How to identify a factory seconds

Yes, I've been referred to as that at least once or twice is my travels :D

LOL, you know what I meant. I think the exchange has and continues to have it's share of seconds selling as firsts as well.

I just experienced buying a "1st that was really a 2nd".

I thought it was a 1sts, had no reason to believe the seller was not honest. Finally took of the scales to clean, and bam, there's the 2nd mark.

What I bought was not a collection piece for me, luckily. But still doesn't exactly sit right with me, even if the seller didn't know themselves.

I saw the same story with a seller on the exchange with his gso 10.

I'm still a proponent of a 2nds mark observable without taking the scales off. I don't want a seller to mess with removing the hardware/scales to verify.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I hate to hear that happened to you. We knew it was coming for some of us for exactly the reasons that have been mentioned, but still hate to hear it man.

I don't know what order things happen with the blade finishing, or if seconds might be found after the logo is applied. But if it's at all possible, it would sure be nice to have that ghost logo on the seconds and the standard logo on the firsts. Or something that makes it readily noticeable. Sorry again to hear that bud.

I thought it was a 1sts, had no reason to believe the seller was not honest. Finally took of the scales to clean, and bam, there's the 2nd mark.

What I bought was not a collection piece for me, luckily. But still doesn't exactly sit right with me, even if the seller didn't know themselves.

I'm still a proponent of a 2nds mark observable without taking the scales off. I don't want a seller to mess with removing the hardware/scales to verify.

I hate to hear that happened to you. We knew it was coming for some of us for exactly the reasons that have been mentioned, but still hate to hear it man.

I don't know what order things happen with the blade finishing, or if seconds might be found after the logo is applied. But if it's at all possible, it would sure be nice to have that ghost logo on the seconds and the standard logo on the firsts. Or something that makes it readily noticeable. Sorry again to hear that bud.

That's terrible news! Is there ever the opportunity to ask the seller to remove the handles and look or take a pic?

Guy or Ellie never said how they feel about a visible seconds mark did they? From the instagram post about the ghost logo in wondering if Guy wanted to make that the new way to make marks or an option for firsts if people prefer it.

Are you sure it's the second mark and not the hardness test mark?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Are you sure it's the second mark and not the hardness test mark?

Based on info in this thread, Im pretty sure it's a seconds mark.

Really sorry to hear this Coiled, but we all knew it was coming.

The sellers have no reason to say it at this point, or bother taking the scales off as people rush to buy the old stock before the question is even asked or answered, so really I suppose they do not care. They just want massive piles of seconds and so long as the market is hungry like that, people will keep getting ripped off.

I say vote with your wallet. I refuse to buy anything unless sure I know what it is, and if I do get one on the big auction site that is misrepresented I will be going all way the with whatever measure I can.

Last edited:
Based on info in this thread, Im pretty sure it's a seconds mark.

Do you have 2 dimples beneath the scales? That's the easiest tell, one for being a second and other Rockwell testing.

The only second i handled had 2 dimples the one for a second being more pronounced.

In my experience the hardness test is a square or diamond shape, not a perfect nice little circle.

Really sorry to hear this Coiled, but we all knew it was coming.

The sellers have no reason to say it at this point, or bother taking the scales off as people rush to buy the old stock before the question is even asked or answered, so really I suppose they do not care. They just want massive piles of seconds and so long as the market is hungry like that, people will keep getting ripped off.

I say vote with your wallet. I refuse to buy anything unless sure I know what it is, and if I do get one on the big auction site that is misrepresented I will be going all way the with whatever measure I can.

I bought my 5.1 without asking or knowing. Maybe tonight I'll take the scale off and see. It comes down to buyer beware. If having a first vs a second is the reason you're purchasing that specific knife, ask the buyer for pictures.

Yeah, my old style were not nearly as perfect as the new ones, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.
I'm not worried in the least...the only one i have i suspectmay be a second is my latest 5... $195 for a new gso5 is unheard of lol...just haven't removed the scales yet...i will once i find tumbled hardware for it thou.

Back