How do i explain to my dad why i need a knife for bushcraft?

if your dad objects to a fixed blade knife, maybe he would be more amenable to the Battle Horse Tree Frog bushcraft knife
which is held in open or closed position by two pins

If he's interested in getting one for you, I can sell mine to him for half what I paid, if he sends me a check (I paid
tree frog knife $180, s30v steel upgrade $80 extra, orange G10 handle $20 extra, shipping $10 = total $290 so he would need to send me a check for $145)

note this is too chunky (and too slow to open, since you have to pull two pins out, unfold the blade and then push the pins back in to lock the blade in the open position) to be a good EDC pocket knife and the blade is too thick to be a good food slicer, it's really just for bushcraft

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to think about location. Where are you doing your bushcraft? Maybe he doesn't want you cutting down all the trees in the back yard. If there is no place that you can go locally and safely do these activities (parks near a school are no good), then maybe he's on to something.
^^^^^^this. Location and culture would play a huge role in this.

Tell him “what does need have to do with it?”

Lol, probably better not but I’m sure he has bought something he didn’t “need”. All men at some point will.

But seriously don’t tell him that I don’t want you to get in trouble… :)

Hey! Who you callin' weird???? Never mind, probably me...
I most certainly fall into that category as well. Maybe "eccentric" would be a more fitting description, it sounds more sophisticated.
😳 Is anyone else seeing black helicopters overhead? 😱
I wouldn't be surprised to find that I'm on some sort of list. Knives, books about serial killers, and firearms. Every time I hear the lists of the stuff they find in the domicile of some dude who's just been arrested it's like : "I have all of those things." 😬

Edit to add: except the body parts...

My dad bought me a cheap little barlow pocket knife when I was about 7 years old. My first pocket knife. It broke after a few weeks and he told me I would have to save up and buy my own knife after that. I did and it took awhile about two years but I saved up money by looking for pop bottles in the ditch and alleyways, mowed , cleaned yards, and other odd stuff. Eventually I had more than enough to buy my own Oldtimer 34OT. I’ve bought all my own knives ever since except one that a friend gifted to me.

If your dad is set against you having a particular knife he might have a reason. Life isn’t fair sometimes but in a few years you will be on your own and you can make your own decisions. There’s a reason and purpose for everything.

I most certainly fall into that category as well. Maybe "eccentric" would be a more fitting description, it sounds more sophisticated.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that I'm on some sort of list. Knives, books about serial killers, and firearms. Every time I hear the lists of the stuff they find in the domicile of some dude who's just been arrested it's like : "I have all of those things." 😬

Edit to add: except the body parts...
How about a copy of "The Anarchist's Cookbook"?
Even better: signed by thr author!

Do we really know what the kids motives are?
He might be a good kid interested in woods type stuff. He could be a fluke who's looking for trouble, he could be a kid who does horrible in school and doesn't care. He could be a straight a student. But I got a sneaky feeling that there was malice in his reasoning. I will say this though if my dad told me when I was a kid that I couldn't have a knife the answer would be no no no and no again. And then if I kept insisting on it he would break out his belt. no questions after that. My father did not play around. He was very strict and when I did good he told me and when I did bad he really told me. Something tells me not to trust this kid. But I could be wrong

Do we really know what the kids motives are?
He might be a good kid interested in woods type stuff. He could be a fluke who's looking for trouble, he could be a kid who does horrible in school and doesn't care. He could be a straight a student. But I got a sneaky feeling that there was malice in his reasoning. I will say this though if my dad told me when I was a kid that I couldn't have a knife the answer would be no no no and no again. And then if I kept insisting on it he would break out his belt. no questions after that. My father did not play around. He was very strict and when I did good he told me and when I did bad he really told me. Something tells me not to trust this kid. But I could be wrong
You sure are getting an awful lot of info; from just a few sentences...
But don't worry: being paranoid doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get you... 😷

You sure are getting an awful lot of info; from just a few sentences...
But don't worry: being paranoid doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get you... 😷
i would be inclined to give the boy the benefit of the doubt. There are a lot worse things for a 15 year old to be doing than bushcraft. And most kids (of all ages) would think it cool to have a nice knife of their own and to be outside doing camping stuff. I would like to hear more from him whether there are scouting groups in his area, why his dad objects etc.

Last edited:
You don't have to hold your nose; until the other fella has proven to be full of crap...

Firstly, congratulations on choosing bushcraft. It's a lifestyle.
My daughter is 14 years old and has been going to the woods with me since she was a baby. This month I gave her a pink morakniv companion. hahahaha
Your father must have his reasons, we can't judge. A parent's concerns go far beyond just cutting yourself with a knife.
We have many branches of bushcraft for you to train and perfect until you can have a knife.
I recommend starting with a good read:

Take a look at my YouTube channel, maybe some videos will help you.

Back