How can I fix the detent system in my new knife?

I just ordered a custom knife and I love the way it turned out, but upon receiving the knife I noticed that it didn’t stay closed very well. I took apart the knife and found that the detent hole is massive, while the ball is nearly flush with the liner. What is the best way to fix it?
49804339151_4ea3061e18_o_d.jpg

Honestly?
Send it back to the maker and have him try again. That kind of incompetence should not be tolerated. That's not just shoddy craftsmanship. It's dangerous. That much play while closed will wear down the detent hole or ball. sooner or later the tip will get exposed and cause some damage. I would think a second detent ball might work, but have the maker do it.

Heya,

Nice looking Damascus pattern. If sending the knife back isn’t an option, here’s what you could try:
Grab a 1/16” drill bit and hold it over the current ball to get a sense if the current one is that size or smaller. The idea is to file flat (carefully) the ball, center punch it, and drill it out. Then figure out how big you can make the new ball based on how much room you have on the lockbar. You don’t want to leave thin walls. After you decide what size hole you want to make, be sure you can order a ball bearing of the same diameter. Then drill your hole so that the ball bearing sits slightly more than half-way down into the hole. Once seated, use the punch again to swedge the ball bearing into the hole. One dimple should do. (Look up installing a buffer tube in an AR-15 for an example of what I’m talking about). Last but not least if the hole is still too large and you have lots of play with a closed blade, you could try adding weld (solder??) to the hole and making a new, smaller detent. Good luck and post pics!

Not knocking you, but man that is a rough looking liner.

If your maker stands by his work (as he should) you need to hit him up and have him correct this issue.

That's gonna end up biting you sooner rather than later.

When you receive a custom knife and find a problem, the initial action that should be taken is to contact the maker about it. The maker should have you send it back for repair. When it comes back, the problem should be remedied.

As I said in another thread, handmade knife doesn't automatically excuse maker from poor fit and finish. Especially when we call something 'custom', I think most would assume it means special attention to detail and/or superior workmanship than average mass production knife. I too agree with many others, do contact the maker and send it back, it's only fair.

Heya,

Nice looking Damascus pattern. If sending the knife back isn’t an option, here’s what you could try:
Grab a 1/16” drill bit and hold it over the current ball to get a sense if the current one is that size or smaller. The idea is to file flat (carefully) the ball, center punch it, and drill it out. Then figure out how big you can make the new ball based on how much room you have on the lockbar. You don’t want to leave thin walls. After you decide what size hole you want to make, be sure you can order a ball bearing of the same diameter. Then drill your hole so that the ball bearing sits slightly more than half-way down into the hole. Once seated, use the punch again to swedge the ball bearing into the hole. One dimple should do. (Look up installing a buffer tube in an AR-15 for an example of what I’m talking about). Last but not least if the hole is still too large and you have lots of play with a closed blade, you could try adding weld (solder??) to the hole and making a new, smaller detent. Good luck and post pics!
If I were to purchase a $20 DIY knife kit, then yes, it sounds like a really fun project to do. But personally, I would not expect this kind of work involved when ordering a 'custom'.

Holly crap... I wouldn't call that knife custom... special, maybe. But as in Special Education. There isn't a single crisp line in the profile of that blade.

Seriously, send it back.

Last edited:
Also, the OP appears to be 14 based on his profile. So I'm guessing this isn't a top tier custom knife...

First time I've heard "crips line". Is that like swedge, taper, grind, etc?

My bad, I meant CRISP LINE (editted).

For me it means that a straight line needs to be straight, a radius contour shuold have a uniform radius, the transition from flat on the edges of the profile (non beveled areas) should be sharp or at least uniformely chamfered, etc...

I just ordered a custom knife and I love the way it turned out, but upon receiving the knife I noticed that it didn’t stay closed very well. I took apart the knife and found that the detent hole is massive, while the ball is nearly flush with the liner. What is the best way to fix it?
49804339151_4ea3061e18_o_d.jpg
Just to clarify, I got this from a solo Etsy seller who doesn’t even make the handles. I wasn’t expecting it to be nice, I just wanted a knife that suits my needs and isn’t $200.

Just to clarify, I got this from a solo Etsy seller who doesn’t even make the handles. I wasn’t expecting it to be nice, I just wanted a knife that suits my needs and isn’t $200.

You got a bad knife. Let the seller know that you are dissatisfied and ask to return it. The knife, as is, is dangerous and should not be used. The only way to fix this is to re-manufacture part of the knife and you do not have the tools or skills to do so.

n2s

You could find plenty of knives out there that I'm positive will suit your needs and won't cost $200...with handles!

Afraid to ask but how much was that? The lower end 'custom knife' Damasteel blades tend to be only for looks and don't hold an edge better than a spoon.
Check out civivi knives, they have some quality budget damasteel and multiple designs < $100

Back