How many of you really NEED a knife

Hey guys. First let me say that this isn't meant to criticize anyone. I was responding to a post in another sub forum, and someone mention that they hadn't used their knife that day. I replied and said, don't worry, I don't use mine most days, and that when I do, it usually isn't really necessary, it's more of me finding a reason to use it. Before I moved into an office job, I was working in the field as a Steamfitter. In that setting, I used my Delica daily. Now, being in an office, I rarely ever need it. I have scissors, and 90% of all packaging that I run across has some type of perforated line so that you can tear it open. I still carry one everyday just because I enjoy it. I'm just wondering how many others could get through most days without their knife.

Last edited:
Probably the majority of us with office jobs do not have the opportunity daily. I also don't have the opportunity daily to use my Leatherman juice s2. But when I need it I'm always beyond happy to have it.

"It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" - Someone

I'm with you. I just like to carry one. I always have and always will.

I definitely don't 'need' my knife daily, but when I do it reminds me why I carry it daily. Because needing a knife and not having one is one of the most frustrating situations to end up in (especially for us knife knuts).

My knife is the most important tool I carry. I use it, honestly, close to 50 times daily. If I forgot my phone at home, I'd say forget it. However, if I left my knife at home.... I'll be turning around :)

I work in an office setting. Between work, home, and play I find a use for my EDCs daily.

Right now I EDC a Leatherman Juice S2 and aN Opinel #9.

I use mine fairly regularly, but I could certainly get by with a $30 folder. Practically no one needs a knife that costs over $100, but no one needs a BMW either, yet they still sell well.

I would say I use my EDC for something every day or so, although it might not be a huge deal if I didn't have it (I work in an office, and usually there are scissors close enough by), its worth it for me to carry it.

Outdoors though is a different matter.

1st I like to carry a knife, never know when I need one and it's a passion
I could do with my TM scissors and blade but the sebenza works nicer and it's good to have
2 often use it at home, work, restaurant, when the postman comes, to open packages, help someone...

I was trying to remember the last time I went through an entire day without using my knife for something. I think it was back in 1976, when they wouldn't let me carry it during boot camp.

I use my knife daily, especially work days when i'll use it at least twice an hour over a 12 hour shift...all my knives get a workout.

My office job doesn't require me to have a knife; I just like having it on me. You never know when you'll need to dismember an apple or hack an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper to death.

My most used knife is my Vic Camper but I'm often using other tools besides the blade. I've used it and my Mini Recon 1 all day today while on our second day of planting trees. A lot of home and office duties can be handled with cheap scissors (or even a sharp key or watch clasp) but I think that is where a lot of $100+ folders get their workout.

There has been many times I was glad to have a relatively large folder with well designed handle. There is a lot of time and energy wasted to always run to go get a tool. Even light hammering or pressing is better with a pocket knife than most things you might have in a pocket.

For me it would be ignorant and lazy to not carry a knife as a tool and emergency zombie killer.

My most used knife is my Vic Camper but I'm often using other tools besides the blade.

That's a good point that I forgot to consider, while I may not use my dedicated folder I DO use the tools on my SAKs EVERY day in some way, even if I don't always cut something that day.

Mostly I need my knives to keep my mental balance.........:eek:
In addition to that today, so far I open envelope at work with my Persian and cut an apple with my Caly3.5 during the brake. Demonstrated to my buddy that my Persian is better than his Griptilian again :):D. Later, when I get home, I will need a knife to open mail. Than.....you never know. Of cause I can try to use my teeth and claws, but it is easier to use a knife.

I don't..... prior to carrying a knife I opened things with whatever was near me. Pens, key, screw driver, my fingers, my teeth. To be honest I actually find it more of a hassle to use a knife, but I use it anyways because it feels awesome.

Some days I can go an entire day without using my knife. But when I need a knife, it's nice to have one in reach. When I was working in the machine shop, I actually could get by without one, as there were Stanley utility knives on every work bench. But being retired, I actually need a knife more now. There's fishing with the grandkids, canoeing with the better half, woods rambling with the better half nature watching, and cooking out more. Being retired means more screw off time doing all the things I day dreamed about doing while I was stuck in that shop. And a knife is a nice thing to have off in the woods.

But in suburbia, I do have to admit that while I like to have a knife, I don't need much of one. Even a very small knife on a keychain like a Victorinox classic, will open boxes, plastic blister packages, mail, cut twine, and even provide small scissors. Modern urban or suburban life styles do not need much knife, but I think everyone should carry at least a minimum knife on a keychain. If, God forbid, you run into an emergency, and something about that emergency needs a knife, then you're going to need that knife very desperately. Twice in my life, I've needed a knife to help someone else, and it was possibly life saving in one of those instances. My Buck stockman did it. Even a SAK classic would have been enough though. Sneaker laces and seat belts are too tough to chew through.

I'm of the opinion that while most of us knife knuts carry a ridiculously over sized knife, every kid that reaches 16 years of age and gets a drivers license, should then get a SAK classic, Spyderco ladybug, A.G. Russell ulitimate pen knife, or something, (!) to go on thier keychain so they will always have a sharp blade on hand. If we trust them with 3000 pounds of car, then a small sharp knife is nothing. How many people have died stuck in a wreck or like that old lady choked to death in Boston, because nobody had a knife to cut the scarf caught in the escalator?

If you need it, nothing else will do.

Carl.

I need a knife for my job, although an Olfa knife works better than all of my expensive knives put together for most of the tasks I do.

Additionally, I need a knife whenever I go camping.

Edit: Additionally, I need my SAK because it contains the only can opener I own. If I didn't have that Alox Pioneer, I would have to forego canned food entirely.

i guess i don't really NEED it. but it's nice to have a knife or two with me. things come up at least once a day where i'm glad i have a knife with me. yesterday my migraine was about to kick in and i couldn't open the med. it's in strange child proof packet. zt 550 solved it really quick.. yeah.. it was overkill but it worked.

Back