How are Emerson Knives

Im sure there are some good working Emerson knives that work just fine and have plenty of happy owners.

Emerson and some of their customers have also seemed to jump on the marketing scheme used by the stri...well, that other "hardcore" knife company. When your stuff is sub-standard in F&F and less than reliable for the high price they ask for them you do not address the real problem or make apologies.

Instead you use the "hey, its a user for those who go-and-do...this aint no wall hanger for bragging rights". Then of course the "Not for showing your friends but for showing your enemies"...whites of their eyes and all that. The implication is that a knife that is well finished and does not reuire magic markers to make the locks work are lesser knives because they dont appear rough and hardcore.

For their prices it should be expected to have a decent and consistent F&F as well as function. All the other stuff is just excuses.

I think it's funny. The Question was "How are Emerson knives"

Compared to who?

Show me an equal quality knife with Better fit and finish and opens as fast as the Emerson for the same price point.

about me having to keep re applying the carbon... you've got my point about the lock.

about me having to keep re applying the carbon... you've got my point about the lock.
Yeah, no doubt it sticks pretty badly. I've had a knife or two -- my Bradley Alias I comes to mind -- to which I had to frequently apply Sharpie for months before it started to smooth out. I was just pointing out that the Sharpie thing can keep the knife usable during the (perhaps fairly long) period it takes the lock to wear in.

Show me an equal quality knife with Better fit and finish and opens as fast as the Emerson for the same price point.

Spyderco Endura Wave.
It's cheaper, and the wave feature works better.
It waves better than my CQC-12 by far.

Yeah, no doubt it sticks pretty badly. I've had a knife or two -- my Bradley Alias I comes to mind -- to which I had to frequently apply Sharpie for months before it started to smooth out. I was just pointing out that the Sharpie thing can keep the knife usable during the (perhaps fairly long) period it takes the lock to wear in.

When I got my first Emerson, I mentioned the stickyness of the liner lock here on BF and Dirk chimmed in to have me try pencil lead on the knife tang. It worked real well in case anyone here has yet to try it.

Spyderco Endura Wave.
It's cheaper, and the wave feature works better.
It waves better than my CQC-12 by far.

I have one and I think we can have a short discussion about this:

g10 over steel and titanium = FRN? NOPE
titanium Liner lock = steel lockback? NOPE
154CM = VG10? Ok I'll give you this one.
Wave works better? No way. The wave is too far away from the fulcrum.

Wave works better? No way. The wave is too far away from the fulcrum.
Too bad you're entirely wrong on this one.
So wrong it's actually quite amusing.:)
I still own an Emerson CQC-12 and a Combat Karambit.
I have owned the Bullnose Karambit, another CQC-12, and the Super Karambit.
The Endura waves the most effectively.
It also opens beer bottles better.
Spyderco for the win.

P.S.-what Emerson has going for it is ergonomics and interesting designs. It's difficult to find a better production folding Karambit for instance, although a solid backspacer for the retention ring would improve it by far, and eliminate the main complaint that people have about it.

I also do not understand Emerson's refusal to produce more frame-locks when his customers keep asking for them and are willing to pay the price. I'd really like a frame-locked Super Karambit...although I'd like it better without the wave, actually.

Last edited:
Too bad you're entirely wrong on this one.
So wrong it's actually quite amusing.:)
I still own an Emerson CQC-12 and a Combat Karambit.
I have owned the Bullnose Karambit, another CQC-12, and the Super Karambit.
The Endura waves the most effectively.
It also opens beer bottles better.
Spyderco for the win.

P.S.-what Emerson has going for it is ergonomics and interesting designs. It's difficult to find a better production folding Karambit for instance, although a solid backspacer for the retention ring would improve it by far, and eliminate the main complaint that people have about it.

Ok your right! Spyderco wins when it uses Emersons Patent! WOO HOO!

They give Emerson the credit.:)
They just optimized the feature, at least on the Delica and the Endura.
The P'kal wave was also okay, but certainly not better than the Emersons with a hole opener. I don't like the positioning of the thumb disk on most Emersons in relation to the wave.

