How the h--- does anyone carry this?

I love the Core & ST300; solid and have done a lot of work for me.

I mostly carry a Spirit these days, it's just so sexy and functional. I accidentally left it at my paintball cabin for a couple months; I was truly distraught without it.

Ive been carrying my old school wave for almost 10 years now...found her on a roof doing a cell phone tower installation and have gone through probably 5 sheaths :D Ive used her for so many things its ridiculous, from picking up a hot, handleless pan while camping (the handle broke on my buddies pan) to bending a coat hanger to break into my car after forgetting to take the keys out of the ignition. The scissors are pretty useful IMHO, they've made a lot of makeshift bandages on jobsites (piece of a rag and electric tape) and Ive almost worn the diamond sharpener down to nothing...it really needs to get replaced, but Im not sure if I can buy just one part from leatherman or not.
Carl- I would throw it into a pouch on the bike and wait for a time when its needed, then it'll be worth the extra weight :D

Ive been carrying my old school wave for almost 10 years now...found her on a roof doing a cell phone tower installation and have gone through probably 5 sheaths :D Ive used her for so many things its ridiculous, from picking up a hot, handleless pan while camping (the handle broke on my buddies pan) to bending a coat hanger to break into my car after forgetting to take the keys out of the ignition. The scissors are pretty useful IMHO, they've made a lot of makeshift bandages on jobsites (piece of a rag and electric tape) and Ive almost worn the diamond sharpener down to nothing...it really needs to get replaced, but Im not sure if I can buy just one part from leatherman or not.
Carl- I would throw it into a pouch on the bike and wait for a time when its needed, then it'll be worth the extra weight :D

I'd bet Leatherman would replace that file for you.

I'd bet Leatherman would replace that file for you.

The Wave is a "door pocket" kind of multitool. The biggest deal are the pliers, and they don't compare to a pair of "real" pliers, but serve their purpose (some have told me the pliers will eventually give up the ghost). However, I've used my Wave for all of the dirty jobs on my truck, like scraping the gunk off of the battery terminals. My Victorinox Swisstool Spirit is a much better made, ergonomic tool.

I've used both for repairing fences (wire cutters), car maintenance etc. I don't see how anyone can comfortably cary them, but they are useful. I forget which small SAK has pliers, but a multitool blows that one out of the water. I agree with wanting a regular pair of pliers instead.

Here is an update for me. I don't know if I mentioned before but I bought 3 recent Leatherman models to update my collection. I've carried the Skeletool in lieu of my normal pocket-clipped folder, and more recently I've carried the little Juice in my pocket below my big pocket-clipped folder. My Charge didn't come with a pocket clip so I had to order one and it just arrived today. I pulled the Charge out of the drawer and was immediately struck by how big and heavy it is. I put the clip on and clipped it to my jeans pocket and I can't even tell it's there. I'm going to try carrying it as my EDC for awhile just to see how it goes. Just like with the Skeletool I can pull it out with one hand, open the blade and use it just like if it ws a normal folding knife, close it and then put it back in my pocket.

photo355b.jpg

Last edited:
I have a surge and i wear it on my belt and have done this for 6 or 7 years now after awhile it just becomes a part of you and you forget its there until you need it. I never go anywhere with out my Multi-tool at best i'll take it off my belt if i have too.

I'm with you brother rumbrave(great name by the way).
Stop whining about the wave tool -its a cissy little girly multitool.
Get a MANS multitool like the Surge -its got real heft to it.
My boss puchased them for us courtesy of FRNSW.
I used it in anger to cut a hole in a wall to get the the hose through.Even I couldn't break it.
Admittedly one does need to wearing fireman trousers to support the weight of the Surge and the S&W first responder.
We discussed the idea that it might be handier to just lash the toolbox to your body.
It will get most jobs done for my needs but then I'm not building violins with it.

