How are Emerson Knives

I think it's funny. The Question was "How are Emerson knives"

Compared to who?

Show me an equal quality knife with Better fit and finish and opens as fast as the Emerson for the same price point.

Thats not a bad one. Onlt took 18 hours for someone to come up with a knife that needed to be ghetto modified to fit the description I outlined. Oh and the Mantix never had a lock problem....lol

You don't seem to have much experience with knives.

Benchmade 760 $175.00
Bradley Alias 1 $200.00
Combative Edge M1 $170.00
Spyderco titanium Military $200.00
Kershaw Tyrade $190.00
Zero Tolerance 0550 $200.00
Zero Tolerance 0300 series $205.00

Those are only titanium framelocks. I can name countless of non ti framelock knives that I still find to be superior to Emerson in terms of better f&f and locking mechanisms. Some of them even with better blade steel and cheaper or around the same price point as an Emerson.

...the so call "loose tolerance" (big gaps in pivot, rough machining) is made so on purpose so the knife can withstand harsh elements like sand, tiny rocks, dust, pocket lint, etc.

This is absolutely correct. This is the very reason why Glocks are one of the most reliable pistols produced.
Loose tolerances, although unsightly, are not automatically the result of poor workmanship.

You are absolutely accurate in that statement. I like the idea of a flat head pivot screw, but every time I would adjust the screw, the driver would always go flying off of the teflon coated slot into the poor g-10.

Is this the fault of the screw, or the guy with the screwdriver?
This is the equivalent of blaming iron sights for being unable to put rounds in the ten ring, and advocating a scope is the only way to go.

I'm getting real sick of people saying Emersons are hard use tools. That does not excuse them from making poor f&f.

How does your dislike for poor fit and finish disqualify them as "hard use tools?"

All high quality knives are hard use tools...

This is false! High quality does not automatically equate to tough.

This is absolutely correct. This is the very reason why Glocks are one of the most reliable pistols produced.

This works for Glocks, not Emersons.
Listen up:
-rough edged liners do NOTHING to enhance (or hinder) function.
-there is no "gap" around the pivot of an Emerson knife. Some people leave their pivot loose, but all that does is create blade play AND let in dirt and sand, which hinders function. Keeping the pivot tight is correct on folding knives.

How does your dislike for poor fit and finish disqualify them as "hard use tools?"

This is false! High quality does not automatically equate to tough.

I did not disqualify them as hard use tools. My point was that any knife can be used as a hard use tool and the fact that Emerson claims his knives are meant to be hard use tools does not excuse the company from selling knives with a poor fit and finish for ridiculous prices while there are many other knives with stronger locking mechanisms and better f&f out there for cheaper or the same price as an Emerson.

Also, it is not false at all. A knife is a tool meant for cutting. An Emerson is a knife, I am not going to say they are low quality because they're not. However I will say that just about any other folder from a reputable brand with a locking mechanism can do the same as an Emerson. Just like a $30.00 Spyderco Tenacious can cut the same things a $400.00 Sebenza can. You people act as if Emerson knives are made to pry the lids off of tanks and cut through steel doors or something. My Ontario Rat 1 (which I find to have a better fit than my Emersons) can cut the same things as any other Emerson can.

This works for Glocks, not Emersons.
Listen up:
-rough edged liners do NOTHING to enhance (or hinder) function.
-there is no "gap" around the pivot of an Emerson knife. Some people leave their pivot loose, but all that does is create blade play AND let in dirt and sand, which hinders function. Keeping the pivot tight is correct on folding knives.

I completely agree with you when it comes to rough edges.

As far as tolerances are concerned, smaller tolerances equate to smaller contaminating particulates being able to hinder operation.

There are "gaps" in every pivot; or it would not be a pivot. Not being able to see clean through it with the naked eye does not mean no "gap."

There are "gaps" in every pivot; or it would not be a pivot. Not being able to see clean through it with the naked eye does not mean no "gap."

Gaps in that sense sure.:)
The tolerances aren't looser on Emersons in that regard though. They are on a par with just about every other folding knife I own.

Whatever, though. This debate is pointless and stupid. Emersons are cool looking knives and as others have said it before "If you like it buy it, if you don't then don't buy it." Besides, either way I am still going to buy a CQC-15 as soon as I see one because I love its design. The Emersons I've had were very old models. Perhaps Emerson has upped their QC these past few years??

You don't seem to have much experience with knives.

Benchmade 760 $175.00
Bradley Alias 1 $200.00
Combative Edge M1 $170.00
Spyderco titanium Military $200.00
Kershaw Tyrade $190.00
Zero Tolerance 0550 $200.00
Zero Tolerance 0300 series $205.00

Those are only titanium framelocks. I can name countless of non ti framelock knives that I still find to be superior to Emerson in terms of better f&f and locking mechanisms. Some of them even with better blade steel and cheaper or around the same price point as an Emerson.

You don't seem to have much experience with reading comprehension.

Let me help you out with why none of the above knives meet the criteria.

Show me an equal quality knife with Better fit and finish and opens as fast as the Emerson for the same price point.

Some people like the rough look of rustic furniture:
chair_campcreek.jpg

I prefer a more finished and comfortable construction:
Lazy-Boy-Furniture-3.jpg

The same goes for knives. :D

As for the strength of fasteners, I think that Microtech has some of the best, although you do need a special tool.
attachment.php

You don't seem to have much experience with reading comprehension.

Let me help you out with why none of the above knives meet the criteria.

If you are talking about the wave system:
Cold Steel AK-47
Cold Steel Espada series
Cold Steel Spartan
Fox Knives Col. Moschin Delta Spec Ops

(Allow me to add that the Cold Steels are indeed tougher knives than the Emersons and for about $140.00 less.)

There aren't many knives out there with the wave. However all of the knives I mentioned in my previous comment can be opened as fast as a switchblade with some practice. Also, remember that the wave is not 100% reliable in a fast draw. There will be times where you will miss it while trying to quick draw it.

I just carry an automatic and wear breakaway pants, I'm the quickest draw and quickest indecent exposure ticket in the midwest!:eek:

Give me a good ball bearing flipper any day over a waved knife. Those waves are really hard on pants pockets.

If you are talking about the wave system:
Cold Steel AK-47
Cold Steel Espada series
Cold Steel Spartan
Fox Knives Col. Moschin Delta Spec Ops

(Allow me to add that the Cold Steels are indeed tougher knives than the Emersons and for about $140.00 less.)

There aren't many knives out there with the wave. However all of the knives I mentioned in my previous comment can be opened as fast as a switchblade with some practice. Also, remember that the wave is not 100% reliable in a fast draw. There will be times where you will miss it while trying to quick draw it.

Ok the Col. Moschin - This one is I would say a winner and I think its a great knife. Unfortunately there are not many different models.

The other knives you mentioned are no doubt great blades but yes they are missing the wave. Your exactly right, there are times when you miss the wave or if you are up against a wall its tricky. But there are also times when you can miss the button on an auto or the thumb stud on a folder. We understand Gross motor skills, trained fine motor skills, muscle memory and everything else. The Moschin as well as the other waved knives offer both ways and the wave is by far the fastest when it works. It is also the easiest to do with gloves on and with frozen hands.

Kershaw makes a lot of assisted opening flippers, that are easy to open under stress, because all you need to do is slightly flick the flipper and pow they are open. Fit and finish is good and the price is, too.

Back