• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hope Simon will do the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam ill back out.

Bottom line simonxm Tried to screw my good friend. Steal might get it done. Im sure he wont be buying any slip joints from most of the good makers.

After seeing the pics, on that knife...as beautiful as it is. I think I would've asked the maker about the gap too. If I wanted it perfect I would've taken Mr. Davison up on his offer of another comparable knife. If I could've lived with the flaw, I'd have accepted his discount and kept the knife.

It is nice to see a dialog between seller and buyer again and the apology from Mr. Davison.
GentleFolk, please let them amicably work this out. Pointing fingers isn't going to solve this. Nor is arguing who is right.

I can't speak as to what Mr. Davison should do. I only happen to have a pretty good idea of what 2 or 3 of the finest salesmen and customer service reps would do.
At this point I have lost track of how many khukuri customer returns I've serviced, refurbished, reworked or renewed to be sold as blems. Sometimes a return would be just that it didn't work out for a customer and he gave it a test drive and didn't care for it. Such as it is the item was returned a little scuffed and the customer satisfied with a refund. I can't tell you how many khukuri customs have jacked up before they even get here to be sold, but in 27 years of business....I can bet you money it's a bundle. Some of them high dollar. Most customers are reasonable people, some can be outright nasty. Fact of life in a service industry such as this. All we can do is try to take every precaution....take every situation individually.... try to make a buck and walk away with a satisfied customer. Sometimes service means making the best out of a difficult situation.
I know policy is usually refund upon return in saleable condition. It's a good policy. But sometimes shart happens and policy can be the difference between a satisfied or dissatisfied customer in a industry where often you're only as good as your last sale.

What might I do I this specific situation? IMHO, theres really only 3 options.

1) Again offer Simon another mammoth knife, checked over for gaps or anything else and provide him with clear real pics for his approval before mailing.
I would probably Work out something with him to ship to his direct address Priority insured in Taiwan apparently already provided in correspondence simon has shown here....No repackers. I'd then refurbish and/or sell the return at a discount to someone who wants a user.

2) Do what I could to refurbish the return and again offer it to simon at a generous discount.

3) Refund the customer entirely and let him walk away happy and be able to say, "you know, despite what happened...that knifemaker stood behind me as a customer and just wanted me happy. I highly recommend him.

It's really all in what Mr. Davison and Simon both can amicably agree to do to solve this problem. Leave all the other BS out of it. Give each other a handshake and start over. We all make mistakes. Rocket surgery it ain't.

Todd puts a knife up for sale and it sells sometimes within minutes. I don't think I have ever seen a for sale thread still active after 24 hours.

This knife would have the same fate if/when it goes back on the market, it will sell quickly.

$800 buys a fine custom knife and Todd Davison makes fine custom knives.

Period, the end..................................

I hate to see things get heated up over a darn pocket knife. All good guys here,take a break and be thankful for good stuff Happy Fourth All & as far as Ricky Bob goes,lol,well this might help 'splain the man ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HHtsyXTYB8

Will you sure as hell did offend me. You don't know what your talking about. You don't think going from the southern us to china something might change!! I have ivory knives from makers who most consider the BEST you can put a business card between the liner and spring certain times of the year.

Ps
you basically called me a liar. How big is that gap?

the gap being discussed has nothing to do with the natural materials. It is the gap between the backspring and the liner. Not the scales. The specific area is where the blade and backspring meet on the left side. It appears there is a gap between the spring and the bolster/liner.

What might I do I this specific situation? IMHO, theres really only 3 options.

1) Again offer Simon another mammoth knife, checked over for gaps or anything else and provide him with clear real pics for his approval before mailing.
I would probably Work out something with him to ship to his direct address Priority insured in Taiwan apparently already provided in correspondence simon has shown here....No repackers. I'd then refurbish and/or sell the return at a discount to someone who wants a user.

2) Do what I could to refurbish the return and again offer it to simon at a generous discount.

3) Refund the customer entirely and let him walk away happy and be able to say, "you know, despite what happened...that knifemaker stood behind me as a customer and just wanted me happy. I highly recommend him.

It's really all in what Mr. Davison and Simon both can amicably agree to do to solve this problem. Leave all the other BS out of it. Give each other a handshake and start over. We all make mistakes. Rocket surgery it ain't.

What I am confused about and maybe you caught what I missed but it seems many options have been given to simon and he refused them all so far including a refund. Right now it seem the buyer is was completely focused on an apology and that he got and he is continuing to focus on his reputation and his image in the community for which I dont understand what he is getting at. I am just really lost as to what outcome he is now hoping for.

Last edited:
Natural material pulls the liners which causes gaps between spring and liner.

Last edited:
Rick Menefee,

Stop sending me emails., PLEASE. I have asked you to stop four times.
Four(so far) since 5:30, with the first telling calling me a " piece of sh*t".

All because of this thread. That is beyond messed up, man. Yes, my email replies are harsh, but what did you expect.
I told you in this thread I was sorry if I offended you in any way, and then you start with the emails. Stop it, please.

VERY VERY sorry mods, and fellow BF members. Just trying to get the emails stopped, and asking in private isn't working at all.

Man, do I wish I had never posted in this mess of a thread:p

Ken I replied only because of what you stated to me in emails. I have no need to reply to you other than a paper trail to protect myself from slander.
I would hope that would be over. I would think everything that's been said would be enough

Ken I replied only because of what you stated to me in emails. I have no need to reply to you other than a paper trail to protect myself from slander.
I would hope that would be over. I would think everything that's been said would be enough

Why in the heck did you send the first email calling me "a piece of sh*t" ?
Never mind, I don't really need to know. Just stop the nonsense now.

We have now taken this thread clean off its rails. Very sorry Mods and fellow BF members.
I think we both may need to be dinged by a Mod at this point:D We deserve it,lol.

:couple_inlove::couple_inlove:
Let s all get past this and have Safe 4Th of JUly

Speak for yourself. I took it private

CommentPhotos.com_1405786188.jpg

Someone needs some Prozac. Attacking someone who just made some factual and personal opinions is not cool, or helpful. Stand down bro.

This type of issue is usually best dealt with privately.

T.A. makes great knives. Like any business, some customers will be unhappy even if the knife is great. It is a risk of the business to navigate sales and service issues with many customers.

However, by dealing with a private sales and service issue publicly, the business bears a greater risk - the potential to alienate other customers.

Small businesses may take a cue from larger ones here. I would not expect Spyderco, Benchmade, GEC, Case, CRK, or other established knifemakers to risk the bad PR over a single knife loss, regardless of the circumstances in which the loss occurred.

The damage to T.A.'s business and Rick's business from this thread likely exceeds the knives and the work.

The company always has to take the high road. If the high road is simply unbearable, there is legal recourse that can be explored. Almost always, companies and sellers come out of public debates looking unprofessional.

If the buyer and the seller are satisfied, perhaps it would be a boon to both to remove this thread entirely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back