How come there's no SOG club? The other brands have clubs..

Hi all..

How come there's no SOG knives club, I've noticed the other knife-brands have 'clubs' on here. Like the Beckerheads, & I believe Busse & Swamprat
have one too. I was just wondering. I've also noticed that the other knife-brand forums have much, much more activity. I don't understand why.
Bah! Be hard of think of one for SOG anyway. SOG's Dogs? Well, I like their
knives & this forum. Shame there so little activity lately.. Ah..well..what do I
know? I'm just a tired old fart.. Their customer-service is good & I even got a
prompt call-back about the Super-Bowie.. I thought that was pretty good.
I my opinion, good customer-service is just as important as the products themselves, & SOG has good customer-service! I like em'!

Bored-2-Deth..(Ugh..I'm getting old..I feel like an old fart!..oh wait..I AM an
old fart..)

Well, B2D, you took the first step to improving the SOG forum by actually posting something! I agree that there should be more activity here and that SOG is an excellent brand and company.:thumbup:

Speaking of, I just ordered my Super SOG Bowie and it did not come with the promised 20th anniversary markings for 2011. Does anyone know how to get these new Super Bowies and where or are SOG still simply getting rid of old "new" stock??

They only came with the 20th Anniversary markings in 2006 when we had our 20th Anniversary. This year 2011 is our 25th Anniversary.

How come there's no SOG knives club,

That is an interesting question.

Could be because SOGs are less a collector item and more just a using item. Though I would imagine there's a fair collector base in the fixed blades.
Nor does SOG really produce a great deal directed specifically at the "collector" market.

May just be the users of SOG folders are just not as fanatical about the brand. I'm kinda that way. I've got quite a few SOG folders and reasonably happy with them, but I don't tend be as interested in whats new from SOG as say Spyderco.

There seems to be a great deal of anti-SOG sentiment....guess that could be a factor.

Maybe you can start a movement! :D

Start a movement? Ummm..maybe.. Yeah..ok.. Um..I'll start a group of SOG fans called,
"SOG's Dogs" (SOG's Dogs was my idea, so I'm club-president or chairman or whatever..
lol..:D)

Apply here for membership

CEO & President Bored-2-Deth presiding *taps gavel* Order! Order! To join you must own
atleast one SOG Knife. (No Fusions! :D) Bonus points for Bowies. LoL! Apply here! Apply now! Show love for good knives & tools! :D You must present one photo of a good SOG
knife (or multi-tool) (Mine's in the mail so :p n' it was my idea so I don't have to post a photo :p)

Bored-2-Deth

(Not affiliated with SOG company in any way, just a small, loyal fan-base :) All manufacturers need one :D )

I'm just an old fart..

...There seems to be a great deal of anti-SOG sentiment....guess that could be a factor.

Maybe you can start a movement! :D

I think that many SOG haters are either steel snobs or have never really used their knives. Much like the case of Cold Steel, many 'fans' are hesitant to post, because of the possible flak they open themselves up to.

I am enjoying my SOG knives on many levels and will be adding many more to my 'armory'. I hope that more people discover the solid value that SOG represents. :thumbup:

I am a fan. I own more SOGs than any other brand. I even have a cool black t-shirt with two fixed blade knives crossing. What does a SOG DOG look like? Will beginning members be considered pup elites?

I think that many SOG haters are either steel snobs or have never really used their knives.

I love several of my SOG's, and I still have a few on the wish list (albeit mostly old-school designs). But SOG has some problems, which as I see it are:
1. Overpriced from a materials standpoint. AUS-8 and Zytel for the same price you can get better steel and G10 elsewhere.
2. A design department that took a turn into the Batcave a few years back.
3. A warranty department that functions on "loss prevention" principles rather than "customer service". Other companies default to sending you a new knife. SOG views that as the last, last resort.

You must present one photo of a good SOG

I'd suggest leaving that out. Not all of us have decent closeup cameras (well, I do but they are film cameras...remember film?).
Unless a pic of any SOG from any source will do. :D

Maybe require a list of SOGs owned instead?

Much like the case of Cold Steel, many 'fans' are hesitant to post, because of the possible flak they open themselves up to.

Thats the main part of what I was thinking. Though in the case of CS I think most of the negatives relate to how people feel about LT rather than the knives.
SOG has R. Lee Emery, and who doesn't love The Gunny? ;)

What does a SOG DOG look like? Will beginning members be considered pup elites?

Definintely need a graphic drawing (by someone with some artistics skill, which aint me) or maybe a photshoped image....a bulldog with Gunnys face on it? :D

Usually if you get in on the ground floor you are a founding member and then get to inflict lower status labels on new members.:cool:

1. Overpriced from a materials standpoint. AUS-8 and Zytel for the same price you can get better steel and G10 elsewhere.

