unless you always use gloves), and you really don't have to worry about the AK handle failing. The tang goes all the way through and is peened over at the end with a keeper, in addition to the laha epoxy that is used.

Yeah there are plenty of saplings pine hardwoods etc. In Ny cold is a factor and i trap so outdoors that is a good thought on ftang. I am not scared away by rat tails or other non ft. Seems like i am swaying to the 43.

I appreciate all the replies. I keep seeing 43, ak and cak in my future as well lol

I built my cabin last year and am working on pole barns and other structures im 100 % off grid there the cabin i built was with modern materials the out house barn and so forth will be natual log style but metal roofs.

I like that someone went off grid with these.

I refuse to believe there is anything tougher than my 18" M43. It's so nice. The weight/length really get it swinging.
I'd like to try a nice 16.5 CAK, in my mind it swings like a hatchet-sledge.
I think the ring-less handle on the M43 makes it comfier for lots of work but I haven't done a side-by-side compare with a CAK, just my 20" Gelbu Special which is outstanding. I would choose that over the M43 for a Bamboo Grove or a Zombie Grove.

Come try out the 18" M43

IKoxquB.gif

Well...I forgot who, but there is a forumite who lived off the grid for a year or two, and built a cabin with an 18" M43, so that is a testament to its "toughness".

Truthfully, I would trust any HI blade that is guaranteed for "field work" to be super tough, and survive anything you can throw at it.

I backpack and my goto blades are my light BAS 15" 17.5oz, or my WWII 18" 22 oz. I have worked them "hard", and they still look brand new, except for some marks on the blade.

Yep Wildmike spent 2 years-ish off grid here is a thread he shows his M43 that he used for most of it.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1041119-My-Famous-M43-Kukri

I beat Steve & Bawanna. I claim Jr. Librarian status...

Loving the Bura M43, thanks for sharing. The second picture there, not sure who made it, looks just like mine. Very cool for 13 years difference!

Last edited:
I refuse to believe there is anything tougher than my 18" M43. It's so nice. The weight/length really get it swinging.
I'd like to try a nice 16.5 CAK, in my mind it swings like a hatchet-sledge.
I think the ring-less handle on the M43 makes it comfier for lots of work but I haven't done a side-by-side compare with a CAK, just my 20" Gelbu Special which is outstanding. I would choose that over the M43 for a Bamboo Grove or a Zombie Grove.

Come try out the 18" M43

IKoxquB.gif

Yeah so I am pretty sold on the 43 now I think for the next one it is the logical step thats awesome

Ok so last question are the ones listed on the site in stock or are they ordered, or do you think she will list one here on the dotd forum.

I responded to her last email but was unsure if I order from her via email or on the site.

Thanks

My intuition is to just email her and see what she says. I'd expect you'd be well-taken-care-of.

Yup, just send her an email and tell her what you have in mind. She may or may not have one hand. But I'd suspect she probably does.

Ok so last question are the ones listed on the site in stock or are they ordered, or do you think she will list one here on the dotd forum.

I responded to her last email but was unsure if I order from her via email or on the site.

Thanks

I would order directly from Yangdu via email, or from blades that she posts on this forum. The HI online store is almost like an archive these days. There's no guarantee that the models and sizes shown there are available at any given time, and the range of models, lengths and weights is much more limited than what the kamis produce. Also, if you order from Yangdu or from this forum you will know the actual weight and dimensions of the blade (with photo), whereas the pictures and specs at the online store are generic.

Good luck. Let us know what you get, preferably with pictures.

Back