I think what bugs most people is the lack of response to customer demand. It's like the Soup Nazi; "You get what I give you!"

As stabman accurately pointed out, Spyderco pays Emerson for the right to use that feature. In the likely event that you missed it, the Emerson patent numbers are printed on the right side of the blade on the Endura/Delica waves. Keep on swinging for the fences.

Ease it up, you're not even 30 posts in and already making a jerk out of yourself.

As for the OP. I've only owned a CQC-13; I loved the blade shape and the handle ergonomics were fantastic. I liked the wave a lot too, came sharp as hell. Liners weren't finished so I sanded them down to my liking. Then I realized it had the most RIDICULOUS amount of blade play I've ever seen on a knife. I could hold the knife in my hand and give it a light shaking and your could hear the blade rattle against the lockbar. Aside from that, I could see the machining marks under the coating which I thought was odd. Needless to say, I got rid of it.

I just purchased a cold steel recon 1 off amazon for 60 bucks and wow, they aren't kidding about this thing. Actually reminds me off the CQC-13 a bit. Perfect lockup, strongest lock out there, awesome blade shape and handle ergos. I stripped the coating and now its perfect. I'd recommend one of the Recon 1's, Ak-47s or American lawman over an Emerson if you're looking for "hard use tactical". This is coming from a person who hates Cold Steel as a company, but is starting to like their knives.

In the likely event that you missed it, the Emerson patent numbers are printed on the right side of the blade on the Endura/Delica waves.

I am aware of the deal between them on those models. However, I was just making a joke, When I asked for someone to show me a knife that was equal quality and opened as fast for the same price point, the only knife offered as a comparison is another Emerson design.

I am aware of the deal between them on those models. However, I was just making a joke, When I asked for someone to show me a knife that was equal quality and opened as fast for the same price point, the only knife offered as a comparison is another Emerson design.

I think that the designs have been acknowledged to be good. The complaints are about the other aspects of the knife. Please re-read the posts.

Like any other knife, factory or custom, its all subjective. If you're not sure you're going to like it and you're living some place where you can't easily sell it or send it back, my advice is to look for something else. Do I feel you might be missing out, sure, but if the $130 to $240 is too much for you to take a chance with, don't. I've owned a custom CQC-10 and 11 and loved them but had to end up selling them. I currently rotate a factory Commander and Horseman and have no complaints about them. I'm not a fanboy of any knife or knife company and while I have some major dislikes re: makers, companies, knife designs, etc. I generally keep them to myself. Usually the most I'll say is that I don't particularly care for something along with a specific feature/problem but that you need to try it our for yourself. Life is all about finding out what works for you and if no one else agrees, tough...

I bought both the Benchmade CQC-7 and the Emerson CQC-7 A when each first hit the market. I was in my late teens/ early twenties. I was into the tacticool phase like most knife newbies at the time. I still wish I had the BM for collector reasons (was stolen). I liked the BM model alot better, it seemed to have thicker liners and a better lock-up than the Emerson. They only upgrade on the Emerson was the rounded off edges of the G-10. Other than that the stop-bar rattled bad, and if I tightened the pivot it was PITA to open. The chisel grind served no purpose for me as I'm not an LEO or operative and I have plenty of time to properly sharpen both sides of a knife. I can say though I like the thumb disk vs. thumb studs (Spyderhole rocks though!). Years ago I finally sold off the Emerson as it sat in a drawer.

I still want to like Emerson's, but until they change their bevel grind and use thicker liners (or like others have said, make a line of framelocks), I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on them again.

I won't buy into Emerson until something changes. Too many caveats have been reported, and continue to be reported.

Plus the company attitude is offputting. Emerson seems awfully convinced that his knives are the be all end all, despite a plethora of evidence to the contrary.

This sums it up very well. Thanks for the replies, obviously nothings changed and EKI is still putting out crap.

Back