How to Fight a Bear

same way I'd fight a dog, 'feed" him my arm, shove my 9mm against his skull and fire.

The best answer I've seen/heard/read! :thumbup:

Zieg

What about Falkor...

Or Gmork...

Coincidentally enough, Atreyu killed Gmork the same way Anothony Hopkins killed that friggin beast of a grizzly - by using its own fat@$$ weight against it lol!

I agree with most of what you've said but I've found carrying a gun to be more of a burden then anything.

I like how you say not to listen to opinions and then state an opinion. :D
Lol you know what I mean, even tree hugging hippies should have a gun to Augment their human pepper flavoring spray :) (it is quite effective but I still don't trust the winds)

ALSO. For those on mountain bikes check out the hill people gear that's also in the pic.
It makes carry effortless and "somewhat" discreet.
Best of all it keeps your gun in a position where it is easily accessible at all times I E on your back is difficult to draw from iwb unless you carry appendix.

And draw times are quite decent I've never timed myself but it comes out just as quick if not quicker then any method that I carry in (appendix and iwb at 330)

same way I'd fight a dog, 'feed" him my arm, shove my 9mm against his skull and fire.

That's why I rock a revolver in the woods so I can make contact shots without disengaging the slide on my glock :) ahh fantasy land is great

Like your 44 mag. Thought about getting one in 41 mag, but decided against it as I have a 4" M57 Mountain Gun. Nothing wrong with carrying a firearm in the woods. Not a thing. I do it. In AK, I certainly would pay a bit more attention to bears simply because they are often larger than your average bear in the lower 48 and you often are more alone and medical care or help may be further. There are obviously exceptions like an 600-800 lb black bear in PA.

The Mountain Bike thread going on now.... you do get the I don't carry a gun biking and the guy in MT NP near Glacier NP didn't and he is very experienced in the woods. Stuff happens.

4 inch mountain guns are GORGEOUS and one of the best self defense revolvers around .
I wish I had one
This is my other it's a 6" ultralight Lazer lol don't mind the crackhead pez dispenser ;)
20160713_223610-1_zpsnhj8ojzg.jpg
[/URL]

ALSO. For those on mountain bikes check out the hill people gear that's also in the pic.
It makes carry effortless and "somewhat" discreet. Best of all it keeps your gun in a position where it is easily accessible at all times I E on your back is difficult to draw from iwb unless you carry appendix.

And draw times are quite decent I've never timed myself but it comes out just as quick if not quicker then any method that I carry in (appendix and iwb at 330)

That's why I rock a revolver in the woods so I can make contact shots without disengaging the slide on my glock :) ahh fantasy land is great

Fantasy land is a special place. We use it to justify all kinds of purchases and carrying overly heavy loads on day hikes. I need to look into the Hill People gear holster/bag. It would be good to just have one available. It is one of those things I keep putting off since I "really don't need it". I usually carry in a regular strong side belt holster with my shirt or jacket flipped down over it to mostly conceal in the woods.

Last edited:
Fantasy land is a special place. We use it to justify all kinds of purchases and carrying overly heavy loads on day hikes. I need to look into the Hill People gear holster/bag. It would be good to just have one available. It is one of those things I keep putting off since I "really don't need it". I usually carry in a regular strong side belt holster with my shirt or jacket flipped down over it to mostly conceal in the woods.

You should check them out I would think they would be awsome for mounting biking.
Reasons are it protects your weapon and keeps it attached even if you take a tumble .

Sticks and catch alls are less likely to pluck your gun out of your rig as you ride by .

Keeps the sheep from seeing your hideous murdering tool

Stays pretty dry even through some good rain (would preform even better with a material treatment.

Holds enough "kit" for anyone as a grab and go ,got my gun,phone,snacks, knives whatever.

Not trying to push the product but it does work very well as intended .

Yeah. It's now apparent the last time when you fed him your head, it didn't turn out too well.

You'll just confuse the ninjette as he won't have a clue what you're dinging him on.

.............Really? Please test this theory and get back to us on it.
He did, which explains the ninjette the world was let with. Bear ate his brain.

Last edited:
I'm not going to stop carrying my daily carry 9mm just cause I'm in the woods. I've had problems with people in remote areas and so have other people. If you can't manage to carry a 1 lb 9mm, how do you manage with your 20-50 lbs of blubber? More people die from being hit by lightning than bears. Nobody worries about lightning so why worry about bears.? Men and dogs, however, are everywhere. The ASPCA site says that 800k people per year are dog bitten badly enough to seek medical attention, every year in the USA. About 20 people per year are attacked by bears. BFD

I'm not going to stop carrying my daily carry 9mm ...
I don't believe you even have one. Post a pic of your carry pistol with a coffee cup and a piece of paper with "BF" and today's date written on it.

Last edited:
Same way I'd fight a dog, 'feed' him my arm, shove my shiv against his temple and push.

Ain't that why everyone carries such a knife afield.

CamillusTuxedoOneBladeOpen.JPG

Like your 44 mag. Thought about getting one in 41 mag, but decided against it as I have a 4" M57 Mountain Gun. Nothing wrong with carrying a firearm in the woods. Not a thing. I do it. In AK, I certainly would pay a bit more attention to bears simply because they are often larger than your average bear in the lower 48 and you often are more alone and medical care or help may be further. There are obviously exceptions like an 600-800 lb black bear in PA.

