How do i explain to my dad why i need a knife for bushcraft?

Yeah I was thinking a 4-5 inch blade since it is a bushcraft knife I will baton but not huge pieces
I found it helps to wrap some thick cushioning tape (like Wilson tennis grip) around the handle of the knife to absorb some of the shock and vibration that is transmitted to your knife hand when batoning. I would go with a longer blade if you plan to baton but that's up to you of course.

I cannot relate to this thread at all. I had access to every tool my father owned my entire life. Had some of my own tools and knives by 6 yo. By the time I was 15, I was physically larger than most men had a full beard and worked full time on a carpentry job in the summer.

It is a different world now I know. Edgar seems like a good kid. Is Dad is worried about something, and we can’t figure it out from here. IDK?

I can’t figure out why his dad doesn’t try to participate in bushcraft with him. I know I’ve done some crazy stuff with my kids to help them explore their interests . Anything to keep them off of their phones. Lol.

How many if us would love it if our kids wanted to learn knife stuff?

I wish him all the best and I for one hope he gets a dandy knife for Christmas, and a Red Rider BB gun! Best of luck, keep us posted.

Edgar. I was actually blown away that you came back here to check in and respond to us. (We get a lot of fly by people who ask a question and never come back). The fact you came back at all. Speaks volumes about your maturity and your posts are well written. You have a bright future ahead of you.

Back