How Many Is Too Many?

I subscribe to the rule of two is one, one is none. Therefore, I carry two knives and two flashlights. I am retired LEO, but when I was on duty I carried a Glock .40 on my gun belt and a .357 in an ankle holster.

I subscribe to the rule of two is one, one is none. Therefore, I carry two knives and two flashlights. I am retired LEO, but when I was on duty I carried a Glock .40 on my gun belt and a .357 in an ankle holster.
I m rarely concerned about the kick from a firearm. But I ve never shot a .357 I could wear in an ankle holster! I ll bet that thing was a little rough to practice with.

I carry this Inox Opinel and these disposable hankies. I don’t like washing boogers out of my handkerchiefs.
View attachment 1449841
Interesting contrast. Fancy handkerchiefs and a cheap (although good) knife.
You could trade just one of those hankies for one of the best edc knives on the planet.
The Cold Steel American Lawman.

When you dispose of one of those things in a store, probably best not to mention the boogers to the cashier!!

At one of my jobs, managing a combination convenience store/pizza parlor/game room, assistant manager, and PT bartender, and cover charge booth attendant at three night clubs and a strip club, and VP of security, I carried a LLama .45 ACP, 9mm Luger Tokerov, (or S&W J frame .38 Spcl/357 Magnum revolver), in a SOB and shoulder holster, and a Chrome plated Locerin .380 in my fanny pack, (along with extra mags for the pistols. company policy was "If you're on company property, you will be armed." I was also part owner of the company, so it was legal for me to concealed carry on company property.) a Old Timer 7OT or Buck 460, and roughly 10 pounds of keys (over 350 keys on my belt. I had keys to every door at every company business location, and all storage location, plus my personal house and vehicle keys), a Mag light mini-Light (double AA batteries) or a triple D cell Mag light, from 1990 to 1994 and 1995 to 1999. From late 1999 to 2007 I didn't need to carry a pistol or revolver, and had a lot less keys after we relocated to Nevada, Florida, and Idaho. (Yeah, it was a PIA flying from ID to FL and back, or driving to Nevada from Idaho and back.)
According to the scale, I was toting an "extra" 30 pounds every day, before the move to Nevada. :)

I haven't found what is "too much" yet. :)

Thirty pounds!!! It sounds like you were getting close to too much!
Whew!

Lately, I have been a two knife EDC person. Mainly a SAK Spartan clone and a full size Griptilian.

Along with my knives, I have to have a wristwatch. It is a must have item for me. Add my keys, wallet, meds, and phone. Then you have my basic daily carry when I leave the house.

I guess anything over two is excessive.

Last edited:
Been in the office a lot lately which usually means that I have my BM Bugout and either a stockman or more recently a SAK Pioneer.

Days out in the field I like to have a bigger folder, which until I get my Spartan SHF next year, usually my Hogue EX-A01 4" or something similarly sized.

Always with me are the usual wallet, keys, wristwatch, mask. Sometimes a single cell AAA flashlight but it's been giving me issues and I'm researching a replacement.

In my bag (always with me and transferred from vehicle to vehicle) - Esee 4HM, folding saw, Leatherman Surge with bit kit, first aid stuff, extra meds, AA flashlight without extra batteries, power bank for phone recharges, etc, etc, etc.

When you run out of pockets or belt line, thats probably too many.

L.M. EDC and I have taken to carrying a Mora Craftline Flex in right front pocket when not at work. Wrapped 2 rubber bands around the lower portion of the sheath and it grabs enough to stay put. Seems it end up mostly on kitchen duty.

SAK clipped on my work bag which is redundant but I love knives - so...

When hiking/camping I add a field knife and saw.

Good thread, thanks!

I carry .....
One knife usually a 3" blade folding.
SABRE pepper spray baton, I put a clip on it and it carries like a pen.
Penlight with pocket clip has two modes high & low.
Leather notepad has extra pockets to slip loose papers in.
Tactical pen, I like the size more than for a weapon. But.......
Keys
Wallet it made from a tough fabric but really comfortable in pocket.

If I’m dressed I always have at least two knives on me, a Buck 303 cadet and a large vantage or marksman. At work it’s necessary to have both a small knife and a large size at all times and then I also have a LM Wave, a Buck 110LT and a micro stream flashlight. I wear suspenders to ease the weight of everything and it really makes a difference. I also have a LM bit kit, small screw driver with bits, in my maxpedition edc organizer with extra stuff in it including a large trapper and utility knife that is in my work truck that is always close by with lots of tools and there is also a first aid kit there as well. There have been some people say it’s overkill but it’s saved my skin several times, and well worth the investment. If you have a job or lifestyle with performance expectations and critical operational issues for me it’s a must have.

Today I have a utilizer 2.0 in my pocket, a custom fixed blade in scout carry, and a gerber dime in my pocket. It changes day to day though.

Last edited:
Back