How about a gig ?

Has anyone ever fancied a little gig for their kits ?

I'm thinking of something that can be lashed to a stick and used to get frogs etc, used as part of a spring trap for larger critters (emergency use only) or used as a little back up knife.

Rough sketch but something like this maybe 3" overall ( to fit in an Altoids tin) with a 1" blade. 1/16" stock or thinner:

design079-1.jpg

Are you a mind reader ???? LOL I have a little gig designed, just not cut out yet....

Pit- you need to stop.. i can't afford to buy anymore knives/psk's and/or gigs from Mark...:eek: and you know i have to have one of these gigs...:D

I really like the idea and I've been looking for one to fit in an Altoids tin.

That's what I thought the PSK knife was for in the other thread, a tin. This would be better as it is a small knife and a spear of sorts. I would like to see more of a curved area where your finger would be as that looks pretty sharp. Plus, a small curved area would be less likely to cut through flesh in the event you did spear something. Does that make sense?

Also, maybe straighten the handle out just a little so it could be used more for a spear???

For gigging frogs and fish, I have been taking three, 3'' wood screws with an aggrestive thread and stick them through an eye screw. Then screw the eye screw into a stick, and wrap it with wire. Just make sure the head of the wood screw is large enough so it doesn't pass through the eye screw.

I now have a three prong gig for fish and frogs. The aggresive threads act as barbs and hold anything on the wood screw.

You sometimes have shim the wood screws between the threads and the stick so the wood screws are not pointing towards the center line of the stick, but pointing out, but that's no big deal once you figure out the angle. I just cut a couple small green twigs and ram them inbetween the screws and the stick and wire it down with a few wraps. Nothing to fantsy here. :eek:

I have been doing that for years and it is cheap and works great.

Now if you could possibly take some 1/8'' round stock spring steel in 5160 and thread one end and bend it at a right angle so it can screw into a stick or even make a circle to form an eye so a screw or nail can be used to hold it to a stick, and then some how hammer out a barb on the other end, and with a slight angle going away from the stick to form a wider area at the tips of the gig, and make each prong 3.5'' or so long so that they fit in a tin, that would be cool to. :p

Yeah I'd think that area could be curved, I was just thinking of Mark cutting it out and tried to keep it a little easier.

Not the best of drawings but I think something like this might work:

design080.jpg

That's a GREAT drawing Pitdog. I think that's just about perfect.

Maybe have that curved part just drilled out with a common size larger drill bit for easier and faster build time?? It would be less work finishing that way I would think. Then again with thin material and a large bit, I see trouble unless you clamp 10 of them together and drill away. :p

Also, I think some small grooves would need to be cut or filed into the handle. I'm saying this because, while I love the curved handle, I have never been able to really secure a curved piece of steel to a stick without the wire or string holding it, slipping off the handle and becoming loose. Or maybe just drill a small hole or two on the top and bottom in the handle so wire could be run through them and tightened down around the stick you are attaching it to?? Just something to really secure it.

Do you know what I mean? :eek:

That's a GREAT drawing Pitdog. I think that's just about perfect.

Maybe have that curved part just drilled out with a common size larger drill bit for easier and faster build time?? It would be less work finishing that way I would think. Then again with thin material and a large bit, I see trouble unless you clamp 10 of them together and drill away. :p

Also, I think some small grooves would need to be cut or filed into the handle. I'm saying this because, while I love the curved handle, I have never been able to really secure a curved piece of steel to a stick without the wire or string holding it, slipping off the handle and becoming loose. Or maybe just drill a small hole or two on the top and bottom in the handle so wire could be run through them and tightened down around the stick you are attaching it to?? Just something to really secure it.

Do you know what I mean? :eek:

Yeah good idea buddy, I know what ya mean !:thumbup:

Pit, got your designed profiled out, and heat treated. I added some extra holes..... hope ya don't mind, and I made it out of 3/32 1095. Heat treat will be a hardened edge with a spring temper back.....

right on Mark.. looking forward to checking this out...:thumbup: i always loved the idea/concept of a PSK/gig/knife.. i'm sure i'll want one too....:D

harpoon.png

harpoon2.png

here it is .....

covexed edge and grind, razor sharp... left this one a tad rough I guess, I could run it over the belt machine and make it pretty it ya want....

With the extra holes you can use screws to fasten it to a pole, or wrap with para-cord....

What are we pricing these things for ?????

Last edited:
harpoon.png

harpoon2.png

here it is .....

covexed edge and grind, razor sharp... left this one a tad rough I guess, I could run it over the belt machine and make it pretty it ya want....

With the extra holes you can use screws to fasten it to a pole, or wrap with para-cord....

What are we pricing these things for ?????

Awesome, ya nailed it buddy !;):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Back