History of Cold Steel Trail Masters (and Recon Scout)

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
With the demise of the Cold Steel Forums, I am attempting to recreate the History threads that I had done over there. Hopefully this can be made a sticky.

History of Cold Steel Trail Masters (and Recon Scout)

This will focus on the older Trail Masters made in USA and Japan, rather than the newer ones made in China and Taiwan. Along with the archived catalogs, I also have two articles about the TM from National Knife Magazine, from May and September 1988 issues.

The May 1988 article ends the debate on whether the V in Carbon V is for Five or Vee: “At the heart of the new Bowie is a special steel, called Carbon V. By the way, that’s Carbon Five, not Carbon Vee, according to Cold Steel’s Patrick Frank.”

My plan is to paste in all the text, and then populate the pics, so bear with me. Hoping to include more pics this time. Most of the pics are from knives I either own or bought and resold. Some of the pictures are not great, as the CS Forums site had size limits, and I wasn’t going to take all new pics…I may replace some here and there as I go.

I am also adding more detailed text descriptions of the markings, instead of just relying on the pix. That way if the pix are lost there is still something to go by.

The info presented is based on what I’ve learned over years of collecting and research. I can’t guarantee that it is all 100% complete and accurate, and I welcome any additional info and corrections.

Can also check out this Hattori site with additional info on TM's and Tantos (thanks KenHash!): http://hattoricollector.com

Before getting to the different models, here is some info that is common to all TMs:

Blade Length: 9 1/2"

Blade Thickness: 5/16"

All carbon TMs (Carbon V, SK-5, O-1) have brass guards and lanyard holes, even the guard on the black epoxy-coated version was brass underneath. All stainless TMs (AUS 6A and SMIII) have stainless guards and lanyard holes.
Also, there are basically 2 blade designs, with the difference being the ricasso/choil. The original, or Gen 1, has the little “nub” sticking out, and the markings are on the ricasso. The Gen 2 design is “cleaner”, and the markings were moved up near the blade spine (they later came back to the ricasso on knives made in China and Taiwan).

EwGlT8Yl.jpg

====================================================================================================

Carbon V Trail Master with satin blade and brass guard - #16 & #16C

MzqEtgFl.jpg
suqLFxel.jpg

The Gen 1 model # is 16, and the Gen 2 model # is 16C. But I have seen Gen 2’s with boxes that just say 16, so maybe they were just using up stock of old boxes.

Period:

Gen 1: 1987/88? – 1991? One of the TM articles mentions that the TM prototypes were first shown at the SHOT show in 1987, so it follows that they were possibly released later in 1987, or in 1988. But it is not in the 1988 catalog, so maybe later in 1988? Also not sure when this version was discontinued. In the 1992 Special Projects catalog I have, it says they were temporarily discontinued due to the loss of “some key craftsman…” Yet the same catalog has the Recon Scout and Flight of the Intruder TM, so not sure what the issue was.

Gen 2: 1993 - 2001

Blade Steel: Carbon V; both 1988 TM articles mention the convex edge, so it seems that the Gen 1’s at least started out that way, but I have also seen ones with regular V-edges. As far as I know, all Gen 2’s have a regular V-edge.

Blade Markings: There are 3 versions that I know of:

1) Gen 1:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
COLD STEEL
VENTURA, CA

Side 2:
CARBON V
MADE IN USA

Bxfld9Sl.jpg

2) Gen 2:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
CARBON V STEEL

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
CARBON V MADE IN U.S.A.

pcwOU2tl.jpg

3) Gen 2:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
CARBON V STEEL

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN THE USA

CXpS8oul.jpg

Sheath:

Gen 1: Black leather. Early ones have the strap that goes around the handle, while later ones may have the strap that goes over the guard.

Gen 2: Black Cordura/nylon (1993 - 1998) or Black leather (1999 – 2001)

==============================================================================================

Made in Japan Carbon V Trail Master with satin blade and brass guard - #16C

Had heard rumors of these, but wasn’t sure if they actually existed until I found one on eBay, and luckily won it. Have only seen a few over the years since, so they are pretty rare.

FvBYfw3l.jpg

Period: Not really sure, but maybe early 90’s? With the temporary discontinuation of the TM announced in the 1992 catalog, maybe this was an attempt to keep things going until they could be produced in the US again?

