How are Emerson Knives

Kershaw makes a lot of assisted opening flippers, that are easy to open under stress, because all you need to do is slightly flick the flipper and pow they are open. Fit and finish is good and the price is, too.

Yep, best bargain out there in can't-help-but-open flippers is the Kershaw RAM 1910. It's a great bargain at around $50 for a blemish version. I can't say enough good things about the RAM. I probably have 10 of them. LOL!

Kershaw makes a lot of assisted opening flippers, that are easy to open under stress, because all you need to do is slightly flick the flipper and pow they are open. Fit and finish is good and the price is, too.

I am not arguing that they are easy to open. I just dont think they are easier than the waved knives. You still need to remove the kershaw from the pocket then hit the flipper. On a waved knife you just remove the knife from the pocket and dont need to find a little lever to push. This is the same reason that most LE agencies are going with firearms that don't have manual safety switches. Under stress its just one more thing that can go wrong.

I can open any Spyderco Military with or without gloves, in heat, cold or cramped conditions, under stress or sitting around playing with that big round opening hole, and the time difference between a hot auto, a wave, and these Militaries is negligible.

Technique trumps technology.

I am continually disappointed in the pettiness that some of our members find sufficient cause for insulting each other. Celebrate your triumphs, enjoy your knives, let others do the same. Put-downs are out of place here.

I for one don't care for any sort of waved knife. I would rather have more control over the opening, than having it pop out of my pocket with the blade opening while catching on the pocket edge. I'd rather have a decent grip on the handle before it starts to open. But, if you like the waved and the Emerson modes, more power to you, enjoy them!

I can open any Spyderco Military with or without gloves, in heat, cold or cramped conditions, under stress or sitting around playing with that big round opening hole, and the time difference between a hot auto, a wave, and these Militaries is negligible.

Technique trumps technology.

I am continually disappointed in the pettiness that some of our members find sufficient cause for insulting each other. Celebrate your triumphs, enjoy your knives, let others do the same. Put-downs are out of place here.

Very true Esav. This thread could use some pictures too:
imag0061p.jpg

imag0081z.jpg

imag0082w.jpg

Thats not a bad one. Onlt took 18 hours for someone to come up with a knife that needed to be ghetto modified to fit the description I outlined. Oh and the Mantix never had a lock problem....lol

And yet this thread has been up for two days without anyone presenting a half decent reason why anyone could be deluded enough to think that Emersons are good quality knives for the price. Hmmmmmm... :rolleyes:

Oh, and I thought of some more knives that open as quickly as any Emerson:

- Every knife to ever feature a thumbhole.

Now every mall ninja with delusions of 'Showing your knife to an enemy' can have access to the mystical magical wave feature and not have to pay hundreds of dollars for an Emerson! Oh boy! ;)

And yet this thread has been up for two days without anyone presenting a half decent reason why anyone could be deluded enough to think that Emersons are good quality knives for the price. Hmmmmmm... :rolleyes:

Oh, and I thought of some more knives that open as quickly as any Emerson:

- Every knife to ever feature a thumbhole.

Now every mall ninja with delusions of 'Showing your knife to an enemy' can have access to the mystical magical wave feature and not have to pay hundreds of dollars for an Emerson! Oh boy! ;)

Wow ...

I just got a CQC8 in the mail so I'll give my initial impressions of the knife. No gaps found between scales and liners. It came very sharp. Blade grinds are even. This knife will need a break in period, the action is rough. It has early lockup. The only clip position is right side tip up. Overall, I like the knife. Is it worth what I paid? Take off about 40 bucks and I'd say yes.

nightman, grease the pivot before working the action and it will break in pretty quickly.

Esav, the Nylatron washers are self lubricating. My advice would be to wash the knife in warm soapy water, rinse with clean cold water and blast it with canned air to dry.

Well, I guess these 'Bash Emerson' threads pop up what, once a month or so. I have 4 now, none of them new (although the Super Commander I just got looks like new). The first was a CQC-13, beat up to hell, chips in the blade, tip broken, finish all scratched up. Just got it back from EKI, and for my $19 they rebuilt it and resharpened it, including regrinding the tip (yea, it's about 1/8" shorter now). So for under $100 I've got a really great knife that "I" love. I really don't care if you love it, if you hate it, if you think it's garbage ... it's MY knife and I love it! It does what I need it to do ... everytime so far. It's locked up every time I open it and it's cut everything I've needed to cut.

Every Emerson I own works, period. Would a $400 knife with polished Ti liners and/or frame lock work too? Sure it would, if you want to pay for it and risk losing it out of your pocket, hell, go buy 5 of them and I'll be happy for you. While I could afford a $400 pocket knife, I couldn't afford to lose one so it would stay in the safe. I buy knives to use, not to guard my safe. (and yes, I do carry all my Emersons in rotation).

