How did you customize your La Griffe?

Just a quick note:
The extra rivet I added to my sheath aids in retention to a small degree. The retention of the sheath was just fine "out of box", my main reason for the extra rivet was to secure the blade tip end of the sheath to prevent a possible (NOT probable) punch thru in the unlikely event that I accidentally fall on the knife the wrong way (again, not probable).
Having had several knife related accidents over the years, I look for ways to make any knife carry system safer as a matter of habit. Better safe than sorry don't ya know!

The added rivet is not neccessary, just something I thought would add to the overall system which IMO is outstanding already.
Emerson's LaGriffe ROCKS! in and of itself.

Happy Days to all and may Y2K not darken your door!
smile.gif

------------------
So, what IS the speed of dark?

Misque, that sounds like a good idea. And I agree that the knife ROCKS! I carried it under my suit last night at the company Xmas party--zero footprint, and weighs almost nothing. I wasn't going to take it until my wife caught me clipping my Griffith Tracker horizontally on my belt!
wink.gif
Once I took the Tracker off, I felt utterly naked, so I quietly slipped the ol Griffe around my neck. I really like this knife, and am now considering looking for both the original Perrin version and the Ti version. Anyone have these?

You may want to check and see if Tamishigiri is still selling his. If you are looking for a suberb ti kneck knife, try the Chaos from Smoking Hole Knives, it was designed by Tamishigiri, and it is a great design for its purpose.

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

Originally posted by ptpalpha:
...I really like this knife, and am now considering looking for both the original Perrin version and the Ti version. Anyone have these?

I have 2 Perrin Griffes -- the Fang & his latest, the Key Ring Griffe -- both super little knives. Since these are not stainless, however, they will require a bit of ongoing maintenance particularly if worn right next to the skin. I wear the Fang daily and, even w/Marine Tuf-Cloth, find that the metal starts to darken after about a week or so of wear. It's no problem to clean up, but definitely something to consider.

FYI, here are some size comparisons:
[*] Emerson LaGriffe: 4 3/4" OAL 1 5/8" blade
[*] LaGriffe (Fang): 5 1/8" OAL 2 1/4" blade
[*] LaGriffe (Key ring): 4" OAL 1 5/8" blade

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, Babe, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride.

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 22 December 1999).]

The website is :www.smokinghole.com/.
The "Chaos" was inspired by a need for two
blades or one if desired depending on application or need. They are availible in Ti
or ATS 34. They have Carbide applied to the edges and come w/ Concelex sheaths. Availible in one or two Baldes.
Thanks

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

ptpalpha,

Sorry to hear about your better half.
I suffer from the same problem.
Sometimes my wife sees what I'm strapping on for the day or trip or whatever and says "No Way!"
frown.gif

The bad thing is she is generally right. I really shouldn't be taking a 6" fixed blade to the Magic Kingdom anyway.
eek.gif

She even frowns when I take the ol' Nimravus along!
confused.gif
Geez...
Can't have ANY fun!
Oh well, thank GOD for a level headed woman!
Merry Christmas!

------------------
So, what IS the speed of dark?

I also think the la griffe rocks. I hope they will come out with the smaller key ring version. Any chance? I like the later sheath much better the earlier one with the paracord. The later one with the ball chain lies flatter with less of a profile under the shirt for me. Also the knife snaps in and out unlike the earier sheath. Only thing wrong is the rattle of the chain. May try that paracord idea, taking the innards out of the jacket and running my chain through it.

------------------

janefromnc

walker

I use just the paracord, with the "innards" taken out of it. It's real comfortable, and kind of flat now too. Utterly silent. This knife has become the one knife out of my whole collection that is ALWAYS with me. And as far as the better half goes, she's currently not speaking to me because I went into the office tonight to get my Griffith Patrolman which arrived today. See, I'm on vacation, which is rare for me, and had promised not to go to the office. But when my partner told me there was a box that said "Griffith" on it, well, ya'll can feel my pain!! I had to go!! And while I was there I figured I better email Lynn to tell him how happy I was, then I thought I'd check out Bladeforum for a few minutes.....

Just checked out that Smoking Hole Chaos-man, that is the Griffe on 'roids! What a radical design! Me like, me like!!!

Back