How can I fix the detent system in my new knife?

Ok, I'm not trying to be negative here, but are you sure they actually made the blade? It sort of looks like a Pakistani damascus blade. What seller did you buy it from?
I got it from MikesDamascus on Etsy, he custom makes the blades and sends updates with pictures as it’s made.

I am confused. Is this a NEW directly from the custom maker or has it been through some middle man/men? It looks to me like a well-used one.

A detent hole larger than the detent ball does not automatically result in detent rock. OP - what do you mean by it does not stay closed well. Does the knife has lock rock when the blade is in fully closed position?

I would return the knife, and get a Spyderco or WE, for the price of this “custom” you can get great F&F from a production model

I am confused. Is this a NEW directly from the custom maker or has it been through some middle man/men? It looks to me like a well-used one.

A detent hole larger than the detent ball does not automatically result in detent rock. OP - what do you mean by it does not stay closed well. Does the knife has lock rock when the blade is in fully closed position?
It doesn’t stay closed when the knife is moving. If it is shaken or jostled then it partially opens.

I found the seller and the knife the OP bought. Looks like the seller uses kits for the knife handles. I'm not entirely convinced he actually makes the blades. Maybe he does.

For $73 you can get a nice knife with a warranty.

OK - not that I'd buy the knife or sing praises for the maker, but to me $73 does not seem to be a ridiculous price.

OP - my question was: while the detent ball still sits inside the detent hole, does the blade move if you shake the knife? If yes, it has detent lock and indeed the large detent hole is a problem. If not, then your knife has weak detent, which usually can be resolved or at least improved by bending the lockbar inward.

OK - not that I'd buy the knife or sing praises for the maker, but to me $73 does not seem to be a ridiculous price.

OP - my question was: while the detent ball still sits inside the detent hole, does the blade move if you shake the knife? If yes, it has detent lock and indeed the large detent hole is a problem. If not, then your knife has weak detent, which usually can be resolved or at least improved by bending the lockbar inward.
There is definitely movement

If you want budget damascus I would recommend a Civivi they have sub $100 options including some around the $75 mark using chinese stainless damascus which appears to get decent reviews.

I found the seller and the knife the OP bought. Looks like the seller uses kits for the knife handles. I'm not entirely convinced he actually makes the blades. Maybe he does.

Totally. That thing looks fresh out of the truck stop.

to me $73 does not seem to be a ridiculous price.
For a knife that doesn't work it is.

There's plenty of nice knives for $75 and less. Good quality, materials and workmanship. That isn't 1 of them- That's a plastic washer?

It's not worth $73 and the guy doesn't make the blades. I'm reminded of the "Custom Damascus" knife makers at the Gun Shows.

If you look on eBay you over paid by 50%.

I looked too... there is even a pic of him beating metal.. must be legit!
If he buys a sheet of stuff and cuts blades out i guess he is making something... He lists the steel used but nothing about heat treat which seems very suspect for a 'custom maker'

First off ... welcome to the forums.

I don't like to see people jump on someone new to knives or our forum ... and a young person at that. We were all new to knives and this forum at some point.

Without judgment ... it looks to be a very poorly made knife. Even the damacus looks to be of poor quality. To fix it you would put more into it then it's worth. I recommend you return it for a refund if possible and take it as a learning experience.

Now about a knife that will suit your needs ... I don't know exactly what your uses are or will be ... but a few brands named make good knives and aren't crazy expensive.

Spyderco has many different models and probably something that would fit your needs ... and they are a top notch company.

If you want a less expensive option Kershaw makes good quality knives and has several models to choose from. They won't all be made with the same steels as Spyderco or knives that cost a bit more ... but many people love Kershaws.

If you go to some of the reputable online dealers you can search for specific knife types and see what they offer that might fit your needs. Or list out here what you use your knife for and a budget you have in mind and many members will try to suggest something that will fill your needs.

Back