I love how these threads draw ppl with comments like "Well, I read so and so about them" or "Somebody told me that blah, blah, blah about them" and then it's "... but I've never owned one myself", ROTFLMAO Or even better the guy/girl who says something like "Well, I've owned 7 of them and they are all junk!!" How smart do you have to be to stop buying something if you think it's junk?? I mean really?? These aren't cheap knives, and you bought 4 or 5 more after the first ones weren't to your liking?? My dad use to say that some people have more money than brains. lolol Then there's the "I never saw much use for the yadda, yadda feature" or the "They put the chisel grind on the wrong side!!" Once again, why would you buy something that has features you don't like?? Kinda like spending $35k on a new pickup after b***hing about that stupid, empty, rectangular box behind the cab.

As to ".. show to your enemies" ... well, yea I have, twice in the last year and I thank God that all I had to do was show it. Would a different knife have made the other guy change his plans? Maybe. I will tell you that the solid 'thunk' as my CQC-11 waved open sure got their attention. Kinda makes me think about the idea that the sound of racking a pump shotgun has a deterrent effect.

So as to 'How are Emerson Knives?' I like the ones I've got and the ones I've handled. Solid. Dependable. Sharp. A bit pricey. I like them. Does everyone like them, no. Then again, I'm not real fond of Spydercos. Good knives no doubt, they just don't feel right in my hand. Do I feel the need to troll the Spydie forum to bash them, not really.

Find someone who has one or two current model Emersons or go to a stocking dealer and handle them yourself. If you don't like them, here's a tip, don't buy them. Pretty simply if ya think about it.

Just my 2 cent's worth and you know ya usually get what you pay for.
Jester

I've had a few Emersons, still have most of them. Traded off a La Griffe and a Commander, but replaced them since. The only problem I ever had was one Commander with a REALLY stiff lock up, not sticky, STIFF. It loosened up. My CQC-12 unlocks a little too easily for my liking, but not dangerously so. Beautiful knives, all of them. Never paid retail, either. Geeze, we're knife hobbyists, we should know where to go for a good deal.

I really wanted to try a Horseman out. I was at the NRA show in Pittsburgh this year and checked out a few Emersons. I was not impressed with them at all. Of the two Horsemen I looked at, one barely engaged the liner lock and the other was terribly gritty. I really like the way they feel in my hand but was seriously disappointed in the overall quality. They're just not my cup of tea I guess.

I really wanted to try a Horseman out. I was at the NRA show in Pittsburgh this year and checked out a few Emersons. I was not impressed with them at all. Of the two Horsemen I looked at, one barely engaged the liner lock and the other was terribly gritty. I really like the way they feel in my hand but was seriously disappointed in the overall quality. They're just not my cup of tea I guess.

That's really amazing and frankly, I find it hard to believe!! Not that the two knives that you looked at weren't your cup of tea, I totally believe that. What I can't believe is that the salesperson didn't hold you at gunpoint and force you to buy a knife you didn't like/want. I find it impossible to believe that Mr. Emerson himself didn't jump out from behind the counter with a company of Special Forces and MAKE you buy a knife that you thought wasn't worth the money they were asking!!

I mean, just read some of the posts in this thread or go to the Emerson forum and read some of the posts from there. It seems to me that there is indeed something magical and mystical about Emerson Knives after all ... they have the power to make someone buy them even when that someone doesn't like them, or worse, after that person has already bought several that they didn't like these magical knives make them buy even more of them.

(Sorry Orion's, I couldn't help myself and zero of my post is geared towards you. I hope you found a good deal on a knife you did like. Just FYI, on a new Emerson with the wave, early lockup is probably a good thing as they do wear pretty fast if you wave them alot.)

That's really amazing and frankly, I find it hard to believe!! Not that the two knives that you looked at weren't your cup of tea, I totally believe that. What I can't believe is that the salesperson didn't hold you at gunpoint and force you to buy a knife you didn't like/want. I find it impossible to believe that Mr. Emerson himself didn't jump out from behind the counter with a company of Special Forces and MAKE you buy a knife that you thought wasn't worth the money they were asking!!

I mean, just read some of the posts in this thread or go to the Emerson forum and read some of the posts from there. It seems to me that there is indeed something magical and mystical about Emerson Knives after all ... they have the power to make someone buy them even when that someone doesn't like them, or worse, after that person has already bought several that they didn't like these magical knives make them buy even more of them.

(Sorry Orion's, I couldn't help myself and zero of my post is geared towards you. I hope you found a good deal on a knife you did like. Just FYI, on a new Emerson with the wave, early lockup is probably a good thing as they do wear pretty fast if you wave them alot.)

I do understand that early lockup is ideal, but the early lockup was REALLY early. The liner literally barely engaged the tang. It looked like it had too large of a stop pin not allowing the liner to engage more.

I only have one Emerson, this CQC-14 and I love it! Emerson will have some customs at the Plaza Cutlery California Custom Knife Show this weekend, cant wait to see them! I have read good things as well as alot of cheap smack talk about Emerson here at the forum and was curious about them so i went to Plaza a couple weeks ago and looked at a few, they were all top quality. Bought this one and learned for myself what was true and what was B.S. I'd bet that some who bad mouth Emerson knives have probably never actually owned or carried one. My next production knife purchase may end up being another Emerson, maybe a Roadhouse.
IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

Here are some comparison shots with another fine knife that is very similar in size, the ZT0350.
IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

Back