How did you customize your La Griffe?

Just wondering, since the design of the La Griffe is so wonderfully simple, it fairly begs to be "tweaked". Personally, the ball chain on mine has been upgraded with some 550 cord shroud to keep it comfortable on the neck, and some more where it joins the sheath, to quiet that annoying rattling sound of the chain sliding through the holes in the kydex. The handle is also wrapped in a neat little twist pattern. And if I get my scanner up and running, I'll post a photo.
Cool stuff, and a great little knife...

------------------
Why yes officer, I DO use that to open my mail...

Carpe,
There is and has been an ongoing debate about the use of Paracord vs. Chain.
The assumption is that the Chain (rated approx. 30 lbs.) will break if someone IS
able to get their hands around or on Your neck and use it as a "GORROTE" or assist themselves in a attempted "GATAME" of some
sorts. I have found through extensive day to day carry for years that Paracord is by far the most comfortable and Stealth. (By stealth, I'm immplying Less noisey as opposed to Camoflagueing it's appearance.)

IMHO, I don't feel even the slightest reservation about using Paracord over Chain
worrying if someone is going to use it against me. SHTF, (#$%! Happens To Fast)
for that to really be a consideration in my eyes and I feel it's not really a viable
what if scenario to a competant or conversant practichtioner

I have made some experimentation w/ different
Grips/Wraps etc. in a effort to increase the palm swell area of this brilliant little knife. I have even made my own knife w/ just a bit larger blade and handle.

I'd like to see your handle wrap when you have time to post.

This knife is wonderful in CQB ("Hubbud") applications and to a FMA Artist it is a dream come true to me.

Thanks for the post.

regards, :-{)

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

[This message has been edited by Tamishigiri (edited 21 November 1999).]

Tameshigiri--

My neck chain received the same treatment as my dog tags. I took a piece of 550 cord, not quite long enough to encircle my neck, and pulled the inner filaments out. Then I thread the chain through the "shroud" which is left. This way, I get the best of both worlds; a breakaway chain with the comfort of paracord. Let me know what you think, that goes for anyone else on the list too.

Whooo hooo!

------------------
Why yes officer, I DO use that to open my mail...

Carpe,
Your idea is something I have done too. It is as you say the best of both worlds, I agree.
In my line of work however, The Airport Maganometers et al etc. go APE @$%& !!
So I had to resort to just Para 550.

Just have'nt been able to afford that NEW TI chain coming out !!!! LOL !!
Later :-{)

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

Hi!

Is there a ti chain???

Where do i get one??

Oh, was it a joke...
Be well!/Jonas

------------------
"May all your detonations be expected"

after the silly little chain it came with broke i replaced it with a nice thick piece of leather cord. It feels much better and no longer makes that little rattling noise.

how are you all wrapping the handle? I might try something similar in an effort to make it fit my hand a little better.... But, all in all, i love this mean little blade. The only time im not wearing mine is in the shower and in bed. (and even then it is right there next to me...hehheh)

Murphy's Law dictates I am going to get the only Mr. Universe ball chain that won't break if I am being choked with it.

I am not overly concerned with being throttled by the ball chain by a single attacker I am worried about multiples. One from behind and one or more in the front, then it could be a liability. Multiple attackers are the pits. You Check your 6 as much as possible, and it can still happen...seen it time and time again.

What I do is, I strip the innards from the 550 ParaCord and I run the ball chain through it, I melt the ends of the ParaCord right where the "connector" piece is (what the is it in "ball chain terminology" anyway?) and I place this "connector" in between the two holes in the Kydex and it usually stays there for a day.

If someone comes up from behind and pulls it taut, choking you, the "connector" will bend, opening up and one of the balls will slip through. If the dude grabs the "connector," he may be able to choke you out. I have seen some of these ball chains break very easily...I have seen others that were very strong.

I think maybe the answer is to go to a store that specializes in ceiling fans and see if they make ball chains in plastic.

I used to work as a pool lifeguard, and a whistle was standard equipment. Wearing it round the neck was advised against because a casualty could grab it during a rescue and give you a hell of a time staying afloat. Even with 30lb break ball chain this could be a problem. the solution for those who insisted was to fix velcro tabs to paracord or a shoelace so that a hard tug would release it and it could be removed at will.
(I never tried it though,so I couldn't say for sure if it was practical).

Dom

the problem there is that you need to tug a little to get it out of the sheath. with that set-up (velcro) a little tug and you have the whole thing. but it's another approach. if anyone else does it different, post!! i want to find the way that suits me best.

Unfortunately all of the La Griffes I' ve handled had the neck sheath with a pressure/ friction fit. They do not "snap" in as do some of the better quality ones out there. I think that is the real problem when the question comes to whether or not ball chain or thin leather cord is suitable. However, YMMV.

L8r,
Nakano

Hey Carpe Noctem!
Thanks for the paracord idea!
Works like a dream!
What I did to my LaGriffe was to add another rivet on the tip end of the sheath to tighten the fit a little and add a little extra security in case I fall on it. The blade seats into the sheath with a reassuring SNAP! and is not at all difficult to deploy.

Thanx for the tip!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Why do they sterilize needles used for lethal injections?

I just picked one up yesterday. I came with a para cord instead of a chain. It's tied at two places so that you can adjust the lenght.
Did Emerson khife company get rid of the chain for good.Or is the para cord an option.
David

My Ti La Griffe also came with paracord. However, I bought more paracord and as Carpe Noctem did, removed the filaments but used the nylon to wrap the handle instead. This took a while to get right, but I'm happy with the results.

-Jerome

Here is the real deal, if I do say so myself!
I do not own one of these knives but have several custom neck knives. My daughters are very young. They have childres costume jewelery. Plastic ball chains made to look like jewels. They are strong enough to wistand tugging, i.e. knife removal, but will break easily(your mileage may vary). I think it is by law that children's toys must be made in this fasion so they do not kill themselves. Girls play rough too! At any rate, in side para cord they will do the trick! Unless you prefer the jewel look? Try the DOLLAR STORE at a mall near you.

------------------
Later, Jim

Got mine today. Has anyone lost one of these cause of the fit of the sheath? Misque-where do you get the rivets you used to tighten the sheath and any chance of posting a pic of it? Carpe-how bout a pic of your handle wrap?
Thanks guys

------------------
lifter
Phil. 4:13

Dave
Wharton,NJ

I'm with Lifter. My Griffe is on the way, so any and all pics of modifications would be appreciated. Grazi.

I wish I had scanner capability but, unfortunately, I don't.
frown.gif
It would make my life much easier.
I got the rivets from Sheffield's Knifemaker's Supply 1-904-775-6453. Fax #1-904-774-5754.

------------------
So, what IS the speed of dark?

I believe the first sheaths for these (one hole, kinda square and covering only a small portion of the blade) was made by Skunkworks. This is the one I prefer because it is very low profile. The newer ones (square with two holes and a chain) are reportably being made by Emersons shop. I have been wearing the Skunkworks one for quite awhile with zero retention problems. I wouldn't worry too much about adding rivets. By the way, I tie mine (550 cord) with single knots that slide and will pull apart if really laid into.

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

Just got mine today!
smile.gif
I'm happy to report (after reading the above posts) that I apparently have the Skunkworks sheath. It seems very secure. This is the first neck knife I've tried that has zero footprint under a golf shirt. Now I see what all the "hype" was about when this knife first came out-it's an awesome design, simple yet elegant and effective. Deployment is fast and secure, and the blade is razor sharp. Let's keep this thread going!!!

Back