I keep MT's, and the occasional SAK, stashed all over the place: dresser, kitchen "junk" drawer, glove boxes, tool bags, EDC pouch, BOB, even my tool box. I have so many that none of 'em gets used much, but one probably gets used each week for something. In the garage, I go for the right tool for the job. If I worked outdoors or in a shop I would certainly pick one MT to carry in a sheath on my belt, but since I work in an office I don't feel the need to carry one on me everyday. But when I'm playing handyman I'll drop a Juice into a front pocket, or a big one in my back pocket. Otherwise, they're never more than a couple hundred feet away.

I hate just about all the new leathermans, but the older ones are very slimline and nice.

Funny you should mention this. They really have dropped in quality and fit and finish. I recently bought a pre 2004 wave and love it compared to the new one I sold. I also recently got a Surge and brought it back not even 24hrs later because all of the tools had a ridiculous amount of play in every direction. IMO they're great to thrash on and beat up, because no matter what Leatherman will replace it. Their fast no questions asked warranty keeps me a customer. They're tools get the job done but I wish they'd step up in QC.

I carry a Surge/ST 300/SOG Powerlock everyday. I forget it's there until I need it. Weight isn't a huge factor for me.

Funny you should mention this. They really have dropped in quality and fit and finish. I recently bought a pre 2004 wave and love it compared to the new one I sold. I also recently got a Surge and brought it back not even 24hrs later because all of the tools had a ridiculous amount of play in every direction. IMO they're great to thrash on and beat up, because no matter what Leatherman will replace it. Their fast no questions asked warranty keeps me a customer. They're tools get the job done but I wish they'd step up in QC.

Am I the luckiest Leatherman owner on the planet? Since 2004 I have added a number of later models to my "collection," including Super Tool 300, Surge, Charge TTi, Juices S2 and CS4, Squirts S4, P4 and PS4, and Style CS. Not all were kept, but those passed on were because they didn't suit me for one reason or another, not bad fit and finish. Each one came out of its box perfect, and although I preferred the higher polish of earlier models instead of bead blasted, they were good enough as they were, not prone to rust, and those that got used hard stayed tight.

It is not that I don't believe these reports of Leatherman QC. Maybe I dodged a few bullets. But now I'm thinking of buying a lottery ticket :D .

Last edited:
I like to carry mine with a nite ize eclipse and the weight basically disappears. YMMV

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Im a helicopter engine mechanic and i use mine almost everyday. its just faster to reach to my side then walk all over a flight line to get a tool when i have several right on my hip. i carry a gerber freehand, it doesnt have everything but its got quite a bit. not everyone needs or has a use for a multi-tool but those of us that do are quite thankful they exist.

Im a helicopter engine mechanic and i use mine almost everyday. its just faster to reach to my side then walk all over a flight line to get a tool when i have several right on my hip.

I was a mechanic in my father's garage in the early 1970's. The attached photo is a rough progression of my EDC knives over a long period of time, note the second from left is an old folder with a broken tip. At the time I would usually get my dad's hand-me-downs when he broke them including this one. I touched up the end on a grinder and found that it made a good screwdriver. I ground the edge with a grinder and the rough edge worked well for cutting hoses and such, and overall was very useful when I was out of the building and away from my tools. I don't know what it would have been like if I had had a good multitool to use.

DSC_6323b.jpg

i dont think a wave is too heavy to carry...

you dont use pliers, you should buy this:
8830513414174_0_6201_A7_11765_eps_1.jpg

The original poster, Carl, is well known for his affection for the original Victorinox Classic. Always carries one.*

* Even if my Rambler is a better tool ..... ;) Sorry, Carl. Couldn't help myself.

you dont use pliers, you should buy this:
8830513414174_0_6201_A7_11765_eps_1.jpg

I remember Carl also saying that he didn't understand the Victorinox Tomo...and I agree with him. No T&T, and probably a less pocket friendly shape.
As for the Wave...I already posted what I think :)
And, by the way...since I know it very well...I'm glad to have someone from your country here :)

:cool:

Back