How it ends

not2sharp

Platinum Member
This video shows a very nice knife collection which was up for auction last year. Unfortunately, we find out that the collector is now in an assisted living facility (a nursing home) and that the collection is being sold off to pay for his maintenance. A sad ending for something which had clearly taken an enormous amount of time, energy and money to assemble.

video link:

Well at least we can surmise that he was still alive when they filmed this and that he probably had a lot of fun putting this together, and now that he can no longer enjoy it, he can still benefit from a significant residual value retained in the collection. This is how all good collections come to an end, they get recycled to younger generations.

n2s

yeah, I wonder how much more he could have got if he listed them here on bf... really big auctions like this I think would create some artificially low prices

That is sad. It will eventually happen to all of us, just in all sorts of different ways I suppose.
This is odd that you bring this up because I’ve been thinking about this a lot for the last few months. These lyrics are from Black Label Society’s song Shallow Grave and they haunt me every time I hear that song which is quite often because I absolutely love that band.

Mourned the passing of myself
I saw today
All that I once held
I watch it fall away

This really hits home. Although my collection is not nearly as large, it’s still a lot of money tied up in beautiful well made pieces. They bring a certain joy inspecting, cleaning, polishing, USING them. I’m not going to give up collecting more because it gives me joy, but it does hit home.

Seconds, if still available.

4859824600000578-5292033-image-a-5_1516457423553.jpg
:rolleyes:

Yes, back in the day, when we were all, well, you know, invincible, thoughts like this never occurred. I don't have a large collection of anything, but I admit whenever I consider a new purchase, I do think of how it will now probably outlive me, and will have to be sold at some point before I get too old.

I have been the caretaker/seller of two collections of firearms from older, gun nut friends of mine, who have passed. It's depressingly sad to sell what a friend took a lifetime to collect and most likely had sentimental attachments to some or all of them. Sadder still, are the vultures who line up to try to low ball the Widow days after the owner had passed. The deception and dishonesty displayed by some of them, makes a guy want to find a rope and a good limb. None of us getting out of this alive, May as well start passing them on, donationf or selling once one hit 70 or so.

Man, that is a lot of stuff. I could never have that much, a. for space reasons, and b. I just don't have the time or attention for 1,000 pieces.

Funny how so many of us buy the "same" thing over and over. The consumer goods version of homophily.

Hope it goes well and he gets his bills paid for a long time.

Wow, poor guy. My meager collection will go to my nephews if they are old enough, otherwise to my sister for when they are.

Living in a nursing home sucks. Even when your family visits every day. After a few weeks the repetitive menu choices get old. It's even worse when you are bed ridden.

I was by far the youngest person there. If it gets to the point I might have to live in one of those long term, I'd shoot myself.

I've considered a will and also name tags under the pieces in my collections and who I want them to go to .

...If it gets to the point I might have to live in one of those long term, I'd shoot myself.

I feel the same way. Let me die on my motorcycle or something.

My wife and I were talking about this sort of stuff recently and I told her that I want to die before I become a burden to my family or society. I also told her that I wanted to die in my sleep but that I had recently changed my mind about that. When she asked me why, I said, "Because I don't want you waking up next to a corpse." I could tell by her reaction that finding a stiff next to her would really mess the gal up.

As for knives, I've already started scaling back for my old age collection of just a few pieces.

Yes, back in the day, when we were all, well, you know, invincible, thoughts like this never occurred. I don't have a large collection of anything, but I admit whenever I consider a new purchase, I do think of how it will now probably outlive me, and will have to be sold at some point before I get too old.
Funny you should say this. Back in the day I thought I was invincible, nothing bad could ever happen to me, and never even thought about the day when things would come to an end. And time seemed endless, like there never would be an end.

Fast forward to now, and the end seems a lot nearer. Nothing to really worry about; you just get a different perspective on things. Ever notice that when you reach a certain point, time speeds up? Seems like days become hours. hours minutes, and minutes seconds. Things just seem to be coming at you faster and faster.

Best thing to do is make the most of it while you still can.

Back