How are Emerson Knives

I like Emerson knives for their design and the wave feature. But i'll be honest...if Emerson knives didn't have wave, i would never get one.
Mr Emerson said that his knives are made for hard duty, and not for people who whine about F/F. So i guess it's not for people like me. I have a CQC7 and it's an amazing knife that can take lots of abuse. However, there are many that i don't like about it.
First, the knife opens up in my pocket when i'm running. I can tighten the pivot, but the knife will be much harder to open compared to other brands. But then, there's the wave.
Next, the pocket clip is made in such a way that everyone knows u are carrying a knife if u clip it onto your pocket. But then, it allows for better grip of the handle to pull the knife out.
Lastly, the lock is crappy. My CQC7 lock is so sticky, and it has never worn down even after 4 months of use. My CQC13 lock is almost to the other end of the blade tang. However, the lock up is perfect on my CQC 15 and Karambit. I wonder why...
So... Emerson knives put 2 types of reaction on people: ''Dang, i can get better knives with less money.'' And ''Hey, these knives aren't for the weak.''

Lastly, the lock is crappy. My CQC7 lock is so sticky, and it has never worn down even after 4 months of use. My CQC13 lock is almost to the other end of the blade tang. However, the lock up is perfect on my CQC 15 and Karambit. I wonder why...
Have you tried applying Sharpie to the blade tang where the lock engages it? I've had that work wonders even on some really sticky titanium framelocks and linerlocks.

I wouldn't say emerson has bad QC. I think emerson is offering something different than other companies. emersons are design for rough and hard use in harsh environments, therefore, the so call "loose tolerance" (big gaps in pivot, rough machining) is made so on purpose so the knife can withstand harsh elements like sand, tiny rocks, dust, pocket lint, etc.
Think of it this way, if someone was to use a CRK seb in a desert enviroment, the tight tolerances won't be able to withstand the stuff that is being collected inside the knife and therefore it wont' function properly. Its the same idea people wear hiking boots instead of dress shoes when they hike....because the sole of the boots have rough treads.

Best way I can explain it, is that it's a well designed and very ruggedly built knife with little polish, that will take anything you throw at it.
I regularly use my 7 for things that would break most knives. Prying, scraping, hammering, chopping, stabbing, etc.

They're users, not for collectors.

Have you tried applying Sharpie to the blade tang where the lock engages it? I've had that work wonders even on some really sticky titanium framelocks and linerlocks.
Yes it works. But once the carbon wears off, it's back to sticky.

Things that I like about emersons knives - convenient wave feature, quality materials,and good ergomomics.

Things I don't like - unreliable lockup,poorly done silver coatings that chip off ,liners that wear faster that any other knife, extremely over priced

It makes me wonder if the cause of rapid liner wear is contributed to unsufficient hardness.

I also do agree with STR, definitely the most over rated knives.

I won't buy into Emerson until something changes. Too many caveats have been reported, and continue to be reported.

Plus the company attitude is offputting. Emerson seems awfully convinced that his knives are the be all end all, despite a plethora of evidence to the contrary.

I have been EDCing Emersons since 07. The F&F has gotten better and the new 15 I carry now is impressive. They are USERS and not wall hangers. If you want to USE it get an Emerson.

CRK's are for showing your friends, Emerson's are for showing your enemies.

the so call "loose tolerance" (big gaps in pivot, rough machining) is made so on purpose so the knife can withstand harsh elements like sand, tiny rocks, dust, pocket lint, etc.
Think of it this way, if someone was to use a CRK seb in a desert enviroment, the tight tolerances won't be able to withstand the stuff that is being collected inside the knife and therefore it wont' function properly.

