Important Info! ~ Himalayan Imports - Limited Lifetime Warranty ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yangdu

Himalayan Imports Owner ~ himimp@aol.com

k5DyrbE.gif

~ Himalayan Imports - Limited Lifetime Warranty ~

6/15/2009

Congratulations and Thank You for your purchase from Himalayan Imports! All of our Khukuri and Knives are handmade in Nepal by true craftsmen of the Kami caste and every effort is given to make these items the best khukuri to come out of Nepal, At Himalayan Imports, we want our valued customers to be satisfied with our product and service, Therefore we offer the following Limited Lifetime Warrantee on our product to our customers.

All Himalayan Imports Products carry a non-transferrable Limited Lifetime Warranty against defects in workmanship and manufacture to the original purchaser only.
All Himalayan Imports Products are Inspected for quality before sale by Himalayan Imports owners and staff.
If your product is damaged under normal use (not abuse or misuse), please contact Himalayan Imports by mail, phone, or email:

HIMALAYAN IMPORTS
3495 LAKESIDE DRIVE, PMB-69
RENO, NV 89509

(775) 825-2279
himimp@aol.com

After contacting us, send the product, insured and with shipping paid, to the address above. We will not accept unpaid or uninsured packages. Upon receipt, we will evaluate the returned product for evidence of abuse or misuse based on our many years of experience and expertise. We will then contact you to resolve your complaint for damage covered by this warranty by repair, replacement, or exchange of the product.
All warranties are at the Discretion of Himalayan Imports.

Abuse/Misuse - As defined by Himalayan Imports :
Any product which is used for purposes not intended or suitable for the product.
Any product not used within its inherent limitations.
Any product Intentionally rendered unservicable in order to effect replacement by warranty.
Modification of any blade/blade edge to an extent that it becomes unstable or unsuitable for the purpose for which it was intended.

Normal Use- As Defined by Himalayan Imports:
Use of the product for its intended purpose/s and not extending its use past its inherent limitations or using it under unsuitable conditions or circumstances, or by modification of the product to such an extent that it becomes unsuitable for its intended purpose/s.

Field Use - As defined by Himalayan Imports:
Chopping wood, limbing trees, clearing trails, camp use, properly batonning firewood.

General Use - As defined by Himalayan Imports :
Clearing light brush, light household chores, caping or skinning of game.

The following models are warranted for "Field Use" and are warranted against breakage during "normal use". They are NOT warranted against MISUSE or ABUSE (intentional or otherwise) as determined by/at the discretion of Himalayan Imports, Its owners and/or staff.

This warranty covers the following models at an overall length of 15" inches and above. Smaller versions of these models should be considered as being in the general usage category as they are not large enough for dedicated chopping.

1) Chiruwa Ang Khola (the only khukuri warranted for use as prybar)
2) Ang Khola
3) British Army Sevice
4) World War II
5) M-43
6) Ganga Ram Special
7) Bonecutter
8) Pen Knife
9) Ang Khola Bowie
10) Amar Singh Thapa Khukuri

Bone - As Bone can be as hard as rock in many cases, H.I. khukuri are not warranted for chopping thru bone.
If you must dress an animal, it is best to use the right tool (such as a hatchet or saw) or to pry the joint apart.
Despite the name Bonecutter, it is not warranted for chopping thru bone.

All other models made by Himalayan Imports should be considered for General Use only and, while still covered under our LIMITED WARRANTY, may not be covered if the product has not been used within the guidelines stated above, especially in cases deemed to have been caused by carelessness or abuse. All Warranties are at the Discretion of Himalayan Imports, Its Owners and Staff.

DOTD (Deal of the Day) Sales. Any Item listed for sale as a "Blem" or blemished item is a Final Sale with no warranties, expressed or Implied. Since most of these blem items are sold because of defects in handle material, the blade may still be covered under the warranty at the discretion of Himalayan Imports. All other DOTD sales are discounted items. Defects known to Himalayan Imports will be disclosed to the buyer. Warranty coverage will be at the discretion of Himalayan Imports.

Special thanks to Berkley and Karda for the help

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, Yangdu.

For your own sanity, you might want to make this a sticky.

Read the warranty guys. . .CAKs rule! There can be only one!!! :D

Glad to see this. Seems more than fair.

Can someone describe the proper technique for batoning with a Kuk?

Love it! The CAK is warranted against use as a prybar! THERE's some confidence in the product!!::cool:

Many thanks for posting this Aunty Yangdu.

I love my CAK. That's the reason I bought it. The only knife that can pry apart half-split logs. Thanks Yangdu!

Wow: my Gelbu Special is not tough enough for "Field Use?" It's one Heck of a tough blade! This makes me want a "tough" HI even more!