Blade Steel: Carbon V; mine has the convex edge (not sure if they all do)

Blade Markings:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
CARBON V STEEL

Side 2:
COLD STEEL, VENTURA, CA
MADE IN SEKI CITY, JAPAN

e4xlU29l.jpg

This is the only Cold Steel marking I know of that says Seki City instead of just Seki.

Sheath:
Mine has the black Cordura/nylon

Last edited:
Stag Trail Master - #16S

7aGnjwxl.jpg

Period:

Gen 1: 1988? – 1991? The May 1988 article mentions the Stag version being available, so it didn’t lag behind the regular model much, if at all.

Gen 2: 1995 - 2001

Blade Steel: Carbon V; all of the ones I have seen have a regular V-edge

Blade Markings: Same as the Gen 1 and Gen 2 regular TMs...here is an example of the Gen 1:

1Vu8ty9l.jpg

Sheath:
Brown leather. Early Gen 1’s have the strap that goes around the handle, while later ones may have the strap that goes over the guard. Gen 2’s have the strap that goes over the guard.

====================================================================================================

Stainless Trail Master - #16JS

xiii2ZMl.jpg
oYdBZfrl.jpg

Period:

Gen 1: Not exactly sure, but figure late 80’s – early 90’s

Gen 2: 1998 - 2001

Blade Steel:

Gen 1: Cold Steel’s “400 Series Stainless”; convex edge

Gen 2: AUS 6A; convex edge. The 1998 and 1999 catalogs mention both AUS 6A and 8A, but later catalogs only say AUS 6A, so I am guessing the 8A is a mistake and that they are all AUS 6A AUS6A

Blade Markings:

Gen 1:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL, INC
VENTURA, CALIF
MADE IN JAPAN

qRrgHjPl.jpg

Gen 2:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN JAPAN

XOoeIqSl.jpg

Sheath:
Black Cordura/nylon

==================================================================================

Flight of the Intruder Trail Master - #16JSB

gGSRQOEl.jpg

Cold Steel made a special TM for Willem Dafoe’s character in the Flight of the Intruder movie, and then offered a limited edition of 500 replicas for sale. Unlike the regular TM, it has a black micarta handle, and a blacked out blade finish. Apparently at the time it was very difficult to black out stainless steel, so when you do see these, they may have blemishes in the finish. Also came with a CoA. The 1992 catalog lists the model # as 16B, but the box label on mine says 16JSB.

Period:
1992? The movie came out in 1991, and this knife is in the 1992 catalog, but not sure if it was available before 1992.

Blade Steel: Cold Steel’s “400 Series Stainless”; convex edge

Blade Markings:

Side 1:
INTRUDER logo and serial number

Side 2:
COLD STEEL, INC
VENTURA, CALIF
MADE IN JAPAN

S6JUsifl.jpg

Sheath:
Black leather, with strap that goes over guard

Last edited:
Carbon V Trail Master with black epoxy-coated blade/guard - #16CB

nX36ykgl.jpg

Period: 2002 - 2006

Blade Steel: Carbon V

Blade Markings (stamped):

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL USA

p2FS4JBl.jpg

Sheath:
Black leather, with strap that goes over guard

==================================================================================

San Mai III Trail Master - #16JSM

O1CDQSYl.jpg

Period:
1998 - 2005 (San Mai III); 2006 – Present (VG-1 San Mai III)

Blade Steel: San Mai III and VG-1 San Mai III; convex edge

Blade Markings: There are 2 versions that I know of:

1) Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
SAN MAi III logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN JAPAN

S7NVEQ6l.jpg

2) Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
VG-1 SAN MAi III logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN JAPAN

wSMyaVll.jpg

Sheath:
Black Cordura/nylon

Carbon V Recon Scout

Since the Recon Scout is basically just a shortened TM, I figured I would include it as well. I believe there are 3 versions of the CV Recon Scout:

1. First pre-production batch that was only available to the military for Desert Storm. Has the Gen 1 ricasso/choil, and a slight recurve blade. Wasn’t even called the Recon Scout yet, and there were no markings on the knife (sterile). The blade had more of a parkerized finish than the later epoxy coating.