No and no.
The rough liners don't enhance function, and the tight tolerances of CRK don't hinder ability to handle sand and mud.
I have Emersons and a CRK, and base my opinion on actual usage.:)

I wouldn't say emerson has bad QC. I think emerson is offering something different than other companies. emersons are design for rough and hard use in harsh environments, therefore, the so call "loose tolerance" (big gaps in pivot, rough machining) is made so on purpose so the knife can withstand harsh elements like sand, tiny rocks, dust, pocket lint, etc.
Think of it this way, if someone was to use a CRK seb in a desert enviroment, the tight tolerances won't be able to withstand the stuff that is being collected inside the knife and therefore it wont' function properly. Its the same idea people wear hiking boots instead of dress shoes when they hike....because the sole of the boots have rough treads.
Awesome, but unfortunately, incorrect.
I have been EDCing Emersons since 07. The F&F has gotten better and the new 15 I carry now is impressive. They are USERS and not wall hangers. If you want to USE it get an Emerson.

Personally, I don't go around flashing my knives to the people I find less than admirable. You must be Airborne, or a graduate of BUDS. High speed?

At any rate, the most well finished Emersons I own are the A100s, one from 2010 and the other from 2011.

Yeah, I'm not really buying the claim that Emerson knives were used by the military when Bin Laden was taken down, etc, so they're therefore more serious knives. You could say that Beretta 92FS variants were at most of the US military's significant battles, but Wilson Combat Supergrades weren't. The 92FS is still a crappy gun.

How are Emersons? Overpriced and over hyped as usual.

Perhaps they compared favourably to other knives on the market twenty years back, but nowadays you can get a knife that will kick the tar out of any Emerson for a fraction of the price. Why people still shell out hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a mediocre 154cm liner lock knife with a chisel grind on the wrong side of the blade and try to convince themselves they're getting their money's worth boggles my mind.

Ha-Ha............that's a great joke! It WAS a joke, correct??

I've never gotten into Emersons, mainly because of the edge grind. But I have also read the posts' concerning lockup being poor, and that CS seems to be a bit "put-off" if a knife is returned for a problem it has. Course I do not know anything about these knives firsthand.

Last edited:
I would love to have a CQC-8, but I like many others find them over priced for what they are and materials used. Still seems to be a great design, just wish it was cheaper.

Just to add a bit to my earlier post -- and lest anyone think I'm an Emerson fanboy -- I completely agree that they're overpriced given the materials used. Quite simply, you're paying a $50+ markup on most of their knives, relative to other companies' offerings, simply for the name.

However, the thing that attracted me to them and, after I got my first one, led me to buy more, is the designs. More specifically, the ergonomics are a superb fit for me: at least for me/my hands, they're easily some of the most comfortable folders I've ever owned.

I really couldn't care less whether Emersons were present when (insert terrorist's name) was captured/killed, are carried by many members of (insert special operations force), are the preferred knives for "showing your enemies" (huh?), and so forth. I simply find them to be very functional knives that offer designs -- and especially ergonomics -- that I like significantly more than most other knives, even if they are overpriced relative to other brands based on factors such as materials used, the "finish" component of F&F, and so forth.

Addendum to my previous post:

My suggestion to those of you who find a particular design appealing would simply be to try it out. I avoided getting an Emerson for a long time for exactly the reasons that have come up in this thread and countless others like it. You may find, like I did, that it's something you want to own even if, based on materials/finish alone, it is overpriced. Ideally, you could try it out at a store, knife show, etc. before buying, but even if you aren't able to, you could likely make all or nearly all of your money back if you buy it online and decide to resell it in the event that it doesn't work for you.

(Sorry, singularity35, I know this suggestion may not be practical for you given that you live outside the U.S.)

Ha-Ha............that's a great joke! It WAS a joke, correct??

not necessarily a joke but I did hit "Post" and say. Here it comes!

Ok but what I meant by this is that F&F only matter to the extent that they inhibit performance. Unless you are buying a knife for "bragging rights" or to be the cool guy. I just use my knives and every time I have ever called on the Emerson it has performed as advertised. I have asked it to do some not so pretty things over the years. lol

I got a cqc10 in a trade and I like it but don't love it for some reason. I would like to try a cqc7 but but I think they are pretty pricey for what they are

Back