Ang Khola -- the only khuk so tough it makes the list twice! Three times if you count the Chiruwa version too.

Thank you Aunty Yangdu. I'm going to go hug my 20" CAK now (in the sheath mind you)

Wow: my Gelbu Special is not tough enough for "Field Use?" It's one Heck of a tough blade!

I think the same about my Chitlangi. Too bad it doesn't make the cut so to speak.

Maybe with further consideration a few more models will go on the list.

Thinking about the Foxy Folly, YCS Khuk, and Tamang to name but a few.:confused:

i just recieved my 25" sirupati today. absolutely beautiful. wood or horn handle beside, its a masterpiece. too bad its not " socially acceptable" or "lawful" to carry a razor sharp 25" blade on your hip throughout the day.

Glad to see this. Seems more than fair.

Can someone describe the proper technique for batoning with a Kuk?

Proper Batonning technique would consist of :

Using the "sweet spot" of the khukuri and hitting the spine forward of the curvature of the blade, over the "sweet spot", but behind the unhardened tip with a wooden baton, thus concentrating the most force over the hardest part of the blade. Just as you do not want to chop with the unhardened areas, you do not want to baton with them either.
Keep the handle area level or slightly higher than the piece you are batonning and keep it from contacting the piece you are working on, contact can break your handle or break the blade in the tang or cho areas.

Use common sense when batonning. You should'nt try to split logs in half, this is what axes, hatchets, splitting mauls and wedges were made for. You should be creating "shake' or small firewood of up to approximately 4 inches, not processing lumber. The term "do not bite off more than you can chew" would apply here.

Once you have embedded your khukuri into the wood you should not raise the khukuri and wood as a unit by the handle and force the blade thru by slamming them to the ground, this can cause the blade to break at the tang or cho areas.

scan0001-1.jpg

Last edited:
I wish that more warranties were written this well; it doesn't leave any doubts or questions about coverage, yet is written in clear, plain language......and it's fair.

Perhaps more importantly, the categorization of khukuris by usage type might actually help someone make a selection! This new warranty is, I think, a real asset to the company. Finding a helpful document like this on a company's website would make a really good impression on a customer, or at least on me. And I'd know, because I've proofread corporate documents before: this one gets an A.

Perhaps more importantly, the categorization of khukuris by usage type might actually help someone make a selection!

And it could lead to the homogenization of the HI Khukuri model lineup to only a very limited Chiruwa based model range for the choice of choppers.

What about the stick tang models other than the BAS and WWII?

I can not believe that the Berkley Special, YCS, Smasher, and Boomerang Khuks are not 'heavy duty' usage products.

What what about the Chitlangi? Or the new Yeti Hunter?

Less haste, more consideration please?

Are HI swords inspired by filipino blades covered for field use? (Bolo, Himalayan Import Sword)

size.jpg

Or that recent knife nepal people used to chop trees?

Are HI knives suitable for bushcraft?

Perhaps more importantly, the categorization of khukuris by usage type might actually help someone make a selection!

I've actually been putting something like that together, rating on a 1 to 5 scale.

1 being "purely weapon".
5 being "pure chopping tool".
3 being equally both.

(With khukuris this usually overlaps though.)

For example:

1 - Kobra, Movie Model
2 - Sirupati, Chainpuri, Panchthar & Dharain Chitlangis

(I'd give the Gelbu Special a 2.5 but I'd need to actually handle one myself for sure)
3 - Standard Chitlangi, M43, BAS
(I personally consider the M43 more of a 3.5 but many might disagree; my brother being one of them)
4 - WW2, UBE, Ultimate Fighter, Yeti Hunter
5 - Ang Khola, Bonecutter, Ganga Ram Special, Pen Knife

Now keep in mind this is NOT rating them quality-wise. This is just something I've been kicking around in my head as categorizing a khukuri in degrees of tool vs weapon. Many on this list do not own myself but I have based their position by studing their forms and by reading what others who DO own them have to say. This is also not taking size into account. I'm going solely by the design of the blade itself. Also keep in mind these are hand made items; no two are ever exactly the same, so some will perform better than others due to the individual nuances the Kami will forge into them.

If anyone is interested in this and/or wants to add to it or debate it, by all means do so, especially if you own one of the khukuris I do not, and disagree with my guestimations.

If anyone is interested in this and/or wants to add to it or debate it, by all means do so, especially if you own one of the khukuris I do not, and disagree with my guestimations.

Great idea Wolf_1989!:thumbup:

I believe much more consideration needs be given to which models qualify as 'choppers' and just as importantly that diversity of the HI product range is maintained.:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back