Important Info! ~ Himalayan Imports - Limited Lifetime Warranty ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the Hanuman was never designed to be a heavy duty khuk. It has always been partial tanged and pinned, at best (well except for the few peened ones that have come down the line from time to time). However, keep in mind that many, many khuks made in Nepal are partial tangs glued into the handle :eek: They just use it until it gets loose after a couple of years then take it back to the kami to readjust.

That said, I'd never use my partial pinned khuks for heavy use simply because I have heavier duty options.

The YCS in yesterday's post made me think that they should probably be on the warranted for "Field Use" list.

Also, wasn't this list a sticky?

thanx gunz--i pet my hi khuks----literally. i just wondered if something actually happend--was the older knife warranty in place?? i certianlly wouldnt screw-job yangdu like that

in perspective ive seen the you--toobe guys beat the living hell outa an 18in ak-----they broke the tang--bent the blade--but couldnt in their definition destroy the knife..nos004 or something like that.

pointless imho---do you knoe who made the khuk from the movie "pig hunt"????? if it was an hi am buyin!!!!:thumbup::cheerful::cheerful:-*

The YCS in yesterday's post made me think that they should probably be on the warranted for "Field Use" list.

Also, wasn't this list a sticky?

There are a few which make you scratch your head, but it seems fullers may play a part in the decision. If my Rajkumar Hanuman had a standard (long) tang, it would be bullet proof. Senior Hanuman would look cool with a little brass skull cap/keeper:D!

If I could add my 0.02 to this subject it would be this. When it comes to chopping, the only things that matter are proper heat treatment and chopping technique. If those two are matched correctly, it doesn't really matter how long, thick or thin the blade is. A well made purely fighting knife whether it is a khukri or a Bowie will run circles around a poorly made dedicated chopper. Having used all kinds of knives for chopping I'm fairly certain that even the thinnest HI khukri will chop well and not suffer any structural damage (assuming that it has been heat treated according to the right specs). That being said, if the user employs improper chopping technique, hits a hidden nail or chops frozen wood, no guarantees can be made. I'm not suggesting that people ignore warranty guidelines issued by HI, but I personally believe that their products can withstand quite of bit of heavy duty use above and beyond what their warranty suggests (this includes the non-field use models)

I'm pretty sure that all the regulars on this forum both know the uses (and abuses) of khukuris and are knowledgeable and honest about what is their responsibility and what really deserves a refund. But that may not be true for everyone else.

I have a suggestion. What if Karda or someone put together a 1-page sheet to go out with each knife. He recently provided that simple drawing with the sweet spot shown. Add a few basic instructions and cautions. And give the URL for the HI website and this forum to go to if they want additional information.

I see that Sirupatis are rightfully on the "general use" and not the "field use" list.

However, what about Tameshigiri mats? I want to test a 20 and 25 inch Siru on some someday. Would that be reasonable use under "general use" category?

I see that Sirupatis are rightfully on the "general use" and not the "field use" list.

However, what about Tameshigiri mats? I want to test a 20 and 25 inch Siru on some someday. Would that be reasonable use under "general use" category?

I don't see a problem using them. Just use common sense and be safe.

This is clear and is fair IF they are honorable people. I am not saying they are NOT but as a first time buyer I do not know. If it is left to their discretion it is ONLY fair if they are FAIR honorable people as they can say whatever they want. Meanwhile I have paid to ship something around the world not even knowing if I will be compensated.
Has anyone actually returned a blade? What were the results?
Thanks

Has anyone actually returned a blade? What were the results?
Thanks

Welcome to the forum:)

Sorry I didn't respond to you sooner, I sometimes forget to look up at the stickies:eek:

HI has been going strong for close to 20 years. A brief search of BFC archives as well as poking around BFC's Feedback section in the "Hall of Fame" will show that Yangdu is 100% on the up and up. The original warranty was written when a handshake was good as a 9 page legally binding contract. Sadly, when some faceless cretins discovered the loophole, they exploited it to their gain and HI's loss. As such, in order for HI to survive, they had to modify their warranty to reflect the lowest common denominator.

As for returning a blade, I have only had to return one in 11 years. It was small belt knife and the tip was just a tad brittle and snapped under light pressure. Yangdu sent me a new one right out. Most of the time, Yangdu tends to error on the side of good faith and in the customer's favor. The warranty, however, must be worded as such (remember the lowest common denominators out there) to protect herself and the company.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in both the quality of the blade as well as the incredible service.

One thing, you mention that you are having something shipped "half way around the world", but your location is listed as Texas. Are you in Texas or living somewhere else? The reason I ask is that HI knives are shipped from Nepal to Yangdu here stateside. She's in Reno, NV. You'd get your knives pretty dang quick.

I have about a dozen knives from HI and live in Texas. It has never taken more than two days to receive mine. So far 100% and happy as a clam:thumbup:
Welcome to the forum:)

Sorry I didn't respond to you sooner, I sometimes forget to look up at the stickies:eek:

HI has been going strong for close to 20 years. A brief search of BFC archives as well as poking around BFC's Feedback section in the "Hall of Fame" will show that Yangdu is 100% on the up and up. The original warranty was written when a handshake was good as a 9 page legally binding contract. Sadly, when some faceless cretins discovered the loophole, they exploited it to their gain and HI's loss. As such, in order for HI to survive, they had to modify their warranty to reflect the lowest common denominator.

As for returning a blade, I have only had to return one in 11 years. It was small belt knife and the tip was just a tad brittle and snapped under light pressure. Yangdu sent me a new one right out. Most of the time, Yangdu tends to error on the side of good faith and in the customer's favor. The warranty, however, must be worded as such (remember the lowest common denominators out there) to protect herself and the company.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in both the quality of the blade as well as the incredible service.

One thing, you mention that you are having something shipped "half way around the world", but your location is listed as Texas. Are you in Texas or living somewhere else? The reason I ask is that HI knives are shipped from Nepal to Yangdu here stateside. She's in Reno, NV. You'd get your knives pretty dang quick.

IsnessIs, i believe that most people who have bought blades have genuinely been happy with them

a lot of people use these blades very hard

sometimes there are issues. generally speaking, they've been handled quite well

a little searching, probably will yield a wealth of posts

you'll also find some few complaints, but they are few

yangdu has become quite proficient at cocooning the knives and ships USPS Priority with tracking

nothing gets lost, packages arrive in a timely manner, predicated by USPS Priority practices - 3-5 days, often less

if you don't like it, resale value, esp for the more rare items, is usually pretty good

me? i've owned probably over a hundred at this point, have sold or traded many off that needed to move on, mostly as my tastes and needs changed

i still have a core collection of a couple few dozen. very nice stuff.

buy in confidence.

i especially recommend the "bone cutters" by sgt khadka :D

be careful though, it's addictive, HI is.

Thanks guys for explaining all this stuff, I really appreciate your time and effort.
:)
Mark

What is a good one to start with? I would like to try one for self protection and general purpose on my semi truck. I also have BIG Hands, is there any difference in handle size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back