Hook use on SAK

David Nowlin

Gold Member
I posted this on what SAK are you carring but maybe it needs it’s own thread how ever short that may be.
upload_2019-3-2_10-39-45.jpeg
You can use it to hang to drip and air dry. This is just an example? The knife would be fully opened if i actually did this??:eek::eek: :p:D

That's not a bad idea! I don't get much use out of my hook, but thankfully as it's on my Compact, it also has a nail file on it.

Last time I used the hook when I was stretching one of my old leather slip for knife that was bit too big for it. I could pull the knife out with the hook, without damaging the knife with pliers or such.

The girth to hook size ratio just isn't right. If the hook was the same size, but overall thinner I think it could have lot more uses. Same in reserve... same thickness, but bigger hook would also provide some more use.

Sorry to bring up a months old thread. I just think the hook is a needed tool that you actually never knew you needed. I don't use it often, but when I needed it, I'm sure glad I had it.

I used it to:
-loop the webbing back through my kids car seat after I had to disassemble and clean it
-help re-thread a pull sting that pulled all the way out
-move dozens of stacks of flat boxes bound by sharp, thin, plastic strapping
-pull tight a knot of thin cord

Probably some other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Its such a handy tool you never think about until you need it.

Last edited:
Some people you just cant please. If you start a new thread they yell that you should have used the search function. If you revive an old thread they yell you should have started a new one. Oh well. I haven't ran into that on this forum yet but I'm sure I will at some point.

Another use for the hook. While hiking I use a small titanium pot with a bail to boil water. I have used the hook to lift the pot by the bail when I was dumb and left the bail down to get licked by the flames.

Some people you just cant please. If you start a new thread they yell that you should have used the search function. If you revive an old thread they yell you should have started a new one. Oh well. I haven't ran into that on this forum yet but I'm sure I will at some point.

Try not to pull up anything more than a couple of years old, aknowledge in your post that you know it is old but still relevant and add something of substance to the original discussion and you shouldn't get any grief. Pull up a ten year old thread with "That's so cool!" and expect a hassle.

I’m totally reviving a 12yo thread with a thumbs up. :D

I kid. I kid. But I’ve seen folks else where that get pretty heated about a 8mo thread be brought back to life. Kind of ridiculous but some like playing keyboard commando.

Another use for the hook. While hiking I use a small titanium pot with a bail to boil water. I have used the hook to lift the pot by the bail when I was dumb and left the bail down to get licked by the flames.

That is really an excellent use. I never got a model with a hook because I saw no application. But that inspires me to maybe get aSAK with a hook and see if it doesn’t come in handy for something like that.

By far the best use for the hook is filling out the backspring side of the scissors :D

Useful if you have pull wire springs hard - fitting the membrane to a kids' trampolene.

I don't have a SAK with an LED light in it but I guess if you do then the hook is a quick way to give you a hanging light.

By far the best use for the hook is filling out the backspring side of the scissors :D
True enough, I tried replacing the hook with a corkscrew but it didn't give the correct tension, the scissors went all mushy. Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to file the hook down into a thin marlinspike? I'd wanted a corkscrew because it's great for opening knots but a marlinspike is better. Would need some careful work of course to round out the shaft of the hook, it's pretty thin to start with.

True enough, I tried replacing the hook with a corkscrew but it didn't give the correct tension, the scissors went all mushy. Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to file the hook down into a thin marlinspike? I'd wanted a corkscrew because it's great for opening knots but a marlinspike is better. Would need some careful work of course to round out the shaft of the hook, it's pretty thin to start with.
How would you open it? The end of the hook has the nubbin on it for opening it.

Back