How Did Benchmade Wind Up Licensing the "HOLE" for the AFCK!

Sal:
I love my AFCK and I love all my Spydecos. How exactly did BM wind up using the Spyderco "hole" on it's AFCK! Do you think Benchmade could return the favor and let you guys license the "AXIS LOCK" ! I'd love to get an Axis Military! Thanks, JEFF

Now that would be Waaaaaaaaayyyyy Cool! But actually the design for the Axis lock is not Benchmade's. It is a Mchenry and Williams design which was licensed to Benchmade.
axispatent.gif

The patent is held by the makers but maybe Benchamde could sub license it out if the patent holders aprove. However I doubt this would happen but it would be really neat to see.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Lester and I go back a long way. Pre Clipt days when I was peddling his bali-songs with my sharpeners. While growing up Benchmade, he was trying to get a variety of opening methods and the hole was another offering.

We've since decided not to license any additional companies on the round hole, but we do have some patents on some other identifyable hole shapes.

We've not discussed the Axis lock with Benchmade. We are curretnly working with Bob Taylor on the Rolling Lock. I believe they are both excellent locks. Like any lock, they must be made "right" to be effective. Could you handle the Military with a Rolling lock?

sal

A knife with a 440V blade, good edge geometry, and ergonomics, coupled with a lock that you can actually place some trust in? Hey, count me in
smile.gif
Sorry Sal, I never pass up the opportunity to do a little gratuitous liner-lock slamming.

Joe

Sal:

It is a wise idea not to license the Spyder hole to too many others. Its like selling your soul (see the Spyder Essence thread). I have one Benchmade in my collection: AFCK. I bought it because of its hole (and clip). AFCK to me is a Spyder knife with a butterfly (rather than the plump spider). Remove the hole from AFCK and see it become just "another" run-of-the-mill liner-lock folder. (O, oh. Am I setting myself up?)

sjc

SJC:

I think it would be more appropriate to say that the AFCK is a Benchmade with a hole, instead of a spyderco with a butterfly like you said. After all, the knife has many more typically Benchmade aspects than spyderco ones-- the Benchmade style clip,the liner lock that is more common to Benchmades,G-10 handle material that is more common to Benchmades, and blades available with the black finish that is also more common to Benchmades than Spydercos. Sure the hole is neat and spydercos are great, but since a disk or thumb stud is just as efficient, the hole is not as important as you make it out to be.

I used to love 'em also, until I started using them hard, and testing them, and talking to other people who used 'em hard. Having encountered failure after failure, and way too many people who needed stitches, I know better now. If you would like to discuss this further, we should probably move it out of the spyderco forum. In an appropriate place, feel free to start up a thread and I'll respond.

Sal: YES! Keep going, and put that last suggestion of yours together with the other foaming-at-the-mouth Military thread running in here: a Military with carbon fiber scales over Ti liners, a Boye dendritic cobalt blade, and a Rolling Lock!

What's the proverbial phrase?

"I'd buy one
smile.gif
"
-- Carl

[This message has been edited by Carl Jacobsen (edited 09 February 1999).]

Dan - No the Rolling Lock is not ambi, but the lock module that we are developing will be, so left handed knives will not be any more dificult to make. We are also planning to make the lock release both scale slide or Bob's original front lever.

Joe - Not all Linerlocks are created equal. I knew a Texan once that was a real A'hole, but I don't place that burden on all Texans. Made well, Linerlocks do an excellent job. They are just far more difficult to build properly that most other locks, but they appear to be simple to build.

Slowjocrow - we agree. We are still licensing custom makers to incorporate the hole into their designs for custom quantities only and not for resale to factories. It also allows us to see some neat new designs.

Spoonslayer - Benchmade has Pardue collaborations, Elishewitz collaborations, just think of the AFCK as a Spyderco collaboration, spiced by; Pardue, Caracci, deAsis, McWillis & Glesser. (also, It is possible to do things with the hole and a tip down carry that you cannot do with a disc or a stud).

Carl - R&D & Mfg agreed to make a batch this afternoon. High buck though? Don't know costs yet, but we're starting off with some pretty exotic stuff to work with. Our first Boye Dendritic Cobalt blades just came back from heat treat this afternoon as well. Hope to have a sample by Blade Show.
sal

Sal, A Military with a Rolling Lock? I'll buy one of those! With a dendritic cobalt blade? Even better! How about adding an exotic coating like tantalum carbide? Damon.

Sal,
Thanks for the great point you made about the linerlocks. You made a great analogy too. Joe and I had a long discussion on this matter in the General Blade Discussion Forum under the topic "Liner locks." If you have time, check it out and give us your opinion.

I was gonna tell Sal that I understand his analogy, but perhaps the particular example of Texans and A'holes wasn't the best.

smile.gif
smile.gif
just kidding guys! Here's a few more
smile.gif
's
smile.gif
smile.gif

On another note, the thought of using BDC -- dendritic cobalt, not dendritic steel -- on a production folder is an amazing idea, I'm pleasantly surprised Spyderco discovered this material so quickly. On the Military with a rolling lock and BDC is a great idea, of course.

However, you know me, I feel the Calypso Jr. is one of the best designed folding knives not only in Spyderco's lineup, but of any manufacturer period. Its edge geometry and performance are outstanding. The best performing knife should have the best material also, please consider keeping the Calypso Jr. as up-to-date as the Military...

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

could someone explain the dendritic steel and cobalt. I think I read about them once, but forgot what they are.

Sal,

You said: "...so left handed knives will not be any more difficult to make".
Well...
I swear I'll buy a left handed Military - whether in the present or the "enhanced" configuration - as soon as it becomes available
biggrin.gif

Regards,

Leo Daher
BTW, it's great to have you on these forums.

Woa!! Military, with rolling lock? Do it and I'll buy two. Make it with the dendritic cobalt and I'll buy two more. Do that to the civilian and I'll buy two of those. Do that to the wegner and I'll buy two of those. Do that to the calypso and I'll buy two of those. Native? well you know...

Sal, you hiring Mechanical Engineers for part time work. I will need some extra cash to pay for all these knives.

Hey, I just saw this thread. Another great idea from the Forumites. I'd definitely get in line for a Rolling Lock Miltary. CPM 440V in a Rolling Lock, that's the bomb, as the youngsters are saying nowadays!

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

c'mon sal...please..please..please, a military w/rolling lock :Þ

------------------
chaz

Back