How do you decide what you are going to collect?

Peter, for ease of viewing here's your pic:

orig.jpg

I had the pleasure of seeing that one when Danbo's travelling knife show stopped at Arkansas. Fantastic knife.

Cheers,

Roger

The forged Bowies are so nice!!

When I started collecting custom Bowies, I wanted only stainless steel blades. This is because I was concerned somewhat about rust and the carbon steels. However, I always felt that the carbon steels gave the Bowie a much nicer authentic look.

Today, I buy both carbon or stainless, mostly carbon at this point. If I like the knife, and it's from the makers I like, it doesn't make that big of a difference to me. Taking care of a carbon blade is so very easy with a little oil.

However, I prefer nickel/silver or some other relatively rust resistant material for the ferrule and butt cap. That's just personal preference.

Here is one of my favorite stainless toys...

site1009.jpg

Here is one of my favorite carbon toys...

site1008.jpg

I'm just learning to take pictures of my knives.:D

Your going to love this hobby and the people in it!!

Originally posted by Keith Montgomery
Those look very nice, RWS. I really like the Winkler, but the Lay stainless looks great as well.
Thanks very much, Keith.

That Lay knife won the Best Fighter Award at Blade Show West in 2002, after I bought it. That was a neat experience. Bob is a real nice guy and is my favorite stock removal Bowie maker.

The other "stainless" Bowie guys I like are D. Holder and Schuyler Lovestrand.

Another Winkler Bowie is on its way in December.:)

RWS, I have seen some of Bob Lays work on Bladegallery. His work looks very nice with some pretty impressive grinds.

I have learnt alot in the few days since I started this thread, both from the posts and the rest of the forum. My problem was that there is so much I like, I wanted some tips on how what to choose and how to avoid bankruptcy.

Here' s my take away from all I have read:

First, I am not alone or insane, theres plenty here who have the bug just like me, and very probably worse. This is a very welcome find when you live 300 miles west of Shanghai!

Second, take my time, learn, look, ask questions, and just enjoy the process and all the works of art out there.

Third, learn about the makers - as it is difficult for me to get to the shows I am reliant on this box of tricks and books. I am going to use the knowledge and experienced views of the collectors on this forum quite a lot.

Fourth, I will follow my parameters of style, materials, and maker list to focus my collection .......... and when I see a piece that does not fall into this criteria and that I instantly fall in love with, I will of course resist temptation ......

...... NOT !!!

I think I'm really going to enjoy this ride!

:D :) :p

Grasshopper, you may now take the pebble from my hand.:D

Stephen, You're going to have lots of fun with this hobby.

I'll add one quick thing: there are quite a few makers that produce top quality forged bowies. Within a given range of quality, you will see a range of prices. There are makers that (IMHO) underprice themselves. I like to take full advantage of this. Often, those makers don't have quite the same brand name as others, and that might make the resale more difficult.

If you like forged bowies and can travel, the top show you should consider going to is the ABS Show in Reno. The show only features ABS makers, many mastersmiths, and some JS or non ranked members. The volume of knives isn't what it is at Blade, but the average quality is head & shoulders above the rest (if you're focused on forged blades). It's also a great way to see how makers compare, by going from table to table - not all MS are equal, nor are their prices.

Personally, I've found that there are great buys to be had on the forums, on eBay, and at shows from retailers (not to mention directly from the maker).

JD

Oh, also, some knives are easier to resell at no loss or at a profit. Les is very knowledgeable on this (this is how he puts bread on the table). Forged bowies are always in demand, in my experience. There's something in this knife, a mystique, that has always been attractive to the US customer, and to some extent to the non-US one. My very limited experience is that daggers and swords do not resell as well.

Materials also influence that, but I don't have much experience on that. It's often said that knives with an ivory or a pearl handle retain better their value.

'Finally, when I was interested in true Nihon-to, one of the guys who mentored me recommended that I decide on a fixed number of pieces in the collection. Once you reach that number, he said, you shouldn't add to your collection - only upgrade it by selling the least interesting piece to buy the next most interesting one. I think this is good advice.

Back