How do you feel about Emerson knives?

You like what you like, you don't what you don't. I'll never understand why people, especially knife people, are so obsessed with what other people carry/like.
“You like what you like. You don’t what you don’t”. Hahaha , genius.

Last edited:
I’ve personally never had any desire to own one.

Price seems too high for what it is.

Liner lock on a “hard use” knife.
Chisel grind on wrong side for right handed use.
Mid grade fit and finish.
Soft heat treat on a folder.
Hit or miss lockup.

Maybe one day I’ll pick one up, but not likely.

I like Emerson knives, but I understand why some folks don't care for them.

Sometimes when a knife piques your interest, it becomes an itch that must be scratched. Why not try one out and form your own opinion? If you don't like it, sell it on the Exchange.

Good luck, OP!

So ...... things can’t change in 6 years like new products , improvements in QC and changes in the manufacturing process?

Your ignorance is quite funny yet sad.

Please, explain my ignorance because you didn't ask if there have been any improvements that impacted their quality like how they reworked the lock face or switched over some models to a single detent. You simply asked why the high price.

The wave kills it for me. I find it ugly. I can't ever see a time when I'll need the fraction of a second it might save. Against a Buck 110 it may be fast, against anything with a thumb stud or spydeyhole not so much or at least not enough to justify the choice in carrying the weird blade shape. I did try one, didn't like it. I don't see myself going against somebody where I'll desperately need that millisecond and be reaching for a waved folder over my CCW. As to the man himself, hes selling a product and a big part of that is the fantasy. That's fine as long as you don't take the hype seriously. For example I bought a CS boar spear. The chance of me ever attempting to fight a boar with a spear? Zero. The chance of me telling visitors it's for killing boars if they ask about it? 100%. I'm good at this point in my life on risky behavior, let the kiddies do it.

I Heart Emerson’s and everything about them.
If the shit hit the fan this is the one I would be grabbing for self defense or long term survival no doubt. Nuff said ;)
kW2uj0B.jpg

I had a CQC-13 had it for about a year didn't carry it much did it to fund more Spydercos, missed the design (really like the blade shape on the 13) got a newer one on the exchange for about $140 LNIB still have it, no plans to get rid of it, wasn't willing to pay new prices, but worth the used price, the newer one had better f&f and grinds. Not really interested in others except a fixed karambit maybe.

If I were after something of that ilk, I'd get a Southern Grind Bad Monkey from @whitty over at U.S.A. Made Blade.
Different strokes for different folks.
Also what makes our knife addiction so nice is there’s so many to choose from for our own personal needs and wants from different knives to different favorite dealers.
DLT and BHQ are my go to dealers since the topic came up ;) although I have a long go to list to follow.

I've got a couple Emerson knives. I am a discriminating user and I try to avoid hype. They cut well/do their jobs. They haven't turned me into a ninja and I wrecked 2 pairs of pants because the wave does work well.

I definitely won't buy into the hype and get any of what can only be termed as the investment models; the ones that go to auction for silly prices . For those I think Emerson has very much been a victim of their own success. That hype has a negative effect on a brand as a usable knife.

When I think of Emerson, I think of two things: thumb discs and the wave. I view both of those things as novelties. The thumb disc is a novel alternative to thumb studs. Thumb studs aren't my preferred opening method and I don't like the way discs look, so no sale.

The wave is another story. It's a cool idea. It's certainly a novel way to open a knife. I've even heard of guys using them as bottle openers. For me though, I prefer to draw and then open with a finger. I also don't like the looks of that tab hanging out there. A bigger problem for me is the tactical implication. In most cases, I don't think folding knives are a great choice for self defense. I'm not alone in that. However, some people view the wave as a serious solution. Knives with the wave are sometimes hailed as great defensive tools. I'm generally wary of things that might give people a false sense of security or defensive capability.

I’m not too keen on that wave feature but I wouldn’t say that it would be a dealbreaker for me. I’m sure some people really like it.

An Emerson made knife isn’t worth owning. That being said, I love the ZT0620. I really like the wave, it’s not a must, but it is fun. I hope ZT does more collabs with Emerson

I have 2, a vindicator and a sheepdog. I love them, they are perfect in fit and finish, lockup solid, and the grinds are just spot on.

yomamaknives_20200227_070747_0.jpg

However, honestly I got turned off by the marketing being the only apparent interaction happening from Emerson.

I’ve personally never had any desire to own one.

Price seems too high for what it is.

Liner lock on a “hard use” knife.
Chisel grind on wrong side for right handed use.
Mid grade fit and finish.
Soft heat treat on a folder.
Hit or miss lockup.

Maybe one day I’ll pick one up, but not likely.

Not many models are in a chisel grind, now it's mostly a v grind. Liner locks can take alot depends on alot, titanium is legit strong.

Last edited:
An Emerson made knife isn’t worth owning. That being said, I love the ZT0620. I really like the wave, it’s not a must, but it is fun. I hope ZT does more collabs with Emerson
ZT’s are great knives and I own and use to own a handful.
But they don’t have the soul of a Emerson.
Just another opinion of course :)

Back