UqZaGNTl.jpg
usxjiKPl.jpg

Period: 1990 – 1991

Sheath: Black Cordura/nylon

Blade Markings: None

2. First production version offered to the public. Was still Gen 1, and was now called the Recon Scout, but they were still sterile, and the recurve was gone. Blade was epoxy-coated. The 1992 catalog says that they were a Special Projects exclusive. I don’t believe they even came in a box, just a bag, and included a little blue info card. Most of the ones I have seen for sale are missing the card.

vfW3pf5l.jpg
3iHSnBgl.jpg

Comparison of recurve version (top) and regular version (bottom):

UfFnzW5l.jpg

Period: 1992 – 1994. It is shown in the 1992 Special Projects catalog and the 93/94 catalog.

Sheath: Black Cordura/nylon

Blade Markings: None

3. Final CV version, with Gen 2 ricasso/choil, epoxy coating, and markings.

60FOnPAl.jpg
QYCdtXLl.jpg

Period: 1995 – 2006

Blade Markings (stamped):

1) Side 1:
COLD STEEL

Side 2:
USA CARBON V

vH93FMil.jpg

Sheath: Black Cordura/nylon (1990 – 1997); Black leather (1998 – 2003); Secure-Ex (2004 – 2006)

Misc: I acquired a very unusual Recon Scout off eBay a while back. It had the Gen 1 ricasso/choil, and was parkerized like the recurved version, but didn’t have the recurve, and it had large “billboard” markings on both sides of the blade. Only one I’ve ever seen, so thinking it may be some sort of prototype or promotional piece.

7g8JgY1l.jpg
hPOE8L2l.jpg

On the one side it is pretty easy to read COLD STEEL with VENTURA CA underneath. On the other side, can see RECON SCOUT easily enough, but underneath is not complete. Can make out what looks like ARBON and TEEL, so pretty sure it said CARBON V STEEL.

C2CbXD0l.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget two other unusual Trail Masters that have surfaced here on Blade Forums. The first is Forum member zonk's incredibly rare experimentally Parkerized version that he wrote to Lynn Thompson about and received the reply shown in the last photo explaining the knife's history. Like the Recon Scout you found on eBay, it also has the early model logo printed on the blade underneath the Parkerization.

IMG-4883.jpg

IMG-4884.jpg

IMG-1996.jpg

The second is my sterile epoxy-coated Carbon V Trail Master, which I purchased directly from the Special Projects catalog as a Second. Though not shown in the photos, it came with the standard Cordura sheath.

IMG-4911.jpg

IMG-4912.jpg

Thanks again for posting these great histories!

-Steve

Last edited:
I only wanted to thank you for an invaluable post. This post has helped firm up memories, date knives carried in combat and owned in past, and date ones currently owned. And it may as well be titled a shopper's guide as for recognizing what is made when, and what authentic looks like.
THANK YOU.
also same for the similar recon tanto/SRK thread posted elsewhere. Superb help and knowledge base. Too bad saved only to ethereal internet, where even if maintained, buried under useless data.

Now, I do have ONE question. It regards the black leather sheaths. Without exception, every leather sheath in this post features the riveted throat corners, as well as the riveted swiveling retention strap, and assumed separate riveted/sewn drop loop on back.

I am assuming that very last version of the black Trailmaster photo, with sheath in plastic bag, holds the Sullivanesque internal skivved retention loop and drop loop, with zero rivets? My memory says one of my black TMs with this sheath was bought just before the Camillus collapse and loss of USA production along with the later steel alloy Dan Maragni cooked up, which with his salt bath heat treat became Carbon V. But really would like to date the 100% sewn conventionally made black sheath. Which is a favorite. Am assuming all the 2002-2006 black TMs came with the sewn/only sheath? (with obvious chance of some initial overlap.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the sheaths, the very early leather sheaths that have the retention strap that goes around the handle (see 2nd pic in post #1, and also the sheath for the Stag version in post#2) did not have rivets, other than for the retention strap. For the particular sheath you mentioned (for the black CV version), I found some other pics, and there are also no rivets, other than for the strap, allowing it to be ambidextrous.