I see that complaint quite often and never really got it. Seems mostly directed at the folders, most find the price of the fixed blades reasonable.
Guess it depends on what you pay. I've bought almost all of mine at fairly hefty deep discount, so the price seemed reasonable.

I think that many SOG haters are either steel snobs or have never really used their knives. Much like the case of Cold Steel, many 'fans' are hesitant to post, because of the possible flak they open themselves up to.

I am enjoying my SOG knives on many levels and will be adding many more to my 'armory'. I hope that more people discover the solid value that SOG represents. :thumbup:

I'm a big cold steel fan and not at all a fan of sog.
I feel like sog prices their blades like they are benchmade or high quality spydercos

Start a movement? Ummm..maybe.. Yeah..ok.. Um..I'll start a group of SOG fans called,
"SOG's Dogs" (SOG's Dogs was my idea, so I'm club-president or chairman or whatever..
lol..:D)

QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong. But shouldn't we ask Gunny to be club-president?

I'm a big cold steel fan and not at all a fan of sog.
I feel like sog prices their blades like they are benchmade or high quality spydercos

I am a Cold Steel fan as well. I have a drawer full of Voyagers. :thumbup:

I think that SOG pricing is fair, compared to other manufacturers. I have a beautifully made, san mai VG-10 Vulcan Tanto, with full steel liners under Zytel scales and it cost me not much more than one of my Benchmade Grips with partial steel liners under a Zytel handle. I think that I got a hell of a deal.

So far I am 3 for 3 on my SOG folders. With summer approaching, I'll be trying a SOG fixed blade as well. Hmmm...a Team Leader with 20CV would look good on my belt. ;)

Hi all,

Yeah, Alann45, a list of Sog knives that a person owns will do :D. I don't have a cam either. New members start as pups & work their way up to Elite status. LoL! Ask Gunny
to be president? It was MY idea :D...besides, isn't he the spokesperson for the company?
He's also a celebrity. As far as what a Sog-Dog would look like? Um..I picture a big ol' muscle-bound rottweiler with ops blades for teeth..*evil laugh* Hehehe.. (Besides, I can't start an official club just a unofficial fan-club :D)

B2D

Hi all,

Yeah, Alann45, a list of Sog knives that a person owns will do :D. I don't have a cam either. New members start as pups & work their way up to Elite status. LoL! Ask Gunny
to be president? It was MY idea :D...besides, isn't he the spokesperson for the company?
He's also a celebrity. As far as what a Sog-Dog would look like? Um..I picture a big ol' muscle-bound rottweiler with ops blades for teeth..*evil laugh* Hehehe.. (Besides, I can't start an official club just a unofficial fan-club :D)

B2D

I'm sure Gunny would be happy to be involved....IF you pay him. :D

I was thinking bulldog (Georgians love bulldogs yanno, though I prefer yellow jackets ;)), but a nice rotty will do fine...and they don't slobber as much. :D

Yellow jackets huh? Some attacked me in the woods a year-or-so-ago..
Me & my buddy were scouting in the Smokey Mtns--WAY up there. I stepped in bear doodie..he laughed at me..then the yellow-jackets, which were investigating the doodie-di-doo, took an interest in us. :D. Morale of the story..go scouting with someone you can outrun!! Ahahaha..205 lb power-lifter vs old fat guy! Ahahahaha.. Then again..yellow-jackets seem to like bear doodie..they did NOT like me..they just like the doodie.. It sucks to be
the old fart..

(I can say though, that he'd been eating acorns & bear-corn..stupid bear)

B2D..

SOG DOG 1 (Super Bowie)

Yellow jackets huh? Some attacked me in the woods a year-or-so-ago..
Me & my buddy were scouting in the Smokey Mtns--WAY up there. I stepped in bear doodie..he laughed at me..then the yellow-jackets, which were investigating the doodie-di-doo, took an interest in us. :D. Morale of the story..go scouting with someone you can outrun!!

My reference was primarily a Georgia thing. U. of Ga. is the Bulldogs, Ga. Tech the Yellow Jackets.

Yellow jackets are tenacious little guys and very curious; they often do appear to chase you. I learned several years ago that they determine where they are in the air by their distance from the object(s) they are focusing on. If it happens to be you and you move away, they seem to follow...what's actually happening is they are maintaining the same distance...you're moving, but to them they are just maintaining position. (Disclamier: this is generally true, but I take no responsibility if you run into a more aggressive group who don't know how to act).
Hornets, on the other hand, are just plain mean and way too territorial. If they perceive an offense they will hunt you down like a dog after a t-bone.

:D Oh I know. I just thought it was funny. Thought it'd give you guys a giggle, imagining an old fat guy like me running through the woods, with P-O-
ed stingers are him. That..& the bear poop. :D Oh..I got stung alright..I got
stung good...

B2D

Btw--I've always thought yellow-jackets were pretty (even though they sting the snot outta me) I have a thing for black/yellow color combos :D

B2D

SOG DOG 1

Back