How about a Fiddleback group buy????

I am pleased to see you are into this possibility Andy Fiddleback Fiddleback !! Thank you!! I don't think your stipulations are out of line at all. Bloodwood over natural liners/white pinstripes will do just fine for me! Hmmm and possibly a second available version if the stipulation doesn't include one per person?
I was one of the 12 on @Osprey Knife & Tool warthog pre-sales and he too had stipulations in order to keep the chaos down and nobody had a problem with that. Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.

No stipulation that there be one per person.

I can add OD canvas over natural with white pinstripe to the options list.

@VANCE Fiddleback Fiddleback I will be looking for the final details. Dibs on 2 at least. Thanks again guys! this will be special for all of us supporters. WHO KNOWS!! this could end up being super successful and you'll be able to line another one up soon!! Quarterly maybe?? Looking at the post on instagram of the wall of blades, I don't think you would run out of models to choose from. :) Thanks again for considering this option. I think we'll have a good time with this! Bmurray Bmurray what a great idea brother!

I would totally be in on a 3/32” DIW Hiking Buddy or Handyman with natural liners and blue (preferred) or white liners,
if done in spalted A2.

It’ll be interesting to see what the final options are.

Imo to keep the paperork simple and clean, these should possible be prepaid. This will help fund the materials and the CBW. I normally don' like this, but this is one company I would have no problem doing this for.

Also it would be cool to add GB on the tang somewhere.

I´m happy with your suggestion Andy. I´m def in for an Osage - maybe a second one;)
Now waiting for final details

I think this is a good idea, but I have some stipulations. I will talk to Bob today about those. I need to talk to ole Big Deal anyway.

One of the stipulations that is not up to Bob will be that there not be too many options. I'm OK with doing the 4 woods (Ironwood, Osage, Bloodwood, and Blackwood), but we will need for each wood to be matched with a specific set of liners. Allowing customization of the liners will trip us up here. An example would be Osage over natural with blue pinstripe. Ironwood over black with white spacers. Bloodwood over natural with white spacers. Blackwood over natural with white spacers. No exceptions. If y'all are willing to keep it to this, then we can likely make this a success.
This is all very exciting. Count me in for sure

I love this idea.

Especially when I just reached the point where I was beginning to think “I’m good for knives”

*giggle*

Silly.

Oh, Blood or Blackwood :)

ETA: or DIW or...

Last edited:
definitely watching, the little lady has been looking at these, would be a good surprise.

Bob,
I understand now why the call you "Big Deal"- Damn fine idea that seem to have taken on a life.
I am excited for the "GO" command. My engines are already started.
Bill

Imo to keep the paperork simple and clean, these should possible be prepaid. This will help fund the materials and the CBW. I normally don' like this, but this is one company I would have no problem doing this for.

Also it would be cool to add GB on the tang somewhere.

Great comments and ideas Bmurray Bmurray

At least a downpayment should be required (with option to pay in full) at the start of this project would be a good idea! BUT I also think that doing a FULL prepay would not be an issue (for anyone here on this thread) when it is in regards to any of the Fiddleback Forge family of knife makers (yeah, you guys are alright in our books LOL).
I think we would want some realistic time lines from Andy Fiddleback Fiddleback on turn around times. A 2-3 month build time could set some people back (possibly). The more interest in this project the more knives and longer build times I would expect??? all things to consider.
WIP pics along the way would keep us satisfied so that we are not asking every week how it's going!

I think a little tag of some sort somewhere would be a special thing for us. I hope that can happen.

The options are very cool although the OD green micarta with natural and blue liner like the HB that went last Friday could make my list. For now I'm leaning towards Bloodwood and DIW.

I think this is a good idea, but I have some stipulations. I will talk to Bob today about those. I need to talk to ole Big Deal anyway.

One of the stipulations that is not up to Bob will be that there not be too many options. I'm OK with doing the 4 woods (Ironwood, Osage, Bloodwood, and Blackwood), but we will need for each wood to be matched with a specific set of liners. Allowing customization of the liners will trip us up here. An example would be Osage over natural with blue pinstripe. Ironwood over black with white spacers. Bloodwood over natural with white spacers. Blackwood over natural with white spacers. No exceptions. If y'all are willing to keep it to this, then we can likely make this a success.

No stipulation that there be one per person.

I can add OD canvas over natural with white pinstripe to the options list.

So awesome!

I am elatedly surprised!

I think having stipulated handle combos is totally fair and reasonable.

And while I prefer Osage over natural with white liners, I think overall there is a stronger preference for Osage over natural with blue liners. So I concede my loss there. It should be a hot seller.

The DIW and OD canvas micarta combos should be hot sellers as well.

For Blackwood, my favorite combo is Blackwood over black with blue liners.

IMG_5792-vi.jpg

IMG_5777-vi.jpg

If anyone else would like that combo and wants to get some traction behind it, I would LOVE to see it be the Blackwood option. :D

I've only been part of one group buy, if it could really be called that. It had to do with the 2017 BladeForums knife in the Traditionals sub. It was both fun and exasperating and my hat went off many times to the few folks who endeavored to organize and make it happen.

So even though comparing that to this particular group buy scenario may be akin to comparing apples to oranges in a sense, I recognize the logistical challenges in making something like this happen. Determining what to make, how many to make, who gets what, etc. can be a particularly heady and irksome experience. Deposits or prepayment is certainly not inappropriate or outlandish to ask for as it establishes commitment on the part of the participants and judging by the most excellent reputation that Fiddleback and Co are in possession of, I wouldn't expect anyone to take issue with such monies being paid in advance.

That all being said, I am so very new to this little corner that despite my interest in this group buy, especially with the woods that are being suggested (all most excellent), I am ok with taking a back seat on this and will not intrude too much. I will enjoy seeing how the process plays out and if there is room for a new guy to contribute, then I'm all in.

If anyone else would like that combo and wants to get some traction behind it, I would LOVE to see it be the Blackwood option. :D

I’d be very interested as I would like to add another wood to my collection. Or Bloodwood.

ETA: Definitely with you on the Blackwood. Might wrangle a bit re the liners :)
I like the natural/white combo proposed by Andy. Or black/white.

Back