How Old Can You Go?

I have a Camillus jack knife made in 1900. Still looks great. I carry it from time to time.

I think I may win this as far as the oldest folder. This Sheffield barlow is from the late 18th to early 19th century. It was made no later than 1819. I got it at quite a steal too.
barlow2.jpg

Very interesting knife rivit. Have you deciphered the marks? Thanks in advance.

Arathol, that Sheffield Wharncliffe is one of the nicest knives I've seen.How long have you had it and was it expensive?
About time somebody made a repro of that one! (Bark River maybe...?)

Haven't had it that long, a couple months maybe. I found it on ebay. Not a lot of interest was shown, got it for under $60. Its a nice little knife, good quality construction. Case used to make somethimg similiar, a 3 blade whittler about the same size. The Case Classics line used the pattern, the one I have is marked 630053.

I have a Camillus jack knife made in 1900. Still looks great. I carry it from time to time.

Post a picture of that if you can. I'd like a look at that one. What are the markings on the knife?

Cool stuff all!
My oldest is probably my WW1 Pioneer Bayonet.
It's the sawback model on the right.
allthreebayo.gif

Anything else is a couple of decades newer :D

S-K, I have no idea who made the knife. The mark doesn't seen to be in any of the registries I have checked. I am going to see the dealer I got it from this next weekend, and he says he has more old Sheffield knives for me, hopefully from the same period.

Late 1800s for my oldest, but the majority sit between the 1940s - the 1970s with a few in the early 1920s.

To me any production knife made after the 1st WW is considered to be a modern pocket knife.

I have several US WWI knuckleduster trench knives, both the triangular blade and double-edged styles. I also have one of the early 1900's style Collins machetes. I have quite a few old slip-joint pocket knives that I haven't bothered to date. I have quite a few WWII vintage combat knives.

Here's a Camillus easy open jack, the vintage on this one totally escapes me:
4c8jxmo.jpg
[/IMG]

And four Walden Knife Co pre-1920 examples:
2hrzhgi.jpg
[/IMG]

2a5jbxg.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

You have some nice vintage knives, Eric! Are those magnets I see behind some of your knives??

I don't have a handy picture of my WWI trench knives off by themselves. Here is an image link to an equivalent set.
1e.jpg

Charlie,
Thanks! Yes they're magnets, although I've since replaced them with rare earth magnets thanks to your suggestion. Nice and small so you can't see em, plus I got the little felt pads to protect the blades.

Eric

great thread!!!
I think my oldest is a WW2 german fightingknife called "Infanteriemesser 42".
and I have a totally destroyed slippie with horn scales and bladeplay of about 1", walk and talk of a chewing gum :) that could be even older.

I really would like to get an old spanish navaja, 2 feet long, from 19th century..

From the middle 1880's most likely, bought in Kentucky by a friend, and sent to me. It is accompanied by an envelope, found by another friend, and sent to me from Rhode Island, this is a La Belle barlow made in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Short lived company, Goins says 1884-1891, so probably rare!
LaBelleWEnv.jpg

Charlie,
That is VERY nice! And in excellent condition of course:D . They were known as Frary and Son from 1881 to 1884- now you'll have to collect one with that tang too (does it ever end?!?)

Eric

a couple I-XLs from the late 1800's

a splitback whittler with real ivory
IXLsplitbackwhittler.jpg

bone congress
I-XLcongress.jpg

IXLcongresstang.jpg

celluloid or ivory (not sure) office knife
ixlofficeknife.jpg

mid 1800's levigne

levione2.jpg

levione1.jpg

Charlie,
That is VERY nice! And in excellent condition of course:D . They were known as Frary and Son from 1881 to 1884- now you'll have to collect one with that tang too (does it ever end?!?)

Eric
I'm beginning to think it never does end, but I'm enjoying the ride!!

Back