16jsm_3.jpg

There is another sub-version (up to you if you wanna include it, since its a minor difference). the newest vg-1 san mai hattori-made trail masters have a different pattern on the kraton handle

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the sheaths, the very early leather sheaths that have the retention strap that goes around the handle (see 2nd pic in post #1, and also the sheath for the Stag version in post#2) did not have rivets, other than for the retention strap. For the particular sheath you mentioned (for the black CV version), I found some other pics, and there are also no rivets, other than for the strap, allowing it to be ambidextrous.

I appreciate the shot at answering, but perhaps a misunderstanding. Was meaning black sheaths with guard straps, not brown, not around handle versions.

Regarding the 2002-2006 black leather sheath only.
Were all of them Right-Hand only, sewn body and fixed strap and loop ONLY sheaths, and lacking any rivet anywhere, including strap?
And are you saying that generally the answer is yes, except you have seen some same as old riveted strap and loop sheaths, but lacking throat rivets? Or, totally sewn except strap riveted to swivel?

Last edited:
As far as I can remember, all of the TM sheaths i have ever seen have the strap that can swivel to be ambidextrous, so at least one rivet. But I don't have much experience with the black coated version, as they didn't interest me as much as the satin ones. So I suppose it's possible there were some with fixed straps, but seems doubtful.

Although this is the most current Trail Master video from Cold Steel Iron Proof- (2018), it still has historical significance in that Lynn Thompson describes the origins of the knife. He mentions having drawn the Trail Master design on a place mat at the Pierpont Inn some time during the mid 80's. He also credits custom knife maker Joe Cordova for having made the first 2 prototypes which he further "twitched".

There is no mention of Dan Maragni, who was employed by Cold Steel for 25 years, and was involved in all phases of knife design and manufacturing. Maybe his years of service with Cold Steel began after the Trail Master was already in production.

If anybody has more information I would be interested in reading about it.

Last edited:
That's some very interesting history that I'd never heard before! Thanks for posting this, Man with no name. I've watched several of the Iron Proof videos, but not all of them like I would have done had they been released as another DVD (hear what I'm saying, Cold Steel?), and I hadn't gotten around to watching this one yet.

I posted some of this in a different thread awhile ago, but it's relevant here. I believe it's mentioned in the 1987 test video that Lynn Thompson and Dan Maragni collaborated for over a year on the development of the Trail Master. Based on what Lynn says in the Iron Proof segment above, I suspect that he and Maragni worked on perfecting the design and the heat treatment. I'm intrigued by Joe Cordova's contribution, as I'd always assumed that Maragni made the prototypes. It sounds like Joe Cordova was integral to the development of two of Cold Steel's most iconic knives!

This is from Maragni's 2017 bio on the Ontario Knives site:

My commercial production experience was a direct result of my high quality custom work and led to my 25 year relationship with Cold Steel, Inc. I began consulting on steels, heat treatments and edge geometries and then spearheaded their move to US production and the commercial use of high performance carbon steels. My responsibilities included every aspect of production from rough drawing to finished knives and included training operators and quality control personnel, designing and making fixtures and gauges and establishing manufacturing procedures.

This is what Lynn Thompson wrote about Maragni in 2003 on the twentieth anniversary of his association with/employment by Cold Steel.

IMG-4913.jpg

"Twenty years of service" implies that Maragni began his employment/association with Cold Steel in 1983, well before the introduction of the Trail Master. How long the Trail Master was in conceptualization and development, however, is anybody's guess.

-Steve

Last edited:
jlauffer jlauffer , just out of curiosity, am I correct in my thinking that the VG-1 San Mai III Recon Scout was the only stainless Recon Scout ever produced?

I do not believe I ever found an AUS-6A or AUS-8A mono-steel example (like those that exist in Trail Master versions), or an AUS-8A core San Mai III (laminated knife from before the VG-1 days).

Thanks!

jlauffer jlauffer , just out of curiosity, am I correct in my thinking that the VG-1 San Mai III Recon Scout was the only stainless Recon Scout ever produced?

I do not believe I ever found an AUS-6A or AUS-8A mono-steel example (like those that exist in Trail Master versions), or an AUS-8A core San Mai III (laminated knife from before the VG-1 days).

Thanks!

Yes, as far as I know that is correct

Back