Home Built Surface Grinder

The wavy surface might be partly due to slight eccentricity in your contact wheel. I trued up my contact wheel using a flat piece of steel with some sandpaper attached with spray glue. I posted a thread about it here:

As I'm sure you're aware using a firm wheel helps, perhaps even an aluminum wheel that's precision turned. Also shallow passes for finish work, perhaps only .002" or so deep. You should be able to get <.001" over the 150mm lenigth. Here is one of my best results showing what it can do;
Tang.jpg

Middle.jpg

Tip.jpg

Darn, those images are larger than planned. AND do remember, this is about the best I've done - usually more like .001" to .002" over that 10" length

I've had issues with loosness in that table slide. I ended up wedging in some 0.010'' shims to tighten everything up... not ideal, but it got the job done.

I hope someone finds a better option for this cross table one day. I was even thinking of buying a cheap mill vise and modifying it.

Thanks! Looks like a good starting point to address the waves in the finish.
If you don t want waves in the finish , get real surface grinder .Very light pass at finishing will help a lot .Slow moving chuck also would help , but you will see them there whatever you do ......problem is that belt is not endless ,it is glued at the ends :)

I hope someone finds a better option for this cross table one day. I was even thinking of buying a cheap mill vise and modifying it.
I made my own dovetail slide with adjustable gib screws on the mini mill, see link below. There are other DIY solutions that are a bit easier/quicker to machine documented in this thread, and I think K Ken H> posted his version in a separate thread as well, but it's been a minute since I looked at all of this.

Back