How do you finish wood handles?

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but I thought I'd mention a really easy way to get a super solid working finish (Even on SUPER oily woods, the picture is Olive and walnut, both finished in the same way.)

WjPPPgx

This process creates an extremely durable, waterproof, and slightly grippy finish that really brings out color. I wouldn't suggest this on woods with shimmer, as it can easily subdue that, but for working knives like this kitchen utility knife, it works great.

This finish is CA glue. You heard me right. I decided to experiment with it because I saw that alot of penmakers used it as a final finish.

I came to a workable formula using thin CA.

Clean your wood and sand to ~320-600 depending on what effect you want. the higher grits may produce a more slick surface. Next, wipe on CA using a paper towel. You HAVE to constantly keep this moving or it will stick and leave little bits of paper behind. I like to drip some glue directly on the wood then rub it in.
After the glue sets and cures, wet sand with 1200 grit. It's very important that the glue cures fully, otherwise the water will turn it cloudy. The goal with this step is to remove any little bumps left over.
Put on another layer of CA once you dry the wood thoroughly. Keep repeating steps two and three until you get the desired finish, then buff the CA with 2000 grit or higher until you get the desired finish.

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but I thought I'd mention a really easy way to get a super solid working finish (Even on SUPER oily woods, the picture is Olive and walnut, both finished in the same way.)

WjPPPgx

This process creates an extremely durable, waterproof, and slightly grippy finish that really brings out color. I wouldn't suggest this on woods with shimmer, as it can easily subdue that, but for working knives like this kitchen utility knife, it works great.

This finish is CA glue. You heard me right. I decided to experiment with it because I saw that alot of penmakers used it as a final finish.

I came to a workable formula using thin CA.

Clean your wood and sand to ~320-600 depending on what effect you want. the higher grits may produce a more slick surface. Next, wipe on CA using a paper towel. You HAVE to constantly keep this moving or it will stick and leave little bits of paper behind. I like to drip some glue directly on the wood then rub it in.
After the glue sets and cures, wet sand with 1200 grit. It's very important that the glue cures fully, otherwise the water will turn it cloudy. The goal with this step is to remove any little bumps left over.
Put on another layer of CA once you dry the wood thoroughly. Keep repeating steps two and three until you get the desired finish, then buff the CA with 2000 grit or higher until you get the desired finish.

"super glue finish"
It's been around for a long time.

Slobodian, Scott usally gets the credit for that one.

Its been done plenty. You don't see it much on knives mostly because there are more efficient and better methods.
I don't know... I've yet to find a more durable FULLY waterproof method that can be used to finish both oily and dry woods simultaneously with no extra color...

and although I'm relatively new to knifemaking, I've been woodworking since I was 9 Y/O

Last edited:
Back