The Mountain Bike thread going on now.... you do get the I don't carry a gun biking and the guy in MT NP near Glacier NP didn't and he is very experienced in the woods. Stuff happens.

Which thread are you referencing here? As a mountain biker/dirt biker who uses a Hill People Gear Recon Chest Pack to carry a Glock 10MM, I'd be interested in reading what others experiences are.

Thanks.

22-rimfire , the biggest Black bear taken in PA was about 900lbs !Taken in NE PA . Biggest I've seen in that area was about 400 lbs and that was a lot of bear !! I've handled 4 month old bears but they're just light weight ! Black bears are not really a problem .One man on the news yesterday claimed he was attacted was found to be full of BS !

We had a black bear across the street from our house a few nights ago. I would call it "full size". Looked like its back would have been about my waist. About three in the morning I heard a sound like some one was slamming hunks of inch thick plywood down on our drive way as hard as they could. Turned out it was the bear dismantling the neighbor's six foot picket fence. I think it climbed over the fence, couldn't get back over and found the hole where the cats go in and out and when it was done improving the hole it was big enough for a kid to ride a small mini bike through it.

Several years ago I heard one banging away at our metal trash can. While I was watching The Chef said "Don't let him get into the can it has broken glass in there".
?
??
????
?????
OK . . .
I wasn't about to go out there and shoo it away so I said, from the second story window, rather calmly and matter of factly I thought, "Hey bear . . . that isn't for bears . . . there's broken glass in there."
Danged if it didn't just look up at our window and look at me like "Thanks dude" and just kind of slowly wandered off.

Hahaha.

Speaking of what to do if . . .

Twenty five years ago I used to run the mountain trails around here as long distance training for marathons. Now there is so much wild life, think big bucks, that mountain lions have been seen in the area. There was a photo several years ago taken a half a mile from where I am typing this of a pair of mountain lions doing a stand off with a woman who had taken her wind breaker and stretched it between her arms / held over her head. She stood like that until her husband caught up to her and the lions ran off.

I used to run by my self . . . think tasty lion treat that tries to get away just enough to be fun to eat.

Sheeeze . . . I can't bring my self to run like that here since we moved back.
Run with a big hand gun ? ? ? ?
I'm thinking flame thrower to stop a mountain lion.

I don't have photos of the bears but here are some photos of bear snacks hanging out in my yard.
PS: no that's not the same fence; it was across the street and taller.

Last edited:
22-rimfire , the biggest Black bear taken in PA was about 900lbs !Taken in NE PA . Biggest I've seen in that area was about 400 lbs and that was a lot of bear !! I've handled 4 month old bears but they're just light weight ! Black bears are not really a problem .One man on the news yesterday claimed he was attacted was found to be full of BS !

The bears aren't a problem until they become a problem (probably protecting the cubs):

MENAHGA, Minn. (WCCO) — A Minnesota woman attacked by a bear on her own deck says she doesn’t know how she survived.
“I got knocked down, so it was stomping on my head, and I got scratches back on my neck,” 59-year-old Catherine Hanson said.

The bear surprised Hanson on Friday night. Wildlife experts think it was looking for food near her home in the north-central Minnesota town of Menahga.
“I don’t know how I was lucky enough to survive that,” Hanson said.
As the dogs played out front of Hanson’s rural home last week, she stepped out onto the deck to call them back inside. Suddenly, there was a large dark figure standing on its hind legs in front of her.
“I just remember how big it was,” she said.
A black Bear had wandered onto the deck. Hanson says she doesn’t really remember anything after that, but she has the scars to prove it.
“I must have been punching, because I had bruises on my fingers,” she said. “Then it turned around and left, and then came back and got the top of my head.”

Native Indian women around the Boreal forest here used to have tinkling or jingling cones hung from the leather tassels of their garments. Seeing that the women had to gather wood and start fires, one may infer that the noises from the cones may have been beneficial in bear country. I have found the cones, cone pre-forms and modified fur trade thimbles, used as tinklers.

Having taken a pretty good bite from a Chow/Pit mix I would not want my nervous system to be a guinea pig for a bear bite by offering up my arm. You might not recover from the shock of it in time to draw a gun or whatever your next move would be. Not to mention that once it clamps down it will most likely immediately shake you off your feet or dislocate the arm. I'd keep my limbs away from the mouth except maybe to jab the eyes. Jingle bells on clothes are ok for young bears but the old ones know that just means dinner. I've had numerous close range encounters on my ranch in Colorado with rather large bears. One I couldn't scare away with multiple warning shots from the SKS that I had with me that day. Because I had nowhere to take cover I finally had to just basically charge that bear while firing into the dirt at its feet. It was way too close for comfort. It was very reluctant to move on.

My usual carry gun in those days was a Ruger SA .44 mag. I was as likely to run into a mean bull as I was a bear and there's no reasoning with a mean damn bull. Now they've released wolves around my area to accompany the bears and mountain lions, and they aren't impressed with jingle bells either. So to answer the question of how I'd "fight" one, I'd do it by never going out without a large caliber firearm. I had goats, sheep, and fowl so I was a bear magnet. There was never a maybe.

Back