How Old Can You Go?

Will Power

Gold Member
Been wondering what are the oldest knives people have out there?

Mine are rather new, although I did have a tortoiseshell (real not faux)slippie that belonged to my grandfather in the 1920s.It got lost or went for a walk during a house move years ago:eek:

Any early c20th stuff or 19th? Be interested.:thumbup:

As far as I know, my oldest knives are Schrade double button knives with patent dates of 1916 (newest date). They are well made, handy pocket knives with good carbon steel blades that our wonderful government saw fit to outlaw :rolleyes:

I have a Japanese piece from the Shin Shinto period. I believe late 1600's is best guess.

A Russell Daddy Barlow from the 1890's

A Waterville Cutlery 2 blade jack from pre-1913

A Remington R1123 from the 20's or 30's

Here's a Schrade Cut. Co. split back sleeveboard from I believe around 1910 or so:
42l7e5l.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

As far as I know, my oldest knives are Schrade double button knives with patent dates of 1916 (newest date). They are well made, handy pocket knives with good carbon steel blades that our wonderful government saw fit to outlaw :rolleyes:

Can you please explain why they were outlawed:eek: Interesting!

Here is a picture of the oldies :D

The Switchblade Act of 1957 painted with a broad brush. Hollywood portrayed the switchblade (specifically the Italian stilleto style) as the weapon of choice for the hoodlums in such movies as The Wild One. It quickly came to symbolize gang violence, so naturally enough, politicians decided that the way to fight gang violence was to ban Hollywood's symbol (the switchblade).

Worked real well. huh? :rolleyes:

f39cef7d.jpg

I believe this is from before WW2. The translation into English on the reverse side makes no sense. I though it was a Zero with the rising sun on there, but an old WW2 vet said it was a Zeke because of the non-retreactable landing gear. The reverse side says contrast and superior and the rest is jibberish. I understand they were made for sale prior to WW2, but were issued to pilots during the war. I was fishing at Ft Meade and snagged it from one of the ponds. All I did was wash the mud off it and oil it.

Rob,

What makes you think so? ;)

Heres a few of mine-
a Camillus 3 7/8" barlow,ca 1930, a Robeson Cutlery EZ Open jack, ca 1920, and an early Imperial junior scout, ca 1920
IMGP2420.jpg

An equal end pen from Fulton Cutlery, ca 1925, a Camillus sleeveboard pen, 1915, and a G Butler Sheffield Wharncliffe, late 19th century
IMGP2414.jpg

John Cowlishaw fruit knife, 1890
_IGP1632.jpg

Howard marked pearl Tuxedo, made by Canastota, ca 1890
_IGP1640.jpg

A couple of 1930's Bruckmans

late 1890's-1900's era Russell Barlow

1930's Remington scout knife

Case peanut, not sure of age. Dad had it when I was a kid, 1940's.

Arathol,
Those are just incredible!

I think I may win this as far as the oldest folder. This Sheffield barlow is from the late 18th to early 19th century. It was made no later than 1819. I got it at quite a steal too.
barlow2.jpg

I can't touch that Barlow, my oldest is a Joseph Rodgers from the time of Victoria's reign (1837-1901). Based on the construction, I think it is from the first 30 years of that time period.

I have a number of knives from makers who went out of business by the early 20th century - Waterville (1913), Southington (1905), H&B (1916), Challenge (1928), Miller Bros (1926), Empire (1930), NYKC (1931), etc, so they were made before those dates.

Arathol, that Sheffield Wharncliffe is one of the nicest knives I've seen.How long have you had it and was it expensive?
About time somebody made a repro of that one! (Bark River maybe...?)

heres the oldest i own , its supposed to`ve been made between 1917 - 1940
its a schrade

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 37
Back